• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 4/16 & 4/17

BackLoafRiver

I know I know...ttiuwp but, whatever.

If you are debating whether or not there is still snow in Maine, there is. In a big, BIG way.

Sugarloaf was out of control the past two days. Everything was open save Timby (so, obviously, the Snowfields were out at least, as of 2:30 today they weren't open) Temps were in the 50's both days.

Much like the report on K-Ton, things firmed up overnight last night so this morning was, firm. Even the groomers were rugged. By 11, patrol started dropping ropes and the whole mountain popped.

Yesterday the skiing was more consistently good. White Nitro was fantastic. Soft, carvable, and all around money. Gondi was gorgeous...I could go on and rave about it all day. Even the natural snow trails (Winter's Way and Double Biter) were skiing so well. Soft bumps (which I still can't ski but had fun working on) all over the hill. They didn't get most of the stuff open off Skyline until around 11 today. Yesterday you could hit it at 9 and it was prime.

Skidder was top to bottom bumps. Boomauger was smooth up top (from the exit of Nitro), bumped in the middle then finished smooth.

The bad news, the entire east side of the mountain is done with lifts for the year. So, King Pine, Whiffletree, and a few baby lifts won't turn. A bunch of the guys I talked to over the past few days said that Bracket is skiing quite well (especially the further right you go) BUT getting back is tricky. You have to make a big loop to the bottom of King Pine and take the cross cut back to the SuperQuad or Double Runner.

There is still snow everywhere. For how long is anyones guess but at least for the next few days it should be great.

Edd

Nice report. Wish I'd been there. Hoping for good weather next Monday and Tuesday.

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, doubt I'll get back up to da Loaf before next year's AZ Summit, but you never know. Is the back side open? ttiuwp? Great skiing with you again this year, looking forward to sharing some turns with you next year. How's the biking going? Gotta get mine out, need some new tires, got a nice one around my belly.:wink:

mlkrgr

Sugarloaf needs a highspeed gondola following the line of the old gondola line (even better if they can get it down lower to improve accessibility to get out of Brackett. That one lift would make Sugarloaf a true contender for more late season business.

BackLoafRiver

How do you know King Pine is done for the season? I thought that they could reopen it on the weekends.

I chatted with some Patrollers on the lift. They said the whole east side was done. I skied over there just to check it out and, sure enough, all grooming had stopped east of ramdown. There isn't enough traffic to warrant them running both lifts.