• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf/USA 12-09-06

loafer89

Area skied: Sugarloaf ME

Date skied: 12/09/06

Surface conditions: packed powder, loose granular, ice.

My family made a last minute to start the season at Sugarloaf based on the 9" of new snow that fell from yesterday's storm.

We started the day at 8:25am with light snowshowers and a temperature at 20F with a ride up the Superquad which had a 5 minute wait. Warren and I skied Tote Road which had packed powder above the Pick Pole intersection and a mix of ice cookies and packed powder to Chicken Pitch which had alot of powder blown onto it. Tote is a long run and my legs felt it at the end after being off of ski's for exactly 6 months to the day.

Sluice was our next run and it had alot of loose powder on it as did Lower Winters Way which combined to be the best run of the day.

Kings Landing just opened up yesterday and it was awful with ice cookies and unedgable ice in most places. Candyside had large gluelike whales on it and made for slow skiing.

Snow was being made on Hayburner all day and it may open on sunday. Guns where also going on parts of Narrow Guage and down the Snowbrook trail so that we could ski back to our condo. We ended the day at 3pm tired and sore after 6 hours of skiing.

The mountain has an honest 6" of natural snowcover, but alot more is needed along with snowmaking to spread out crowds by Christmas, but warmer weather is moving in and snowmaking conditions will become marginal even this far north.

We might ski at Sunday River before we head home tomorrow.

Last edited:

loafer89

I was not really in the mood for picture taking as it was cold and cloudy all day on saturday at Sugarloaf, but I did take this picture of my son at the bottom of Chicken Pitch which by this time of the day (2:00pm) was chicken masacare. Warren was on brand new 124cm K2 ski's and was skiing with poles for the first time, but having alot of trouble controlling his speed with the new ski's:

WarrenonToteRoad-1.jpg