• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suicide Six/This Weekend

Los

I'm trying to figure out where to go skiing Sunday with my very novice wife (along with my kids but I'm not worried about them). My options aren't great considering the weather and the holiday weekend:
-Suicide Six
-Dartmouth Skiway
-Middlebury Snow Bowl

(all purchased very cheaply from the ACE Ski Club - thanks Yeggous!)

It's very difficult to get information on conditions at any these, so should we just pick one and hope for the best?

OR, should I suck it up and buy a ticket for her at Waterville Valley, Cannon, or Bretton Woods, even though the crowds will be insane? (the rest of us have passes...)

What would YOU do?

bdfreetuna

I hope you do it just for the Trip Report and some photos. Never skied there but remember as a young kid thinking the place sounded pretty badass.

Jully

I would be hesitant to take a novice to any of those 3 smaller areas after a big warm-up/freeze like the one we are having. I am not familiar with any of those places though, so they could recover great and I just am not aware.

I would go to Bretton Woods, personally. Sunday will not be as bad as Saturday (IMO) and BW has, in the past, had better recovery ability after events like this.

Maybe Cannon for Tuckerbrook, fewer crowds, and potentially a greatly enhanced ability to recover than in previous years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I only have been once to Suicide Six and it was following a similar weather event as what we experienced this week. Looking at the trail report, there's pretty much the exact same terrain open as what I skied. Easy Mile is a great option for a novice skier and the other three routes off the top are enough to keep an intermediate well entertained.

Suicide Six looks like it would be a real hoot on a powder day if you wanted to hang onto your tickets for that. They have a few really nice steep trails, though they are short. If you don't see that happening, I would probably opt for it vs paying full holiday fair at the other three mountains you listed and fighting crowds. IMO it would be a much more relaxing environment for your wife.

Here's my trip report from a few years ago

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/127579-Suicide-Six-1-13-14?highlight=Suicide+Six

Los

Thanks gents -- I think I might try our luck at Suicide Six. The tickets were only $5 a piece, so it won't be a big loss if it's not great... Hitting a powder day there is a low probability anyway given my mon-fri 9-5 work schedule...

I'll try to take some pics and let you know how it goes...

Thanks again!

JoeB-Z

Thanks gents -- I think I might try our luck at Suicide Six. The tickets were only $5 a piece, so it won't be a big loss if it's not great... Hitting a powder day there is a low probability anyway given my mon-fri 9-5 work schedule...

I'll try to take some pics and let you know how it goes...

Thanks again!

This place is so old school and fun. The lodge and food etc are great. It is also small enough that they do everything they can to straighten bad conditions out. I bet the ski school is great for beginners too.

podunk77

It is also small enough that they do everything they can to straighten bad conditions out.

I was there once on a windy day and a lot of pine cones had fallen on a stretch of the Easy Mile trail. Ski patrol came by with some rakes and got busy raking them all off to the side. Not sure you'd see that at Killington. :)

dlague

Suicide Six is very prone to warming trends they have core trails that they can resurface but when we're skied there they trails were very icy and firm and the main run down the middle was the best. It is pretty small and has a lot of race traffic. Lodge gets very crowded.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app