• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Small Ski Areas - why?

Smellytele

Trying to figure out what "Small" is? Small is relative I guess. - Loveland not really small, I wouldn't say Wolf creek is either. Although compared to other CO areas they are.

Smellytele

Isn't the valley just part of Loveland as a whole? Like buying a ticket for just a beginner chair although in this case it is intermediate. Actually I think the ticket down there only covers chair 7 and the carpet

deadheadskier

Staff member
Favorite small New England area (and I make this judgement when conditions are prime) is probably Mount Abram - especially prior to the lodge fire. I hope they can fix that someday. The bubble is not desirable.) Love the trail layout, pitch, no run-out, decent challenge. I'd honestly rather ski Abram on a weekend powder day than SR.

Honorable mention goes to Big Rock up in Mars Hill. Very fun place to ski. $5 on Wednesday from 3-8 is tough to beat

4aprice

Isn't the valley just part of Loveland as a whole? Like buying a ticket for just a beginner chair although in this case it is intermediate. Actually I think the ticket down there only covers chair 7 and the carpet

Sure its part of Loveland but I've always considered it seperate. Got its own base lodge and Parking. Been there many times and never saw the transfer chair open. This past season when I was there they were using Chair 3 for racing. Not sure of the ticket situation. Having it to our selves that stormy day back in the 80's sure was a blast.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimmywilson69

the 3 resorts in Southcentral PA. Ski Roundtop, Ski Liberty, and Ski Whitetail. They are great for what they are. Feeder hills. Roundtop has the best snowmaking and preservation since it actually faces the correct way. Whitetail and liberty get totally mobbed on the weekends and skied off by noon. Whitetail does offer a legit 900' vertical which is nice compared to the others.

I can ski all 3 for $500 and none of them are "busy" during night sessions during the week. Roundtop is less than 10 miles from my garage so that's an obvious advantage.

Tin

Berkshire East

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The carpet triple and planned trails might bur them in the medium sized category. Berkie is one of those places that skis bigger imo due to each trail and woods having its own characteristics.

yeggous

CM lodge is outstanding from a functionality standpoint. Having 2 separate levels really works well. Plenty of room, large cubbies to store bags and a good flow.
Agreed the tables are not the best. They would do better having picnic tables or something I feel.

The pub while not the most rustic ski lodge bar in the world I think works quite well for what it is.
Food is pretty good in there and they have Rocket Fuel IPA on draft!

The lodge at CM isn't going to win any design awards, but it is very functional. Their bar food is much better now than it was a few years ago. Peaks upper their food quality (and prices) at CM and Wildcat at about the same time.

I have mixed emotions about the CM mug club. It is nice of them to open it to everyone, but I felt important being in the exclusive Wildcat mug club. Plus CM has a lot to learn about the quality of mugs and special promotions for its members.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

catsup948

The carpet triple and planned trails might bur them in the medium sized category. Berkie is one of those places that skis bigger imo due to each trail and woods having its own characteristics.

Berkshire East has a lot of available terrain for a mountain its size. When it has snow there is an insane amount of on map and off map trees worth skiing. The large new lodge and restaurant give it more of bigger mountain feel as well.

hammer

Pats Peak: nice variety, well run...mixed feelings about lack of high speed lift, but maybe that would cause too much traffic on the trails
Crotched: snowmaking, HSQ, good functional lodge
Whaleback: nice trail variety and surprisingly challenging for a small place

skinavy

the 3 resorts in Southcentral PA. Ski Roundtop, Ski Liberty, and Ski Whitetail. They are great for what they are. Feeder hills. Roundtop has the best snowmaking and preservation since it actually faces the correct way. Whitetail and liberty get totally mobbed on the weekends and skied off by noon. Whitetail does offer a legit 900' vertical which is nice compared to the others.

I can ski all 3 for $500 and none of them are "busy" during night sessions during the week. Roundtop is less than 10 miles from my garage so that's an obvious advantage.

- was totally about to nominate Roundtop too. Liberty is my home hill, but you are very correct about it & Whitetail being skied off by lunch. Lib & WT catch the DC/NoVa market, whereas Roundtop does not so much- less crowded. It's also older- early 60s, more rustic feel, older-style (narrower) trails. Whitetail was almost custom-made for boarders with all those long fall-line boulevards off the HSQ.
We stay in Gettysburg cheap every weekend and bounce between Liberty & Roundtop.

4aprice

Plattekill.

Best Saturday ski area in the east. Good variety of trails, narrow, wide open, steeps, moguls, groomed, etc...

It's like you stepped into the 1960s ski scene (or at least I think it is given I wasn't around).

70's, it was more 60's like when the T-Bar was still in operation.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ