• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer family beach vacation ideas

Greg

Staff member
We normally go to Cape Cod every summer with my in-laws, but that looks like it's not going to happen this year. So, we're looking for some ideas on other places to go. The biggest criteria is beach access. We're open to any place along the East coast from southern Maine to Maryland, but would like to keep it within 5-6 hours from CT. I'm thinking somewhere a little off the beaten path, but still someplace with nice restaurants, and a few things for little kids to do (mini golf, etc.). Again, the biggest attraction is going to be the beach though. I'd prefer to rent a cottage/small house. Beach front is not mandatory, but walking distance would be nice. Would like to keep the weekly rental cost down to say $1,000 - $1,200.

Some initial thoughts are Cape May, NJ or Ocean City, MD, but I know nothing about these places. Any other suggestions?

Puck it

We normally go to Cape Cod every summer with my in-laws, but that looks like it's not going to happen this year. So, we're looking for some ideas on other places to go. The biggest criteria is beach access. We're open to any place along the East coast from southern Maine to Maryland, but would like to keep it within 5-6 hours from CT. I'm thinking somewhere a little off the beaten path, but still someplace with nice restaurants, and a few things for little kids to do (mini golf, etc.). Again, the biggest attraction is going to be the beach though. I'd prefer to rent a cottage/small house. Beach front is not mandatory, but walking distance would be nice. Would like to keep the weekly rental cost down to say $1,000 - $1,200.

Some initial thoughts are Cape May, NJ or Ocean City, MD, but I know nothing about these places. Any other suggestions?

Have you thought about Las Lenas or Portillo? May cost a little more though!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

2knees

Stick to the cape.

popponnesset (sp) is great for kids. not my idea of the cape but everything you need is within walking distance. a bunch of us (not from here) are renting houses the same week. you should join in the fun.

4aprice

Cape May's nice. Don't know if I'd consider it off the beaten path but it's certainly not Wildwood or god forbid Seaside (see the show Jersey Shore). Water is nice pretty much from July to the end of the summer. I would estimate 4 to 4 1/2 hours from your location.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Greg

Staff member
Cape May's nice. Don't know if I'd consider it off the beaten path but it's certainly not Wildwood or god forbid Seaside (see the show Jersey Shore). Water is nice pretty much from July to the end of the summer. I would estimate 4 to 4 1/2 hours from your location.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thanks Alex. I guess "off the beaten path" is too vague. We really like the Dennis-Harwich-Chatham area on Cape Cod. Plenty to do, but it's not as crazy as Yarmouth westward into Hyannis, and not as desolate as the far outer Cape. We used to all pitch in on a beach house which made it affordable, but doing this as just the four of us this year, it's too expensive there.

I've been to Wildwood once about 15 years ago and that is not what we are looking for. Cape May does seem a little more low key.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hampton Beach

loads of rentals walking distance from the beach. It's Coney Island hokey as can be, but a short drive up to North Beach or Rye and it's much more low key. Plenty of stuff for kids to do and if you wish to skip the beach a day, largest Waterpark in New England is just up the road in Portsmouth. My uncle takes his family and young kids there every year and they love it. 10 minutes away there is great mountain biking in Exeter.

Something a bit more low key would be York Beach, ME. Has a great Zoo / Amusement park for little kids.

water is damn cold up this way, so I would wait until August.

Hawkshot99

Bit farther than you requested, and not walk to beach location, but my family has been going down to Chincoteague VA for 19 years now, and now have a place there.

It is 50 mins south of Ocean City Md. Nice small town feel. It is a 5-10 min. drive to the beach on Assateague Island (a national sea shore) were there are wild horses running around.

No idea on the cost of renting a place, as we always camped, and now own.

hammer

Grew up near Long Beach Island, NJ (between Seaside Heights and Atlantic City). LBI's a bit more commercial than Cape May, but there's no boardwalk or high rise units. Would definitely be more low key than Seaside Heights or Wildwood.

WakeboardMom

Hampton Beach

loads of rentals walking distance from the beach. It's Coney Island hokey as can be, but a short drive up to North Beach or Rye and it's much more low key. Plenty of stuff for kids to do and if you wish to skip the beach a day, largest Waterpark in New England is just up the road in Portsmouth. My uncle takes his family and young kids there every year and they love it. 10 minutes away there is great mountain biking in Exeter.

Something a bit more low key would be York Beach, ME. Has a great Zoo / Amusement park for little kids.

I spent every summer at Hampton Beach and wouldn't go back, but you do a good job of making it sound appealing! I think if one stayed up at North Beach, you could actually be closer to the water but still not far from the arcades and such.

We have friends who have been renting at York for a million years. They rent a cottage that's directly across the street from the beach. It's pretty awesome, you can see Nubble Light and smell the ocean and hear the waves; but you'd have to drive to the zoo, mini-golf etc.

I'm betting that Hampton would be less money than York.

HD333

Hampton Beach

For something a bit more laid back than Hampton Beach try the Seabrook NH area for renting. Anywhere along Atlantic Ave is perfect, but anywhere between RTE 286 and the drawbridge that goes to Hampton is nice. The beach is much more chill, no public parking so you really only get other weekly renters/owners, it is alot less hectic than Hampton Beach. You are close enough to walk down to Hampton or over to Salisbury for min-golf/kiddie fun so you get the best of both worlds.

Seabrook NH Beach is in my opinion one of the most underated pieces of coastline on the east coast, and no the water is not warmer as a result of the nuclear power plant.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Greg, Cape May is not off the beaten path but it is family centered and great for little kids. If you get a place near the main part of town, the beach access is great and there is a small pedestrian street with restaurants, lots of which are BYOB, which is an added bonus. Rental costs for the week will probably be higher though.

Look into the Delaware Shore: Rehobeth, Dewey and Bethany. They are also good for kids, lots of beach access and prices are a bit lower than the Jersey Shore.

You could also look into parts of LBI....great beach access and pretty mellow attitude..parts are a bit young and party-like but others are more mellow and yet others are very upscale. It's nice.

Greg

Staff member
Did a bunch of research this afternoon. I think I might have just found the perfect little spot!

Beetlenut

Look into the Delaware Shore: Rehobeth, Dewey and Bethany. They are also good for kids, lots of beach access and prices are a bit lower than the Jersey Shore.

I second that, plus Fenwick Island. Lots of beach front houses between Rehobeth Beach and Fenwick Island. Have you thought of the lakes region in New Hampshire. Lots of smaller lakes like Winnisquam, Squam, and Waukewan that would be more off the beaten path, but close to lots of things to do. Plus fresh water is a nice change, and you could do some day hikes in the mountains.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I second that, plus Fenwick Island. Lots of beach front houses between Rehobeth Beach and Fenwick Island. Have you thought of the lakes region in New Hampshire. Lots of smaller lakes like Winnisquam, Squam, and Waukewan that would be more off the beaten path, but close to lots of things to do. Plus fresh water is a nice change, and you could do some day hikes in the mountains.
I was going to suggest this. If you have the desire to do the commercial stuff, you could always drive up (long drive I know) to North Conway and there are some cool things to do with kids up there, too. Mini Golf, Storyland, Whale's Tale in North Woodstock (water park). I'm pretty sure there's a water park near Winnipesaukee, too. We haven't stayed in that region, but we have stayed in North Woodstock and explored outwards down to Winnipesaukee (did the cruise; I don't think the kids would like it). I imagine that place is a zoo in the summer though; it was May when we went.

MR. evil

Does it have to be a beach on the ocean? How about a lake? When I was a kid we used to vacation on lake George alot. Alot to do there, and great for families (atleast it was back then)