• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee Beach/Tailgating

mccleaks

Every time I head up to Sunapee I see everyone with their tailgate set-ups on "the beach" between the 2 lodges. Just curious if anyone knows how early you need to show up to get one of those spots and what the rules are on tailgating?

I see people with grills and coolers all the time. So I assume it's above bar to grill some lunch and bring a couple beers. Is there anything that's not allowed and I should leave at home? And is this legit any day of the season or just in the spring?

Thanks

4aprice

Every time I head up to Sunapee I see everyone with their tailgate set-ups on "the beach" between the 2 lodges. Just curious if anyone knows how early you need to show up to get one of those spots and what the rules are on tailgating?

I see people with grills and coolers all the time. So I assume it's above bar to grill some lunch and bring a couple beers. Is there anything that's not allowed and I should leave at home? And is this legit any day of the season or just in the spring?

Thanks

Was up there New Years eve and there were some legit set ups on the beach. I would imagine you need to be there quite early. Maybe some nice spring day I'll have to get there to see it really in action. The beach at A Basin is the best I've seen.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mccleaks

Was up there New Years eve and there were some legit set ups on the beach. I would imagine you need to be there quite early. Maybe some nice spring day I'll have to get there to see it really in action. The beach at A Basin is the best I've seen.

I have all the gear from Patriots tailgates. Grills, tent, heaters, lawn game, etc. It would just suck to pack everything up for a 2 hour drive only to get there too late and miss out on one of the front row spots.

telemike

Pretty sure they frown on alcohol consumption there. An hour early ought to get you a spot though.

Smellytele

One thing is I’ve seen it full early as it gets filled with skinners but then slowly gets refilled after the first few rows are filled and skinners are leaving.

jimmywilson69

The skinners vs tailgators has become a things at Roundtop believe it or not... As someone who does both it isn't an issue for me 😁🍻

drjeff

The reality is becoming that since skinning is now fully embraced by all of the "cool kids", and certainly has seen its popularity soar the last few years, will it get to the level of contention that the skiers vs snowboarders "debates" back in the 80's/90's got to?

Also, there certainly are a small percentage of skinners out there who are going to likely end up with some greater quantities of restrictions being placed on the entire skiining population with the way that they seem to feel that the rules that many ski areas have put in place for mountain operational safety reasons, don't apply to them.

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out over the coming years, as it seems that the era where there were few skinners and hence very little "restrictions" being placed on when/where they can skin at a ski area is over across the most of the industry, and is now at the point where some efforts on the part of the ski areas to put some guidance on skinning, which will be met with not exactly open arms by some, is here. And the back and forth until both sides reach a happy middle ground likely won't be a smooth road

jimmywilson69

Yeah based on some of the things that have been reported to happening last season I agree. Another thing that has appeared at Roundtop is there are a number of folks who don't have a season pass who are skiing for free in the mornings skinning. It seems most places have at least some fee which is more to make you sign the waiver than to collect a little bit of money. If you have a season pass there is not typically additional charges.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Definitely frown on beers in the parking lot at Sunapee. They patrol it and will tell you to dump your beers.

jimmywilson69

Really? that's pretty weak sauce

Is this a Vail thing? Because its not that way at Roundtop, I'd venture to say the parking lot scene there is very much like the beach at A-Basin

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really? that's pretty weak sauce

Is this a Vail thing? Because its not that way at Roundtop, I'd venture to say the parking lot scene there is very much like the beach at A-Basin

If I recall correctly, Sunapee contracts with the local Newbury PD for security and they were the ones asking to have people dump beers (per Vail's instructions) because the property is leased. Cannon allows it as it's legal to consume beers in state parks except for when posted. Sunapee is the only ski area in New England I have seen people get a hard time for drinking in the lot.

thebigo

Dont have much experience tailgating at sunapee but the t-shirt race in late march was about the most blatant BYOB I have seen at a ski area. Not quite the preakness or Jimmy Buffet but next best thing. We had a bottle of baileys next to the box of joe on our table at 7 AM. Cocktails were mixed in paper cups but there were people walking around with bottles/cans of beer. Was pleasantly surprised nobody hassled any of the clubs. Think we arrived around 6:45, parked in the second row. If my memory is any good, there were around 300+ athletes from all over the northeast, maybe 1000+ people when you include coaches, parents and siblings?

Edit - sure it comes down to money. Race is a big revenue center at a slow time of year. Vail wants joey epic pass to buy 1.72 overpriced drafts on everyone of his 6.23 ski days.

Last edited:

Hawk

Definitely frown on beers in the parking lot at Sunapee. They patrol it and will tell you to dump your beers.
I agree that is pretty weak. There are no restictions at Sunday River, Sugarbush, Killington and Stowe. At least when I skied there. Have you seen this yourself DHS?

Hawk

The reality is becoming that since skinning is now fully embraced by all of the "cool kids", and certainly has seen its popularity soar the last few years, will it get to the level of contention that the skiers vs snowboarders "debates" back in the 80's/90's got to?

Also, there certainly are a small percentage of skinners out there who are going to likely end up with some greater quantities of restrictions being placed on the entire skiining population with the way that they seem to feel that the rules that many ski areas have put in place for mountain operational safety reasons, don't apply to them.

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out over the coming years, as it seems that the era where there were few skinners and hence very little "restrictions" being placed on when/where they can skin at a ski area is over across the most of the industry, and is now at the point where some efforts on the part of the ski areas to put some guidance on skinning, which will be met with not exactly open arms by some, is here. And the back and forth until both sides reach a happy middle ground likely won't be a smooth road
Personnally I can't see any reason to skin where there are lifts. But that is me. I skin to find power and get away from people. So the rules aren't really an issue with me and it's not really interesting to see where that will all come out. It is funny to me that non-skinners get all bent out of shape about people bending the rules. What is the big deal. A say what other people do is thier business, well unless it affects me but this certainly doesn't.

Anyway, there are way to many cool places to explore on skins in the Mad river valley and surrounding areas to skin at the mountain. I gave up on all the rules making and now just ignore all the rule emails, restrictions and fighting. I still say if people want to skin then more power to them. Let's face it. Rules are made by very conservative people who feel they have to save everybody and protect people. When in actuality, the rules are there to protect us from the 1% who have no common sense, poor judgement and are basic asshats. As most know, I really hate both the rules makers and the 1%.

Edd

I agree that is pretty weak. There are no restictions at Sunday River, Sugarbush, Killington and Stowe. At least when I skied there. Have you seen this yourself DHS?
I’ve experienced it personally. Pretty sure it was the 20-21 season.

jimmywilson69

I skin at Roundtop because its often the only place that has snow in Central PA! Id love to skin "in the wild" but that's not often possible down here

Hawk

Ya I can see how it might be an issue down there. Places with low snow conditions are certainly an exception i think