• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee question

Bumpsis

I'll be renewing my IKON for 22/23 season but I'm thinking about supplementing it with Epic Day pass for a few sessions at Sunapee. It's the closest to me for day skiing and another friend will be getting his Epic Local so he's on me to get it.

So is Sunapee worth it for a few days pass? How was their snow making, grooming, lift lines, and lodge services this season? Especially on weekdays?
Given the neglect of Vail areas here in the NH (Attitash, Wildcat) and complaints evident in the "Vail sucks" thread I'm somewhat hesitant.

I used to really like Sunapee before Vail's ownership. They had good snow and weekday sessions were just great.

machski

I'll be renewing my IKON for 22/23 season but I'm thinking about supplementing it with Epic Day pass for a few sessions at Sunapee. It's the closest to me for day skiing and another friend will be getting his Epic Local so he's on me to get it.

So is Sunapee worth it for a few days pass? How was their snow making, grooming, lift lines, and lodge services this season? Especially on weekdays?
Given the neglect of Vail areas here in the NH (Attitash, Wildcat) and complaints evident in the "Vail sucks" thread I'm somewhat hesitant.

I used to really like Sunapee before Vail's ownership. They had good snow and weekday sessions were just great.
I skied there sparingly this year, once early and once last week. They were quite slow in December to get the snowmaking kicked into high gear (heard they shipped their snowmaking team to Okemo mid December to get them going faster). What they had open was good, but given the temps during their crew shift stretch, they could have had double open what they did have. Lodge back then was vax check to get in.
Flash forward to last week, snow was going up quite well (except for Upper Blast Off, the very top was melting out fast) and appeared they really laid it down once they got rolling. Every lift you would expect was spinning, crowds were light. In the lodge, no more vac check, only food was in main lodge, and they even had some storage cubbies back out and available downstairs (not to the extent they once did, but nice to see any available again).

So yes, especially if you are teaming up with a friend/friends who ski Sunapee a lot, it is probably worth grabbing an Epic Day pass for a few midweek days. If going that route, plan a day or 2 as well at the bigger areas, it is worth it.

snoseek

Sunapee is a best enjoyed midweek imo alot like loon.
Anyhow things got off to a slow start but man have they done a fantastic job here for the second half. I feel like they've worked out some kinks and are back to being a great little daytrip place. Was there last Saturday and the place felt very midweek so once the peak season is over its not nearly as bad. I'm here today and they really have put the mountain back together into a smooth consistent surface. Out of all the vail owned properties in nh sunapee was easily the best run.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
With Crotched Mountain closed on Mondays and Tuesdays in the 2021-2 season, I found my way to Sunapee on 23 days. They got off to a rough start with essentially 2-T2Bs until Xmas. By mid-January, they really got their act together. The remainder of the season featured deep machine-made snow, excellent grooming and generally pleasant skiing. Natural snow, which they can't be blamed for, was in short supply making their glades mostly closed. For some reason, management did not leave the several mogul fields that I like. However, this tends to be a year-to-year decision by management. Weekend crowds were off-the-charts (I am told. I didn't ski any weekend days there), but weekdays were pretty much a minute or less wait.

BodeMiller1

Hey Joshua, if you want to play you have to pay. Sunapee is great for snowboarders, families butt if you can ski a lick it's not challenging. The cool thing about Sunapee is it was built before snow making came into vogue. The trails are flat, so three or four inches of snow and the mountain skis well. Also, customer service is much better than other places. That's The New Hampshire way.

Meow

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
BodeMiller1 said, "Sunapee is great for snowboarders, families butt if you can ski a lick it's not challenging."

The fact is Goosebumps mogulled up and a number of the glades can be a fun challenge. That being said, beyond Tuckerman, Cannon and Wildcat; suggest an NH area that really has anything truly challenging. For that, you have to go to VT or ME.

Smellytele

BodeMiller1 said, "Sunapee is great for snowboarders, families butt if you can ski a lick it's not challenging."

The fact is Goosebumps mogulled up and a number of the glades can be a fun challenge. That being said, beyond Tuckerman, Cannon and Wildcat; suggest an NH area that really has anything truly challenging. For that, you have to go to VT or ME.
Black has some short challenging pitches.
Waterville when sunny side is an ice sheet is challenging.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Black has some short challenging pitches.
Waterville when sunny side is an ice sheet is challenging.
Make it icy enough and even McIntyre is challenging.

No, I'm not talking about short steeps: I'm talking about Ripcord, Mt. Snow; Paradise, MRG; the front 4, Stowe; Castlerock, Sugarbush; the Jet Area, Jay; Lower Ovation, Killington; etc.

KustyTheKlown

Make it icy enough and even McIntyre is challenging.

No, I'm not talking about short steeps: I'm talking about Ripcord, Mt. Snow; Paradise, MRG; the front 4, Stowe; Castlerock, Sugarbush; the Jet Area, Jay; Lower Ovation, Killington; etc.

dont lump mt snow ripcord in with those real things. ripcord is one icy headwall on a very short trail with a bail out

also jet stuff isnt the most challenging at jay - on the map, that would be everglade/staircase, deliverance, upper quai, vertigo.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not on the map, but Skiers right trees of Goosebumps has some really challenging glades with some significant drops if there's the snow and you are up for it. 20 footer in there and a couple of tens.

Ive never seen Goosebumps not groomed flat as a pancake. Flying Goose is the bump run on that terrain pod.

KustyTheKlown

my favorite drops off map are at smuggs. i think they call it snake bite. accessed near top of black snake on the sterling side. chill glades lead to a series of 4-8 foot drops. so fun with good snow.