• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 03-22-08

loafer89

Area skied: Sunday River

Date skied: March 22nd, 2008 from 8:00am - 3:45pm

Surface conditions: Machine gromed, hardpacked, limited loose powder.

Weather: sun and cloudy, 18F at 8:00am, 30F at 3:45pm

Today was a very different ski experience from yesterdays powder with Sunday River featuring the typical New England style surface conditions of hardpacked and some slick spots.

Sunday River barely received any new snow from this weekends storm, maybe 1-2" near the summits, but not much more. We skied alot of the mountain from Lollapalooza in Jordan Bowl to Obsession on White Cap and the skiing way nothing great but nothing horrible either. The mountain has rediculous amounts of snow on it, but last weeks freezing rain ruined the natural surface cover in the woods and all glades where closed along with quite a few natural snow trails.

The day was spent doing high speed cruising on Dreamaker, Grand Rapids, Rogue Angel, Excalibur, Northern Lights and runs off of Spruce Peak. Anything not groomed was closed and had a nasty coating of 1/2" thick ice.

Warren skied Top Gun for the first time and it was groomed right down the middle. He also skied a groomed Vortex which was a bit too steep for him but he managed it okay with just one fall.

The mountain will have great spring skiing for quite a while into April and maybe May once we get some consistent warmer weather to produce corn snow and thaw out the layer of ice on top of it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds like similar conditions as I experienced at Shawnee Peak today. However, the whole place was pretty much skied off during my late afternoon sessions 4-6. Glad I got out for the exercise, but certainly wish I was skiing somewhere else that got some better help from Mother Nature.

Angus

sounds like Cannon today as well although they did get probably 6-8" of new snow. could be a great spring if the weather warms. nice base. bumps have been groomed out everywhere - not sure when given hadn't skied there since December. good amount of ice on wind exposed trails.

loafer89

Sounds like similar conditions as I experienced at Shawnee Peak today. However, the whole place was pretty much skied off during my late afternoon sessions 4-6. Glad I got out for the exercise, but certainly wish I was skiing somewhere else that got some better help from Mother Nature.

Well I think we just need warmer weather from here on as there is entirely too much snow in Western Maine as is, we just need some normal spring weather to soften things up. Even at The Balsams, the 12" of powder was great, but the freezing rain crust underneath was still evident.

deadheadskier

Staff member
there is entirely too much snow in Western Maine as is
:blink:

Call me greedy if you will, but imo there is never too much snow

Though I agree, I would rather it be warm and skiing corn snow than the surface I was on today. That said, looking at the TR's from Stowe and Sugarbush the past couple of days.....I'd much prefer that over corn

TC

I have not skied sunday river since 1988. Back then white heat and T2 were the bump runs to hit. Is that still the case? I know they have more terrain open but is it quality diamonds with chalanging terrain? I was considering the N.E. pass for next year.

loafer89

:blink:

Call me greedy if you will, but imo there is never too much snow

Though I agree, I would rather it be warm and skiing corn snow than the surface I was on today. That said, looking at the TR's from Stowe and Sugarbush the past couple of days.....I'd much prefer that over corn

Lift and trail signs are in danger of being lost in deep snow at the Balsams and I can hit the chair while skiing on several runs at Sunday River because the snow is soo deep.

I agree with you 100% I am ready for corn snow at this time of the year though as we have more than enough base.

Terry

I guess we just missed you. We left just after 4:00. The east side softened up nice in the early afternoon. Much better than the main side. Even made a run down through the woods. It was a bit scratchy in the trees but certainly skiable. Hopefully it will soften up more today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess we just missed you. We left just after 4:00. The east side softened up nice in the early afternoon. Much better than the main side. Even made a run down through the woods. It was a bit scratchy in the trees but certainly skiable. Hopefully it will soften up more today.

Yeah, I would've thought the main side would've softened more than it did. Lower 'the face' i think it's called, the race trail was pretty good, but everything up top was pretty solid / scappy. I was thinking that the east sid would've been better, but unfortunately couldn't make it over until 4.

Have fun out there today! Unfortunately, got to help my old job with a holiday brunch.

loafer89

A loafer TR without a picture of Warren? I feel jipped.

There was not much worth taking pictures of, basically it was a day of skiing groomers.

Anyway I did brave losing my fingers to frostbite at the Balsams to get in some powder pictures.