• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 12/10/06

loafer89

Area skied: Sunday River.

Date skied: December 10th, 2006 9:30am-12:30pm.

Surface conditions: packed powder, hardpack, icy spots.

We got a later start at Sunday River after driving down from Sugarloaf and we arrived at the South Ridge base lodge at 9:30am.

There is MUCH less natural snow here than at Sugarloaf and it was remarkable how the snowcover became sparce as we neared Bethel. That said Sunday River more than made up for the lack of natural snow with impressive snowmaking.

It's been 8 years since I last skied here and I am
not very familiar with the area. I started off the day by taking the South Ridge Triple to avoid the long line for the South Ridge Express which turned out to be a big mistake as the chair stopped three times on the way up and this occured on every other chairlift ride for the rest of the day.

I skied down Tourist Trap which had huge snowmaking whales on it to a monster sized line for the Sunday River Express that went fast in the singles lane.

I skied down Lazy River which was nice except for the high wind at the top of Barker Mountain that whipped snow into my face. I skied this to the Spruce Peak Triple and skied American Express which had nice buttery soft moguls on skier's left that where fun to ski.

Right Stuff was my next run and it was basically man made snow over ice and very treacherous at one point below the Goat Path intersection.

Upper Sunday Punch and Cascades where somewhat icy and crowded with several "speed control" ambassador's yelling at people to slow down.

Lower Risky Business:

LowerRiskyBusiness.jpg

Risky Business:

RiskyBusiness.jpg

Last edited:

maineskier69

We were in line at 8am, smartest move of the day. Started from Barker and banged out a half a dozen runs over there and then moved to Spruce and hit Risky Business which was sweet (Amex is the next one over loafer). Took a break at 10:15 and made 3 more runs stopping at 11:30.

Risky got trail of the day hands down. If the crowds were a bit more diluted it would have been nicer but a great day out on the slopes anyhoo.

Hit it early..... Quit it early...

loafer89

My bad with the incorrect name for the trail with the moguls on Spruce Peak, it was Risky Business.

I am a Sugarloafer on foreign soil.

Terry

Risky was definately sweet today. We hit it all morning and made my last run at about 11:45. Great day on the hill. :daffy:

MonkeyBrook

Hit RB at 8:15 this am with 3 kids in tow....they loved it after a few complaints about the wind. Great day, nice sun and clear sky.

UberIM

SL

Area skied: Sunday River.

Date skied: December 10th, 2006 9:30am-12:30pm.

Surface conditions: packed powder, hardpack, icy spots.

We got a later start at Sunday River after driving down from Sugarloaf and we arrived at the South Ridge base lodge at 9:30am.

There is MUCH less natural snow here than at Sugarloaf and it was remarkable how the snowcover became sparce as we neared Bethel. That said Sunday River more than made up for the lack of natural snow with impressive snowmaking.

How are conditions at the Loaf?