• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 12/11/2006

deadheadskier

Staff member
First day out and a pretty good one. I was a bit worried driving through some light rain as I left Portland this morning, but a half hour in and there was no precipitation at all. Would've liked to see the temps a bit colder so they could be making snow, but it was about five degrees to warm up top and more so down below.

I was fairly impressed with the amount of terrain the mountain had covered in a week's time considering the poor start to the season. That being said, I do have one gripe in that is that they didn't have the Locke Triple open and access to T2 was cut off for race training. Cascades was cut off as well for trainin early on, but opened to the public late morning which made for some great cruising.

One suprise I had was that they had not groomed Upper Risky Business. There were a few intermediates struggling with the trail as it was the only way down. Even though it said at the lift, Advanced terrain only, I bet more than a few people were suprised at what they found on a Blue run. There was actually a few decent bump lines here and there, but for the most part it was not all that fun as it was flat for stretches then inconsistent bumps. Tough to get a rythm going. Same goes for Right Stuff. Though it was nice to limber up the legs a bit on a few bump lines as I wasn't expecting them.

All and all a good day. I set out to take ten runs and call it a day - just enough to get a few cobwebs out and start getting my legs back under me.

Looks like they should have a run or two off North Peak open this weekend and perhaps American Express on Spruce as well.

ga2ski

thanks for the report. I believe they were letting the water drain out of Risky and Right Stuff. They usally groom them two days after the guns are turned off.

Glad you had fun . . . I'm sure it was better than work

maineskier69

Surprised that Right Stuff wasn't buffed out. I got my share of RB yesterday so you can thank me for those bumplines up top.