• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

xlr8r

I rode the Loon Rivers Edge Double last year. No one is there to check if you are an owner or not if you ski down there, just wave or smile to the lift operator, I doubt they care. Just make sure you take the first left hand turn after leaving Boom run, otherwise I think the trail dead ends.

Andrew B.

I would imagine if they make it home owner only they could just issue a separate RFID for those that qualify. But what about friends coming over for a mid day lunch?

I see it happening more like xlr8’s example. What are they going to make you do, schlep back up the hill with a likely empty chairs running over your head if you make a “mistake”?

machski

I would imagine if they make it home owner only they could just issue a separate RFID for those that qualify. But what about friends coming over for a mid day lunch?

I see it happening more like xlr8’s example. What are they going to make you do, schlep back up the hill with a likely empty chairs running over your head if you make a “mistake”?
I agree, signage and ropes at the entrance to try and deter but I doubt the backside trails will be very interesting. xlr8r, I take it the run down to Loon's riveredge Double was nothing to write home about, yeah?

xlr8r

Its a typical real estate trail. I remember there being 1 or 2 bridges you get to go over. Fun to try once. The lift is one of the shortest chairs I have been on. Surprised they built it considering there are not that many houses served by the trail that leads to the lift. Most houses down there are served by dead end trails. With staffing already at a premium it is two extra lift operators for a lift barely anyone uses. But then again anyone that owns one of those houses has the money to subsidize the lift and its operation.

machski

Its a typical real estate trail. I remember there being 1 or 2 bridges you get to go over. Fun to try once. The lift is one of the shortest chairs I have been on. Surprised they built it considering there are not that many houses served by the trail that leads to the lift. Most houses down there are served by dead end trails. With staffing already at a premium it is two extra lift operators for a lift barely anyone uses. But then again anyone that owns one of those houses has the money to subsidize the lift and its operation.
Yup, and the main trail at least has Snowmaking. I'm sure that was in the real estate budget for install and operations is likely part of HOA fees. It is short, have looked down the line but kind of steep. Would suck to own a $5mil+ home and have to schlep up that pitch to start every day. It runs rarely though, so I'm interested to see if MH Triple (current lift) runs daily next season once a trail(s) are ready to go or just weekend/holidays. Would love to know what buyers have been told in those regards.

machski

MH is a horrible location to drive to or ski in/out of.
Were you considering purchasing a lot? Depending on the lot, ski out would be quite nice (access to Double Refraction for direct access to North Peak Express wouldn't be too shabby) and assuming lift is turning, ski in too. Driving to, well yeah, about as bad as driving to the Jordan.

Riverveteran

All things considered I think it's a pretty great ski on/off location.

As for driving, these people aren't going to be commuting anywhere is it really a big issue?
Driven up that road? I would say its a pretty big issue, never go out to eat? Ever ski in Nov. Dec, April when that side of the mountain is closed? Gotta drive 15 minutes to South Ridge or Barker, when you could ski there in less than 5.

machski

At the Real Estate office today, non of the homes under construction are ready this season so this, just Sat/Sun Holidays the balance this year for MH. Future years, sounded like it turns every day and target is open by Christmas week. With the increased water flow to Jordan next year, we may see Jordan earlier than ever. Probable the MH owners will have parking privileges at Jordan if MH isn't open yet. That's a short drive for them. But yes, town is a bit of a hike.

machski

Quantum was a blast today with the silk snow from the SR7's skier's right. Dreamy and a ton of snow fast in these temps. Dreamaker too had some large whales today. Wizards Gulch opened first time officially today, was quite nice. A bit of the crust here and there but over all skied well. Looked like patrol may have sidestep packed lower Wizards in spots as well. Thanks to them for that (they did under Aurora on Super Nova). Asked at the Heat shack I'd they new the plan for Shockwave, they said unfortunately they had not been told. Both hoped it would get Snowmaking soon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Driven up that road? I would say its a pretty big issue, never go out to eat? Ever ski in Nov. Dec, April when that side of the mountain is closed? Gotta drive 15 minutes to South Ridge or Barker, when you could ski there in less than 5.

This is somewhat why I question the (long off) plans for the Western Reserve and potentially a village out that way? It's a pain in the neck to drive over there. I'd rather be near the existing services on the access road and closer to Bethel.

machski

This is somewhat why I question the (long off) plans for the Western Reserve and potentially a village out that way? It's a pain in the neck to drive over there. I'd rather be near the existing services on the access road and closer to Bethel.
I agree. I seriously doubt they will be going too far beyond the current Jordan. Long rumor is trails and a lift off the backside of it and Oz which I could see. I must say the new parking in Jordan is quite nice with a ski in/out trail to the lot. I would say step 1 to WR is to build a day portal out by Jordan. If that happens, then I think they get serious about WR but not before.

Newpylong

So they did pretty good. Only leaves Eureka since Agony is apparently non-operational and Polaris/Backside has not been repaired.

Riverveteran

I agree. I seriously doubt they will be going too far beyond the current Jordan. Long rumor is trails and a lift off the backside of it and Oz which I could see. I must say the new parking in Jordan is quite nice with a ski in/out trail to the lot. I would say step 1 to WR is to build a day portal out by Jordan. If that happens, then I think they get serious about WR but not before.
Think there is a chance they run Jordan late season to start work on Barker? Sort of like they closed Jordan early last season?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Day lodge in Jordan makes sense to me. And if they're gonna go for the village thing, it should go in the South Ridge parking lot. Do something like Stratton with a parking garage if that's the development scale you want to go for.

Early bird unwashed fill up Barker and White Cap, late risers head to Jordan.

The topography off the back of OZ/J looks pretty compelling for a new pod. The views towards the whites would be incredible

machski

Think there is a chance they run Jordan late season to start work on Barker? Sort of like they closed Jordan early last season?
Not without a true day skier portal in Jordan even though it does hold snow better. My guess would be Spruce/Aurora late season with Chondi up/down when a route down to South Ridge isn't doable.