• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

bigbob

Day lodge in Jordan makes sense to me. And if they're gonna go for the village thing, it should go in the South Ridge parking lot. Do something like Stratton with a parking garage if that's the development scale you want to go for.

Early bird unwashed fill up Barker and White Cap, late risers head to Jordan.

The topography off the back of OZ/J looks pretty compelling for a new pod. The views towards the whites would be incredible
Wasn't there a mention of a Peak Lodge at Jordon? I think some of the sitework was completed this past summer, ie, preparing an area for it? I agree, some sort of day lodge at Jordon will be needed. Looking at tomorrows forecast I may head to Sunday River rather than Killington.

xlr8r

Putting a village at Jordan connecting to the Hotel topography wise does not make sense to me as the Jordan Hotel is located 200vtf higher than the base of Jordan. It would end up being a village full of stairs. The location they put the Jordan Hotel has always been a bit of a head scratcher, I get locating it where it is gives better views from the rooms, but it has always been stupid to have it accessible only from a single trail that has to be skied from the summit. They should have put the Jordan Hotel at the base of Jordan with a lodge built in like Jackson Gore at Okemo. One of the many questionable thing Les Otten did.

At this point a day lodge should be built at Jordan. To start it could even just be a cheap tent like at Loon South Peak. It just is odd now having the biggest lift on the mountain located far away from a lodge.

drjeff

Putting a village at Jordan connecting to the Hotel topography wise does not make sense to me as the Jordan Hotel is located 200vtf higher than the base of Jordan. It would end up being a village full of stairs. The location they put the Jordan Hotel has always been a bit of a head scratcher, I get locating it where it is gives better views from the rooms, but it has always been stupid to have it accessible only from a single trail that has to be skied from the summit. They should have put the Jordan Hotel at the base of Jordan with a lodge built in like Jackson Gore at Okemo. One of the many questionable thing Les Otten did.

At this point a day lodge should be built at Jordan. To start it could even just be a cheap tent like at Loon South Peak. It just is odd now having the biggest lift on the mountain located far away from a lodge.

While Boyne may very well take the "cheap" approach with their capital investments at some of their properties, I get the hunch that they are looking at SR as one of their properties where as long as the Kircher family is running the operation, they're going to spend the $$ to do it the right way.

And as they begin the long process of expanding out past Jordan, my hunch is that how they will develop the general Jordan "base" area will have the Jordan Grand likely not the center of "attention" but incorporated into the big plan of things that it works and is easily accessible, and not just by using ones' own leg power to do so. The Kircher family and Boyne Resorts has certainly shown the industry over many decades that they aren't afraid to think outside the box when they look at capital investments and how they develop their properties, especially the ones where they go all in at

deadheadskier

Staff member
While Boyne may very well take the "cheap" approach with their capital investments at some of their properties, I get the hunch that they are looking at SR as one of their properties where as long as the Kircher family is running the operation, they're going to spend the $$ to do it the right way.

And as they begin the long process of expanding out past Jordan, my hunch is that how they will develop the general Jordan "base" area will have the Jordan Grand likely not the center of "attention" but incorporated into the big plan of things that it works and is easily accessible, and not just by using ones' own leg power to do so. The Kircher family and Boyne Resorts has certainly shown the industry over many decades that they aren't afraid to think outside the box when they look at capital investments and how they develop their properties, especially the ones where they go all in at

That's all fine and good, but I still say the Eastern side of the mountain / South Ridge is the better choice for large scale real estate and commercial development. The Jordan was a bad plan to begin with. Makes no sense throwing good money after bad.

Andrew B.

There has always been talk of relocating the old dbl lift #5 from the base to the hotel.

I wonder with the new J8 and it’s ability to perform in less than optimal conditions make them think that would now just be a redundant lift.

Razor

Way back in the early Otten era, there was a fairly detailed plan for a village at the Jordan Hotel. A poster of it used to be on the wall at the old real estate room at the Summit. Many people purchased quartershare units at the Jordan based on these plans. Some paid well over $40=50,000 for units that later went for under $5,000. Talk about getting screwed. I can't find anything on these old plans. Maybe somebody here can.

2Planker

Think there is a chance they run Jordan late season to start work on Barker? Sort of like they closed Jordan early last season?

Way back in the early Otten era, there was a fairly detailed plan for a village at the Jordan Hotel. A poster of it used to be on the wall at the old real estate room at the Summit. Many people purchased quartershare units at the Jordan based on these plans. Some paid well over $40=50,000 for units that later went for under $5,000. Talk about getting screwed. I can't find anything on these old plans. Maybe somebody here can
I have one of the1994 posters w/ the Jordan Village design.
Les gave it to me after a bad night (for him) playing poker.

Not real accurate as the hotel is at the base, not 300' uphill.
Also has a village w/ "40-50 retail locations".
Can't believe that was 30 years ago...

Any one remember when the Jordan Hotel under construction burned ?
I remember it was a Sat., closing Sirrius at 4:15 and seeing huge smoke billowing from the construction site.

machski

Wasn't there a mention of a Peak Lodge at Jordon? I think some of the sitework was completed this past summer, ie, preparing an area for it? I agree, some sort of day lodge at Jordon will be needed. Looking at tomorrows forecast I may head to Sunday River rather than Killington.
That is in the plans and part of why they laid the new Snowmaking line up Kansas, also I guess will be water feed for the Jordan Peak restaurant. But that is my understanding, restaurant more than a lodge and it will be more intimate in size.

machski

That's all fine and good, but I still say the Eastern side of the mountain / South Ridge is the better choice for large scale real estate and commercial development. The Jordan was a bad plan to begin with. Makes no sense throwing good money after bad.
I get you point but wow, they would have to do some majored reconfiguration of lifts/parking out of South Ridge if they built a village there.

Andrew B.

That is in the plans and part of why they laid the new Snowmaking line up Kansas, also I guess will be water feed for the Jordan Peak restaurant.
Not sure this is possible
The line would have to be charged ($$$) at all times and not really sure what you could do to treat that water at the top to be potable?
I would suspect a well would be needed.

Andrew B.

I get you point but wow, they would have to do some majored reconfiguration of lifts/parking out of South Ridge if they built a village there.
Agreed
also one of the bigger challenges to any developemnt at SR is the HOA there.

kbroderick

Not sure this is possible
The line would have to be charged ($$$) at all times and not really sure what you could do to treat that water at the top to be potable?
I would suspect a well would be needed.
I'd generally expect a well to make more sense, but I could see using the snowmaking line to refill a reservoir and then cleaning and treating the water to make it potable; that would at least avoid needing to keep it charged 24/7.

On the subject of the hotel location, anyone know if the location just (mostly?) within Newry is but design or coincidence? It seems quite close to the line to be the latter, and I wasn't sure what the regulations are for commercial development in unorganized townships (though I'd expect less than in an incorporated town).

deadheadskier

Staff member

As mentioned prior, Stratton style setup with parking garage in the South Ridge parking lot. Add parking with a day lodge at Jordan. Commuters either get there early for Barker or White Cap parking or truck it out to Jordan.

machski

As mentioned prior, Stratton style setup with parking garage in the South Ridge parking lot. Add parking with a day lodge at Jordan. Commuters either get there early for Barker or White Cap parking or truck it out to Jordan.
Maybe, but you have to still have roadway access through that village and up Skiway RD. It could be done but there isn't all that much land to deal with down there, the parking lots are hemmed in on all sides. Perhaps in you bought out the Merrill Brook Owners and used all that as well.

Newpylong

I was told that one of the largest reasons Kansas was regraded was for future vehicle access to a summit lodge not necessarily to bury the water line. The water line was buried because the trail was already ripped up so it made sense.

I'd assume that either a well will be drilled or they will haul up potable water behind a cat like many other places do. It's not feasible to have the lines charged constantly even if refilling storage onsite occasionally. That will be extremely expensive, but I could be wrong.

machski

They have been hitting Top Gun as often as possible this week. Looks like the Cross Course build on RC is finally complete, starts higher up on the old Over Easy from Tightwire intersection and remains completely contained on RC this year (in the past, one turn has come out onto lower Sunday Punch). Shockwave got pushed out by winch cats Monday night, but left un-tilled. Not sure on the plan there, where they will till and open it after the thaw/freeze or if they intend to put more snow on it first. Cascade and Tourist Trp have seen a bunch of resurfacing, while heavily trafficed, both are a bit surprising. As in, IF Barker is getting replaced this summer, I would think a shift in where they operate to closing will be needed. Have not seen any bulk up yet on where I thought this might occur.

bigbob

I was told that one of the largest reasons Kansas was regraded was for future vehicle access to a summit lodge not necessarily to bury the water line. The water line was buried because the trail was already ripped up so it made sense.

I'd assume that either a well will be drilled or they will haul up potable water behind a cat like many other places do. It's not feasible to have the lines charged constantly even if refilling storage onsite occasionally. That will be extremely expensive, but I could be wrong.
I think it would be fairly easy to drag a well drilling rig up there to drill a well. Sewage may be the tough issue, soil is proably pretty thin up there to install a leach field,

Newpylong

I think it would be fairly easy to drag a well drilling rig up there to drill a well. Sewage may be the tough issue, soil is proably pretty thin up there to install a leach field,
Yeah, Killington had to come downhill quite a ways for the new Peak Lodge to find something more suitable for the leach field.