• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River So Far

Jcb890

Today, I talked with the cook up at North Peak Lodge. They will be open April 1, closed April 2, completely, no weekends, nada. At the North Peak Lodge. He was also pretty certain April 15 would do it for South Ridge.(Passholder BBQ).

That's all I got, other than a short day of harder than usual skiing. Got too much to do today....
What do you think will be available on the 16th? Sorry, not too familiar with SR. Much appreciation on all the info and tips!

uphillklimber

Well.... I can't remember all that well, but I do remember last night's dinner! LOL!

Seems to me, the first place to close down is always little whitecap, all the way to the far left of the mountain as you are looking up. And Oz is typically done then as well. Once it starts, it continues. Not so sure of the order after that, maybe Aurora, then Jordan and White Heat. But White heat is a big marketing draw, they try to keep that one open. South Ridge goes sometime as well, along with White Cap (the Tempest lift). They'll announce it sometime soon, I'm sure.

Jcb890

Well.... I can't remember all that well, but I do remember last night's dinner! LOL!

Seems to me, the first place to close down is always little whitecap, all the way to the far left of the mountain as you are looking up. And Oz is typically done then as well. Once it starts, it continues. Not so sure of the order after that, maybe Aurora, then Jordan and White Heat. But White heat is a big marketing draw, they try to keep that one open. South Ridge goes sometime as well, along with White Cap (the Tempest lift). They'll announce it sometime soon, I'm sure.
I'm going to send them another FB Message to ask for details... can't hurt, right?

Jully

Last two are always (at least the last few years) Barker + White Cap (White Heat). I'd bet April 16th has Aurora, White Cap, Barker, Locke (though Locke won't run). Aurora may be closed down for the 16th though.

Jcb890

FB Messenger response:

The only peaks that are closed on the 16th are Aurora and Jordan (Jordan Hotel dining/accommodation still open). All other peaks/lodges should be open!

Nice!
Their FB Messenger responses have been great the last couple of weeks. Kudos to them for that.

Riverveteran

They got a lot of use out of that new deck!

Today, I talked with the cook up at North Peak Lodge. They will be open April 1, closed April 2, completely, no weekends, nada. At the North Peak Lodge. He was also pretty certain April 15 would do it for South Ridge.(Passholder BBQ).

That's all I got, other than a short day of harder than usual skiing. Got too much to do today....

uphillklimber

Yeah, that is quite the expense for that new deck....

Had a great day skiing today, the higher you stayed, the better the snow!

Interesting ride in to the mountain today. I was behind this black VW and the license said MACHSKI. If I wasn't scheduled at Maine adaptive, I'd have followed you in and introduced myself. Hope you had a great day skiing.

uphillklimber

Hawkshot, the biggest thing I like about the River is it is large enough to have a huge variety of terrain, and spreads it all over the place. Groomers, cruisers, bumps, steeps, glades, terrain parks, all natural. Never just one of anything. Plenty of lifts. The downside to having a mountain this spread out, of course, is some of the traversing trails, but if you hang out there long enough, you learn when to shoot it and tuck it.

I'll be there today for the Ski a thon, stationed by the slow sign at the bottom of White Heat for the morning, directing racers. Enjoy the weekend!

machski

So I was up Friday but missed the weekend. Heard they already shut Oz Quad, Quantum Triple and Jordan Double for the year this weekend. From the sounds of it, they could have used all three Saturday. With all the snow and conditions plus the slow rollout of terrain this year, I would have thought they'd have kept those in play this weekend. Guess the late season ops have started to kick in already. I know sister resort Loon is shuttering South Peak midweek starting tomorrow. Poor.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

There today. Crowds weren't bad at all today thankfully, never more than a 5 minute wait at the major lifts that I saw (though I avoided Barker from 10 to 11:30).

Jordan was 3 people to a chair, so something is up with the motor there.

SkiFanE

Fabulous weeekend at the River. 1-2" was nice little frosting Saturday night. So many options, so much open. Bumps are beautiful. Woods are decent but showing their age lol. Those times when bumps aren't coated with crust after inevetiable rain or thaw is rare - so go get it if you can.

Riverveteran

From Sunday River webpage:

Weekend of April 14-15
Skiing on all eight peaks. Last weekend for skiing on Aurora, Oz and Jordan Bowl, and last weekend for the Peak Lodge, Mountain Room, and Foggy Goggle.

Not even close, last several years it has been North Peak East. Aurora/Jordan/Oz have been closed after first weekend in April. Maybe with Easter early we get the 7-8 fully open but no way we will for Passholder BBQ.

2Planker

Yup, 2011 - They sold our friends from NY (8 people) 2 condo's for Sunday thru Thurs, and then had no services to offer after Monday.... They couldn't even complain to anyone. Place was shut up tighter than a drum for Tues- Fri. They ended up day tripping over to Wildcat for 4 days where they skiing was spectacular. Sad, they'll always remember that. Good people, who spend $$$$$ at ski resorts, and will prob never go back to SR

Been at least 5 years since they were open all week for MA Vaca, maybe even longer.

SkiFanE

Been at least 5 years since they were open all week for MA Vaca, maybe even longer.

i think last year of it was right after Boyne bought it. We went once and it's not very busy. And that week can get lots of rain if I remember. My kids are done with skiing by then. There'd be uprising if we dragged them up there for a week - so not ever happening.