• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

witch hobble

From a threecy website:

Tenney Mountain Ski Area Sold
Monday, December 1, 2014, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
[FONT=Georgia, Arial]Nearly four years after being sold at auction to Iroquois Capital Management, LLC, Tenney Mountain ski area has been acquired by Tenney Mountain Development Group, LLC via quitclaim deed. The estimated price was $1.25 million.

Tenney Mountain Development Group, LLC, also known as TMDG, was registered as a New Hampshire company on October 17, 2014. The Windham, New Hampshire company's President is Michael Bouchard, who appears to have been involved in multiple wireless technology businesses.

The troubled ski area last operated during the 2009-10 season, after which it found itself on the auction block. Originally opened in 1960, Tenney struggled through numerous ownership changes and closures. Since its most recent closure, Groton Wind was constructed near the top of the ski area, casting turbine shadows down the quickly overgrowing ski slopes. While some snowmaking equipment has been sold, the chairlifts remain standing.

[/FONT]

VTKilarney

If the purchaser is in the wireless technology business, I am willing to bet that he wants access to the summit and has no intention of running a ski area.

VTKilarney

Quite...

I had heard that the Hornet was being inspected on behalf of a potential buyer a couple weeks ago.
Was it being inspected for potential operation or for sale? Hopefully the former. How much of a market is there for a 6,000 foot double chair, anyway?

Tin

Was it being inspected for potential operation or for sale? Hopefully the former. How much of a market is there for a 6,000 foot double chair, anyway?

That could be the slowest chair in all New England, made the Spear Mountain Triple seem high speed. Just really hope if it is opened for skiing it is not another hermit club type thing. Loved the trees and trails there.

4aprice

Quite...

I had heard that the Hornet was being inspected on behalf of a potential buyer a couple weeks ago.

That would be the best news of all for those of us who would like to see it reopened. I had read that the people who were holding it wanted that but nothing in the item about the sale. Would love to see it become another Ragged (wasn't Ragged at one time on life support?). I would visit with the boy at PSU and the nostalgia buff I am (all the original Ski 93 areas would be open to skiing again).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

VTKilarney

Did Plymouth State students embrace it, or did they go up the road to ski?
I bet there are some condo owners that are really hoping it opens.

DoublePlanker

Plymouth State negotiates a very nice deal with ski area(s) for passes for their students. I think this year is Cannon. I believe its a very good deal. That likely dictates where they ski.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
If the purchaser is in the wireless technology business, I am willing to bet that he wants access to the summit and has no intention of running a ski area.

Plymouth already has pretty good wireless. So the market would be Hebron and Rumney?

Hope that's true. Although, I doubt I'd be headed there to ride that lift unless it was nearly free. Hiking would be almost as quick and certainly better for you. Maybe it would at least get the trails cleared.

SIKSKIER

I doubt very much that one would buy a whole ski area just to put a cell tower on it.I would think you could lease a parcel next to the wind turbines.That area already has good coverage anyway.

thetrailboss

Staff member

+ 1. When I drove by on 93 in October I was stunned as to the wind turbines on the top. RIP. It is too bad because it has a good sized town and some potential, but the last few years had bad management and little money.

skiMEbike

That could be the slowest chair in all New England,

You never had the privilege of riding the West Mountain chair at Sugarloaf....I think it's the longest fixed double chair in the East (or possibly the country??) It's over 24 minute ride, and it doesn't even get you to the top of the mountain !!

thetrailboss

Staff member
You never had the privilege of riding the West Mountain chair at Sugarloaf....I think it's the longest fixed double chair in the East (or possibly the country??) It's over 24 minute ride, and it doesn't even get you to the top of the mountain !!

24 minute ride?! WTF?!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Did Plymouth State students embrace it, or did they go up the road to ski?
I bet there are some condo owners that are really hoping it opens.
One of the guys I work with used to get a $1 pass there when attending PSU. That was back in 2005.

skiMEbike

24 minute ride?! WTF?!

It's true, and that's without the lift stopping...Garmin stats to prove it!!

Aside from the condo owners...that chair is only good if you are looking to boot up in the car, want a nice short walk to the lift, and want to get away from the masses. The other benefit is: it makes for a nice long chair ride "to ready yourself" for skiing :wink: