• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 9 Best Mountains for Spring Skiing

Brad J

Both Telluride and Jackson Hole close way to early to be considered, Killington ,Sugarloaf and Wildcat make up the New England spring go to places.

abc

Agreed, but this list is definitely on top of the list of 'bad lists'. It's like they picked names out of a hat.
Wouldn't be too surprised that's actually a list of the biggest advertisement spending on Man's Journal!

They could have save the trouble of coming up with any supposedly reason, they should simply put the dollar amount next to each resort!

lerops

I'm pretty much an easterner and in 2014, the only serious players in the eastern spring skiing game are Killington, Wildcat and Sugarloaf; but the truth is, the only true success at it is Killington (pre-Powdr and restarting with Mike Solimano). The reason is simple: The best spring skiing days can't be planned - and Killington is the only one of these three areas that has significant access to the day-tripper market: 1.5 hours to greater Albany; 2.5 hours to greater Boston; and about 2 hours to Springfield/Hartford.

Hmm, that made me think. How do you identify good spring skiing days?

catsup948

Jay Peak needs to be included in this or at least New England. They stay open until mid May. Plus Jay Peak and Sugarloaf will have more open longer than anyone else in New England.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fbrissette

Jay Peak needs to be included in this or at least New England. They stay open until mid May. Plus Jay Peak and Sugarloaf will have more open longer than anyone else in New England.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Good point. I'd rather have 10-15 trails open till mid-late April than one single run till mid-late May. It's fun to do a few runs in May but at some point it it's time to put the skis away and get the bikes out.

4aprice

Hmm, that made me think. How do you identify good spring skiing days?

I agree with him. You need to just go. Conditions can change from run to run. Short of an all day moderate/downpour rain I'm out there. Good spring skiing is soft snow, bumps and tree's (if in play) and warmer temps. (oh yeah SUN too)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiNEwhere

Mammoth has some pretty great spring skiing. I was skiing there in June in 05 or 06 and they were still like 60-70% open

BenedictGomez

Good point. I'd rather have 10-15 trails open till mid-late April than one single run till mid-late May. It's fun to do a few runs in May but at some point it it's time to put the skis away and get the bikes out.

Yeah, I take no interest in the "we're the last to close" because you blew the Empire State Building depth onto a trail. To me, the ski season ends when the woods close and the bumps are gone.

4aprice

Yeah, I take no interest in the "we're the last to close" because you blew the Empire State Building depth onto a trail. To me, the ski season ends when the woods close and the bumps are gone.

Killington last year skied the peak at least into the 3rd weekend in April. I went once after (Cinco de mayo) with Superstar and IIRC Sky Lark open as well. It was t2b bumps, heavy (temps U 60's). Got 5 runs in and was wiped out.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Killington last year skied the peak at least into the 3rd weekend in April. I went once after (Cinco de mayo) with Superstar and IIRC Sky Lark open as well. It was t2b bumps, heavy (temps U 60's). Got 5 runs in and was wiped out.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
My last day there was May 12 with magnificent bumps on Superstar. I quit around 1PM because the light had become too flat to see the bumps.