• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Balsams Wilderness 03-21-08 12" powder day

loafer89

Area skied: The Balsams Wilderness, New Hampshire

Date skied: March 21st, 2008 from 10:45am - 3:45pm

Surface conditions: Powder, windblown, variable

Weather: snowshowers all day, 9F base and 3F summit, 20-30mph winds

We woke up today to no new snow at all from last nights storm and winds here in Rumford Center where not very high but a quick call to Saddleback revealed a closed mountain with the same at Sugarloaf. Sunday River was not sure about lift operation so we called The Balsams and they confirmed the chair running and 8-12" of new snow overnight.

We made the drive up from Rumford Center in a bit over an hour and arrived to a light snow falling and a brutally cold 9F with fairly high west winds. We booted up and paid $31 for an adult lift ticket and $23 for my son which is a good deal for 1,000' of vertical and 15 trails.

Snow conditions ranged from deep powder on the lower 3/4 of the mountain to wind blown exposed ice and frozen granular for the first 200' of vertical down a majority of the trails, due to the high winds at the summit blowing the new snow right into the woods.

The trail of the day was Notch which is about 20' wide and had stashes of powder on the edges and in the woods and was a nice refugee from the cold high winds. We did this twice and had fun each time.

Notch:

Notch.jpg

We skied down Androscoggin which had some deep untouched powder halfway down the trail:

Androscoggin.jpg

Overall we had a fun day but this is the coldest Spring day that I have ever skied in 25 years of skiing, truly frosbite weather and we took pictures very sparingly as it hurt to have exposed skin out for more than a few seconds at a time. Warren was a real trooper skiing in such high winds and cold weather.

The Balsams Wilderness:

BalsamsWilderness.jpg

Last edited:

Skier75

Sounds like it was quite a challenging day for the weather. The Balsams is a great small mountain, too bad the weather wasn't so good that you could really enjoy it. Maybe another time.

I was wondering today what would be on wind hold. I have a co-worker that went to Pat's Peak in Henniker with his son. This was his last day for his kid's school ski program. I figured that Pat's wouldn't have been too much of a problem being that it also is not a very big mountain. I hope Cannon will be alright tomorrow, as that's where we're going.

snoseek

Nice report, nice little mountain. I did my internship up there and lived right there at the hotel for six months. That area is really special to me. Go back in the summer as there is so much to do, camping, biking, hiking, fishing are all real nice. One of the few areas of N.H. left not overrun with vacationers.

loafer89

It's a nice place and very isolated from the rest of New England. I find it funny that the ski area is closing down for the season next weekend and they are going to start digging out the golf course with a snowcat:-o