• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Future of Telemark is now

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews64.html

The New Telemark Norm (NTN) binding system is finally for real. This will have a huge impact on the marketplace. Since I've been planning for a new pair of skis next year, and have been looking to replace my aging Veloces, it looks like it's going to be an expensive new year.

But the advantages of the new gear (assuming it lives up to the hype) sounds worth it.

-dave-

JimG.

Staff member
A tele binding with a genuine release mechanism.

I'm out of excuses to get myself on tele equipment...the lack of a release mechanism gave my surgically repaired legs the willys.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
JimG. said:
the lack of a release mechanism gave my surgically repaired legs the willys.
I read an article on how they think its the boots and how a person stands in them that are causing all the knee problems...Mostly ACL. Recovering from a fall is one of the most common ways to blow and ACL out. They said it is just better to go down.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Well, I jumped the gun a bit, this won't be released in the US until 2007/2008, so hold back a bit.

No release mechanism in this binding, yet. It will come, but it's not there in the first model, so that shouldn't push you to get this yet. There are several models of 75mm bindings that release, so that should be stopping you now.

One very nice feature is that these boots will fit NTN and AT bindings. For the boot makers, that means they can use the same molds in the manufacturing process.

So, we're not out of the woods yet.

-dave-

JimG.

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
Recovering from a fall is one of the most common ways to blow and ACL out. They said it is just better to go down.

I wish my only issue was a repaired ACL, one of which I do have. In many ways, my right knee is better now than before I blew it out.

As for the ACL move, you are correct that fighting a fall, especially one where you are in the backseat, is a surefire way to tear an ACL.

Fortunately, my wipeouts are usually pretty explosive and I don't have the time to try to fight them. I've learned to just go with the fall. I'd rather hike back uphill to get my equipment than take a sled ride down.

JimG.

Staff member
David Metsky said:
No release mechanism in this binding, yet. It will come, but it's not there in the first model, so that shouldn't push you to get this yet. There are several models of 75mm bindings that release, so that should be stopping you now.
-dave-

I misread...it says they are designed to accomodate a release mechanism. I'll say this, as opposed to most tele bindings that look pretty flimsy, these look like they're built like tanks.

Not having the duckbill on the boots is a real bonus...many of my tele buddies cringe when they have to try to fit crampons over that bill.

Do you have any more info on currently available tele bindings that release?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The NTN boot will fit into traditional Alpine Touring bindings.
:eek:

wow, a one boot solution for folks who tele an AT, nice one. looks great but i was expecting a releasable binding when i clicked the link. good to see it is in the works, i think that is going to be the homerun in the tele world.

JimG.

Staff member
David Metsky said:
The Voile Hardwires release, and there's one other that does but its name escapes me now.

-dave-

Thanks Dave...time to do a little online research.

NYDrew

Jim, what size boot you wear? Next time we meet up, my Tele Skiis have the 7TM releasable binding (the mysterious other binding)

Now you know your going to get stuck trying it. Its not that hard man, if you get tripped up, you just revert back to Alpine skiing (of course in the back seat just a little) and you can negotiate just about anything thats not K-27. Probably could have even gotten down 44 if it was your first time one tele.

JimG.

Staff member
NYDrew said:
Jim, what size boot you wear? Next time we meet up, my Tele Skiis have the 7TM releasable binding (the mysterious other binding)

9 1/2 shell size for ski boots, 10 1/2 for street shoes.

NYDrew

JimG. said:
9 1/2 shell size for ski boots, 10 1/2 for street shoes.

oh Jim, you just ran out of excuses to have never telemarked. Next time I meet you at hunter, remind me to bring my tele gear. :D