• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

Warp Daddy

Hybrids are nice !!
I 'm loving my 1, 3 and 5 hybrids , the 1 and 3 are new this season . I always hit my irons fine but these puppies are VERY easy to hit and land softly so now i'm good from 100-210 yds with one these clubs as my second shot depending on the hole ,

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Well, rain may keep me indoors, but I can still be practicing :)

Did some "slow motion" step-by-step swings with my six iron and really noticed a few big things with my swing. The first is something I already noticed, I start the back and down swing with my arms instead of my hits. Slowing things down step by step really showed me how bad this issue was and I feel like I was able to make a few corrections.

Then I noticed the over the top motion was being created because I was standing up instead of retaining my posture at the top of the back swing. This was putting my weight in the wrong place and forcing my arms out and over on the down swing. By combing a one piece take away at the hips and retaining my upper body lean forward, the hips seemed to take care of themselves on the downswing and my club head lined up much better than before. Sweet!

Now, we'll see how these things I picked up on play out on the range. :roll: For some reason, I always seem to go backward one step immediately after I feel I have gone forward two...

drjeff

Where ya gonna be playing? The weather is finally getting cooler high 80's, u should have some nice weather.

My parents live in as my father calls it a "gated gold ghetto" in Port Charlotte, called Riverwood. I'm atleast playing a few rounds there and then maybe my Dad and I will go tour a few of the other "golf ghettos" in the area too ;)

Warp Daddy

just finished my last round before our NY trip.

Shot a respectable for me + 15 and sunk my putt on the 18th - a 30 footer for the par . Had some really nice 205 -210 yd straight shots with the new #1 Hybrid

Doc jeff -- how ya doing down there -- hopefully no Gator balls :D

Trekchick

worthless.gif

drjeff

just finished my last round before our NY trip.

Shot a respectable for me + 15 and sunk my putt on the 18th - a 30 footer for the par . Had some really nice 205 -210 yd straight shots with the new #1 Hybrid

Only 1 gator ball today :( Although I didn't see a gator in THAT pond :eek: ;) Salvaged a 78 today :) I was 6 over after 6 holes :( and then got it together and played the last 12 in even par :) Could have been a better round as I was -3 on my back nine with 3 holes to go and then went bogey, bogey, bogey courtesy of some plain old bad luck with some of the lies I drew on those holes.

I'll tee it up again tommorrow AM and be ready to do battle with another 7,000+ yards of really lush grass! (and hopefully NOT any gators!)

drjeff

Days like today are sometimes make we wonder about this game. I hit the ball WAYYY better today than yesterday, but unlike yesterday where I had a few good bounces and breaks on the greens, well today I had 0, nil, nada, nyet, none of those things at all :mad: On the greens I had so many burned lips that I should go by a case of chapstick!(the big 0 for 8 on birdie putts inside of 10 feet :( ) Off the tee, I hit 8 of 14 fairways, with the 6 that I missed occurring by a combined maybe 10 yards, and each and everytime that I found the rough, the really luch Bermuda grass down here just swallowed the ball to the point where atmost I could maybe gouge a pitching wedge out of the rough for maybe 75 yards :mad:

Oh well, 82 still isn't 1/2 bad. I guess that I'll have to go and play again tommorrow, although I just need to figure out how to get off to a better start as each of the last 2 days I've started off with a double bogey :mad:

FRITOLAYGUY

Days like today are sometimes make we wonder about this game. I hit the ball WAYYY better today than yesterday, but unlike yesterday where I had a few good bounces and breaks on the greens, well today I had 0, nil, nada, nyet, none of those things at all :mad: On the greens I had so many burned lips that I should go by a case of chapstick!(the big 0 for 8 on birdie putts inside of 10 feet :( ) Off the tee, I hit 8 of 14 fairways, with the 6 that I missed occurring by a combined maybe 10 yards, and each and everytime that I found the rough, the really luch Bermuda grass down here just swallowed the ball to the point where atmost I could maybe gouge a pitching wedge out of the rough for maybe 75 yards :mad:

Oh well, 82 still isn't 1/2 bad. I guess that I'll have to go and play again tommorrow, although I just need to figure out how to get off to a better start as each of the last 2 days I've started off with a double bogey :mad:

Ya that bermuda is tough, theres not many uneven lies here as up north but missing the fairway makes up for it

campgottagopee

Well, rain may keep me indoors, but I can still be practicing :)

Did some "slow motion" step-by-step swings with my six iron and really noticed a few big things with my swing. The first is something I already noticed, I start the back and down swing with my arms instead of my hits. Slowing things down step by step really showed me how bad this issue was and I feel like I was able to make a few corrections.

Then I noticed the over the top motion was being created because I was standing up instead of retaining my posture at the top of the back swing. This was putting my weight in the wrong place and forcing my arms out and over on the down swing. By combing a one piece take away at the hips and retaining my upper body lean forward, the hips seemed to take care of themselves on the downswing and my club head lined up much better than before. Sweet!

Now, we'll see how these things I picked up on play out on the range. :roll: For some reason, I always seem to go backward one step immediately after I feel I have gone forward two...

One little tip to help with the "over the top"---concentrate on pulling down with your left hand---no way possible to go over the top with that move---good luck

drjeff

Today's round was an all or none 82. [size=+4]5[/size] Double Bogeys :mad: and [size=+4]9[/size] penalty strokes. But when I wasn't loosing a ball and making a double, the other 13 I played in even par (2 birdies, 2 bogey's and 9 pars). I had to deal with a distinct change in the ball flight off my drive during the round where it started off with my standard power fade, then mid round went to a stright ball flight and finished up with a slight draw. This was the main reason for many of my doubles/penalty strokes :mad:

Oh well, the clubs are packed in the travel bag and ready for a plane ride tommorrow. Good thing, since the Bermuda rough has definately left my wrist/forearm a bit sore from having to gouge a few out.

FRITOLAYGUY

Today's round was an all or none 82. [size=+4]5[/size] Double Bogeys :mad: and [size=+4]9[/size] penalty strokes. But when I wasn't loosing a ball and making a double, the other 13 I played in even par (2 birdies, 2 bogey's and 9 pars). I had to deal with a distinct change in the ball flight off my drive during the round where it started off with my standard power fade, then mid round went to a stright ball flight and finished up with a slight draw. This was the main reason for many of my doubles/penalty strokes :mad:

Oh well, the clubs are packed in the travel bag and ready for a plane ride tommorrow. Good thing, since the Bermuda rough has definately left my wrist/forearm a bit sore from having to gouge a few out.

Where your penalty strokes water or out of bounds in someones yard like all of mine usually are?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just got my new 3W and 3H today. The 3W felt really good until I started swinging (badly). The Face isn't as big as my broken 3W so that is going to take a lot of practice to get used to. I kept topping the ball in what used to be the center of the club. After the range work, I played the local par 3 and had two really bad first holes. Decided not to keep score it was so bad. We are talking getting close to double digits hacking straight down the fairway. Sure enough, once I ditched the score card, started playing solid boogie golf with a few double thrown in for good measure. My iron play was on fire today with very few miss hits though I haven't practiced pitching lately and it showed. Need to get it close enough to chip because I have gotten really good at getting it up and down with edge of the green chips. Those are the best. Finally managed to whack my new 3H for about 190 yards but managed to push it onto the previous hole's tee box :(

Looking forward to the scramble on Sunday! Hope I can get my 3W going when the driving range is open before the game.

One thing is for sure..the ball doesn't travel as far in cooler weather..When it's hot I take a club less on my approach shots..I'd like to play this weekend..before all the greens start being covered with leaves

FRITOLAYGUY

Just got my new 3W and 3H today. The 3W felt really good until I started swinging (badly). The Face isn't as big as my broken 3W so that is going to take a lot of practice to get used to. I kept topping the ball in what used to be the center of the club. After the range work, I played the local par 3 and had two really bad first holes. Decided not to keep score it was so bad. We are talking getting close to double digits hacking straight down the fairway. Sure enough, once I ditched the score card, started playing solid boogie golf with a few double thrown in for good measure. My iron play was on fire today with very few miss hits though I haven't practiced pitching lately and it showed. Need to get it close enough to chip because I have gotten really good at getting it up and down with edge of the green chips. Those are the best. Finally managed to whack my new 3H for about 190 yards but managed to push it onto the previous hole's tee box :(

Looking forward to the scramble on Sunday! Hope I can get my 3W going when the driving range is open before the game.

Riv i know it seems its harder to hit the ball with the smaller head but in time this will only improve your concentration and force you to have to hit it on the sweet spot with the smaller room for error on the head.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Riv i know it seems its harder to hit the ball with the smaller head but in time this will only improve your concentration and force you to have to hit it on the sweet spot with the smaller room for error on the head.
Yup. Well aware of this and actually wanted a slightly smaller head for this particular club. I am of the impression that wood sizes seem too big on average. When I had a really good hit today (even if it did slice), I was hitting my new smaller head 3W further than my old one. I gotta imagine concentrating more mass in a narrower swath would produce more power at impact. Am I off on that one?

drjeff

Where your penalty strokes water or out of bounds in someones yard like all of mine usually are?

Mainly water balls today. Although it seemed like everytime after one splashed down, either the next shot from the drop I took, or the one after that would end up in a location that required me to take an unplayable lie and a second penalty stroke on the same hole :mad:

Gotta love wet 7,006 yard courses with a rating of 74.8 and a slope of 144 and how quickly they can cause big numbers if the ball striking is off just a little :rolleyes:

On the flipside, I know from many years past experience, the next round I play at my home course in CT and it's 6,550 yards of glory will seem like a pitch and putt :)

drjeff

Yup. Well aware of this and actually wanted a slightly smaller head for this particular club. I am of the impression that wood sizes seem too big on average. When I had a really good hit today (even if it did slice), I was hitting my new smaller head 3W further than my old one. I gotta imagine concentrating more mass in a narrower swath would produce more power at impact. Am I off on that one?

Generally speaking what works for most folks and club size is the only "big" clubs in the bag should be the driver, and if it looks OK to you, the putter. Other than that standard size works well.

FRITOLAYGUY

No your not off golf is just weird, you can swing as hard as possible with a huge driver and maybe only hit it 240yards, where as if u used 70percent of your total power and made perfect contact in the sweetspot that baby would go 270, the key to golf i still cant master, tempo, and slow