• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hey Man! Things have been great. Just gearing up for the summer. Had a great air show last Sunday over my house. The Blue Angels almost shattered my windows on a fly by.

On topic: What’s on the docket for this summer boys? I definitely have a few shows but am waiting for summer work schedule before I commit to more than Phish at Jones Beach.

Went to Boston Calling Sunday for Goose and Metallica

Upcoming:

6/4 - Marble Eyes
6/10-6/11 - Stone Dead
7/1 - Dark Star Orchestra
7/3 - Nathaniel Raitliff
7/15 - Phish
9/10 - Red Hot Chili Peppers
10/17 - Iron Maiden
10/23 - Neighbor

If you haven't seen Marble Eyes, Goose or Neighbor, definitely do so when they swing by you. All are fantastic live.

That's it for now.

Vortex

Beano, Thanks for making the effort Great to say hi. Two great shows.

I caught six total. I would go Boulder Friday, first best , Boulder 2nd night 2nd,
3, Sat Citi Field 3, Foxborough 4,, Hartford 5 and Friday Citi field six. All quality shows. Two Boulder and Sat Citi Field were on different level.

WWF-VT

Who's in for the final Dead and Company tour?

I'm going to Saturday night at SPAC and both nights at Fenway

Last edited:

crank

Going to Phil & Friends next Friday. Marcus King and Duane Betts should put a little southern rock flair into the mix.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wish we were still doing the AZ Summit. This would be the year to do it again (for me). The first weekend in February this year is Fire on the Mountain. That's the weekend we held the event the last few years of it's existence.

A great Jerry tribute from Portland called Rose Alley is playing. I have seen them many times, including their first show ever. The Stone Church had a cancellation and a long time friend and keyboardist Kevin Roper put a band together of Portland musicians last minute. They were great and decided to make it a regular thing for the past couple of years until Aaron (Jerry) moved to Nashville.

For Fire on the Mountain they are reforming with John Kadlicek filling in. John K with Furthur was my favorite post Jerry project. Would be really cool to see him play with Portland musicians I know.

Nick if you're reading this......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump.

Folks here will be interested to see that 686 has done a nice collaboration with Grateful Dead for ski and boarding gear. This is the second year. The bad news is a lot of it has sold out.

https://eu.686.com/collections/grat...l=9029755&g_adgroupid=&g_productid=&g_source={sourceid}&g_merchantid=&g_placement=&g_partition=&g_campaignid=15575227819&g_ifproduct=&gclid=CjwKCAiA5Y6eBhAbEiwA_2ZWISB8KF2GwRxL3fE9rdn2FYRjCZAU0ikTFYKTwcDKrXOCQvQfyQT4tRoCXYUQAvD_BwE

Some of my favorites that I have been able to get my hands on:

686-bonded-fleece-hoodie-grateful-dead-black.webp

686-tioga-fleece-crew-sweatshirt-grateful-dead-sherpa.webp

686-tioga-fleece-crew-sweatshirt-grateful-dead-sherpa-reverse-detail.webp

686_primer_glove__ski_pro_987230662_941x1200.jpg

325718-800-auto

686_x_grateful_dead_steelie_beanie_2022-2023_ski_pro_37273763_1069x1200.jpg

4__07660.1666626058.jpg

TyWebb

Who's in for the final Dead and Company tour?

I'm going to Saturday night at SPAC and both nights at Fenway
Dead and Co gets a lot of negative shit and I get it. I've been seeing them since fall '15 and still have fun with friends with low expectations. Had to cancel my Spac hotel as I have to travel but hitting Bristol, Philly and possibly Citi or Fenway depending on what city the girlfriend wants to see

Last edited:

TyWebb

John K with Furthur was my favorite post Jerry project. Would be really cool to see him play with Portland musicians I know.

Further was great and lots of fun but for me Phil and the Q were my favorite. I really thought the Fare thee Well band had the most potential tho that could;dve been just the great vibes I got from being in Chicago for that weekend but outside of Trey locking himself in his apartment and Jerry training - band didn't rehearse and could've been much better. Still the best 5 day boys away weekend in my past 25+ years. '98 Other Ones also had a lot of potential but died off after a few years

TyWebb

Thoughts on Phish summer tour?

Going to really miss AC (been a great 2 weekends in '21 and '22) - MSG is overplayed and summer should be outdoor shows IMO but all that said -

Doing the Mann both nights (in my backyard) and a weekend in NYC for MSG

Scottyskis2

Good Fridayy too everyone
I learned my new lesson few minutes ago.
""
“‘Dark Star’ was the first song I wrote with the Grateful Dead," noted Hunter. "We were down in Rio Nido over the Labor Day weekend in 1967, and I heard them playing it in the Dance Hall where they were going to play. I just started scratching paper and got the ‘Dark star crashes / Pouring its light into ashes’ part, and I said, ‘Why don’t you try this with it ?’ It worked well and they wanted more.

"I finished the second set of verses back in San Francisco. I was staying at 710 Ashbury and got up one morning fairly early and stumbled over to the Panhandle. I was sitting there, stuck in a verse, when along came a hippie who handed me a joint. He asked me what I was doing, and I said I was writing a song called ‘Dark Star.’ That started it, and I finished it from there.”

Before writing lyrics for the Grateful Dead, Hunter lived in Santa Fe, NM, where he moved in February 1966 to work as a portrait artist.

“I went out there with some friends and was a Canyon Road artist,” he recalled. “I had drawings in all the galleries. I even had some on exhibit at the Bank of America in Albuquerque, but I never sold one. I just couldn’t make any money at it.”

Toward the end of his stay in Santa Fe, Hunter turned his attention to writing song lyrics and mailed Garcia three early efforts: “Alligator,” “China Cat Sunflower” and “St. Stephen.”

Not a bad start.

When he returned to San Francisco, he found the Dead performing lengthy versions of “Alligator” and ready to have him on as their lyricist.

“I had been working on ‘St. Stephen’ for a long time before I gave it to the Grateful Dead,” said Hunter. “I felt the radiance happening, an intense light feeling. I was on to something, those times when the light seems to be in your hands. You follow it along, and some beautiful things just come to you. It’s still one of my favorite songs."

Although Jerry was not a lyricist, there are at least three or four songs in the Grateful Dead catalog that bear his lyrics.

With a laugh, Hunter stated, "Garcia added one line to ‘Touch of Grey’ and he was almost apologetic about it.”

Which lyric did Jerry contribute to the Dead's only Top Ten single ?

“Light a candle, curse the glare.”

What are the other Grateful Dead tunes Jerry penned lyrics for ?

"Cream Puff War" is the guitarist's most notable contribution, a cynical, bitter take on war in which he got off these fantastic lines:

Your constant battles are getting to be a bore
So, go somewhere else and continue your cream puff war

Another example of Garcia's lyrical prowess is "Cryptical Envelopment":

And when the day had ended
With rainbow colors blended
His mind remained unbended

He had to die, you know he had to die
You know he had to die

"Cream Puff War" and "Cryptical Envelopment" are the two songs we know for certain feature lyrics from Garcia. It's very likely he also contributed or even wrote the lyrics for "The Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)," but the credited songwriters on the Dead's debut LP are McGannihan Skjelltyfetti (or, the Grateful Dead).

Could Jerry have written lyrics for the Warlocks songs recorded in 1965 and 1966 such as “Mindbender (Confusion’s Prince),” “The Only Time Is Now” and “Can’t Come Down” ?

Absolutely, even likely.

But at the end of the day, according to Jerry, “Hunter writes songs for me that say what I would have said if I had any kind of agility with language, which I unfortunately don’t.”

"Jerry is a creator, and he wants to create his own song around this ‘persona.’ I write to fit his persona," Hunter revealed. "I’ve gotten a bit of a suss of what he feels he can speak comfortably. You have to know the cat to some degree to feel what he would express.

"There’s a range of emotions he doesn’t like to sing about, and certain ways of relating that aren’t his ways. He prefers to be given the lyrics and then what he doesn’t like in the lyrics, I’ll rewrite to his specifications."

— Scott
March 17, 2023

Happy St. Patrick's Day ! Happy Friday and weekend ! Yippee ! We're here ! Tickets are available for Phil's shows tonight, Saturday and Sunday at the playland known as the Cap at non-Ticketmaster-jacked-up prices: $99 and $139. Phil was red hot on his birthday and won't be letting up these next three nights. If you're in the Port Chester / Tri-State area, you owe it to yourself to see Phil. As the Beatles would say, Don't let me down. Roughly half of Dead & Company's summer tour is sold out, which is a polite way of saying that tickets are available to those "sold-out" shows via Ticketmaster's "dynamic ticket pricing" or legalized scalping option. It's an increasingly ugly, mean-spirited world out there. Protect yourself and your loved ones.

Thank you a billion times for your love and support ! It's difficult to use words to express the gratitude and respect I have for you. You validate me as a writer and are helping me to write the most accurate and correct history of the Grateful Dead. You are an intelligent, informed, fun and curious group of friends.

Right on.

Please continue to pray for Joe. He is bed-ridden, but his grandchildren still visit.

I appreciate you.

💕

If you are over the 45-50 age range, please allow your doctors to give you the knock-out gas and insert the polyp-seeking nozzle into your a-noose. Joking aside, please get a colonoscopy.

🤚

May God bless, protect, guide and provide for every Deadhead.

🤟

My series of Grateful Dead biographies are the most accurate, comprehensive, honest and up-to-date histories of the Dead ever written.

📚

All of my books are written by a Deadhead for Deadheads !

And all of my books are $2.99 in the Kindle edition and always will be so they're accessible to everyone.

No fkng around here.

Please "Like" my AB2B page !

🅰🅱2️⃣🅱 ‼

Thank you.

🎶

No, no ! She can't take your mind and leave
I know it's just another trick she's got up her sleeve

I can't believe that she really wants you to die
After all it's more than enough to pay for your lie

Wait a minute, watch what you're doing with your time
All the endless ruins of the past must stay behind, yeah

Well, can't you see that you're killing each others soul
Well, you're both out in the streets and you got no place to go

Your constant battles are getting to be a bore
So, go somewhere else and continue your cream puff war

— "Cream Puff War,"
Grateful Dead
live 1967

⚡ .. 🎲 .. ⚡ .. 🎼 .. ⚡ .. 🎸 .. ⚡

🖖

🧿

💞

💯

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just purchased tickets to this.

Recreating Watkins Glen 73

With a twist. Adding Little Feat to The Band, Allman's and Dead

I've seen all four bands individually and they're all the real deal. Total pris

Going to be fantastic.

crank

Looks like fun. We are going to be nearby but a few weeks earlier we have a cottage rented on Seneca Lake end of July. May hit Grass Roots beforehand.

Seeing a set of Dead and CO at Jazz FEst in New Orleans early May and seriously thinking about attending Roots Rock Revival in the Cats right after our lake cottage week.

Scottyskis2

"
In February of 1985, Campbell attended a Grateful Dead concert and below are his comments from that experience:

"The Deadheads are doing the dance of life and this I would say, is the answer to the atom bomb...I had a marvelous experience two nights ago. I was invited to a rock concert. I'd never seen one. This was a big hall in Berkeley and the rock group were the Grateful Dead, whose name, by the way, is from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Rock Music has never seemed that interesting to me. It's very simple and the beat is the same old thing. But when you see a room with eight thousand young people for five hours going through it to the beat of these boys ... The genius of these musicians- these three guitars and two wild drummers in the back... The central guitar, Bob Weir, just controls this crowd and when you see eight thousand kids all going up in the air together... Listen, this is powerful stuff! And what is it? The first thing I thought of was the Dionysian festivals, of course. This energy and these terrific instruments with electric things that zoom in... This is more than music. It turns something on in here (the heart). And what it turns on is life energy. This is Dionysus talking through these kids. Now I've seen similar manifestations, but nothing as innocent as what I saw with this bunch. This was sheer innocence...This is a wonderful fervent loss of self in the larger self of a homogeneous community. This is what it is all about!

It reminded me of Russian Easter. Down in New York we have a big Russian Cathedral. You go there on Russian Easter at midnight and you hear Kristos Anesti! Christ is Risen! It's almost as good as a rock concert. It has the same kind of life feel. When I was in Mexico City at the Cathedral of the Virgin of Guadeloupe, there it was again. In India, in Puri, at the temple of the Jagannath...the same damn thing again. It doesn't matter what the name of the God is, or whether it’s a rock group or a clergy. It's somehow hitting that chord of realization of the unity of God in you all, that's a terrific thing and it just blows the rest away."
-Joseph Campbell
Photo: @jayblakesberg"