• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The kind of crowd you attract

Trekchick

I was going to make this simple, but that would be no fun, eh?

What kind of crowd do you attract when you ski?
Address this question by these break downs
When you go to your hill on a daily basis
When you post a GTG on the forum(s)
When you go on vacation

Sub break downs:
Size of crowd
Type of people, ability and character
For GSS, - Gender?

How many of these people are from your internet connections and how many are from your home turf?

Paul

patrol.jpg

This one.

Geoff

They usually scatter below me. ;)

At Killington, there's a blur between home turf people and internet people since I've skied with a number of people who are on KillingtonZone since long before there was a KillingtonZone.

The people I tend to ski with have mostly been on the mountain for years. None of them are bad skiers but everybody has their own preferences for terrain and speed. Some are tree dogs, some are crack 'o noon cruisers, ...or anything in-between. Very few of them miss happy hour very often and some of them know there's an open bar stool and a bartender to be found at 11:00.

Last edited:

2knees

i dont attract anyone. I very well may repel some people though.

i ski primarily with some combination of a group that includes such rejects as Greg, Bvibert, Grassi, the evils, Powhunter, JohnnyP, JimG, and Madskier.

And i've been lucky enough to ski with a number of other AZ'ers a time or two. but I'm usually skiing with at least one from the above group.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Bird's eye view:

normal_P3190022.JPG

Well, at least you had your wits about you enough to capture the moment. :lol:

Geez, Trekchick, that's a LONG list of questions! :eek: The only people I attract while skiing are those who ask, "Are you alright?" :oops:

I have never posted a GTG. On the hill, I just ski with whomever I know. If they want to do harder stuff, I go do what interests me and join them at the bottom for the lift ride up (or wherever else is predetermined). I'm happy skiing alone, too, though. (Although I take bigger risks skiing in a group...self-imposed peer pressure to be as good as everyone else, even though everyone I ski with has been at it much longer than I have...)

Greg

Staff member
i ski primarily with some combination of a group that includes such rejects as Greg, Bvibert, Grassi, the evils, Powhunter, JohnnyP, JimG, and Madskier.

All posers.

Moe Ghoul

So far, pretty sparce. After renting a house in the Pokes for 8 seasons up until last season, I skied with about 15-20 various folks at Camelback including locals, my roomates, patroller/rangers and people/groups that we met over the years and ended up hanging apres ski with, eventually getting together offseason as well. I didn't start postwhoring on Ski MB's until the first time last year on PASR and managed to hook up on 2-3 occasions with a few posters there. Not having a skihouse and joining the ski club last year has started a new chapter in my ski experience, which is cool, too. Hopefully, I'll meet a few AZers this season. My guess it will be at Whiteface, since we hit that consistently year after year.

I was going to make this simple, but that would be no fun, eh?

What kind of crowd do you attract when you ski?
Address this question by these break downs
When you go to your hill on a daily basis
When you post a GTG on the forum(s)
When you go on vacation

Sub break downs:
Size of crowd
Type of people, ability and character
For GSS, - Gender?

How many of these people are from your internet connections and how many are from your home turf?

Wow so many questions..At the local hill the people that I ski with range in age from teenagers to one guy in his late 60s..the people I ski with are generally fast skiers but some only ski at a moderate pace so I'll usually let them get a head start and then pass them halfway down the trail and wait at the lift for them. Whether at my home mountain or on a ski trip..I always meet impromptu ski partners on the lift because I am talkative and knowledgeable. I usually ski with men..the only ladies that I skied with this last season are Barb and Melissa from www.paskiandride.com Melissas friend Sarah..AZs sexkitten..and Kingslugs wife.

I'd say 70% of the people I ski with at my home mountain..Blue mountain the true mountain are people I met online and 30% are people who are regulars who are out there several days a week. As for the size of the group..on weeknights after work..it's generally me, Atomic Jeff and a few others..On Saturday mornings the crew is much larger..me, Atomic Jeff, Toast, sometimes Noxidee, Phillycore, Gorgonzola, Nastar Glenn, and some of the jibhonks..Nothing steezier than rolling two 6-packs deep and hauling ass down the trail in a big pack..especially since most of us are on twin-tips so we spray everybody we pass.

Trekchick

At my local hill, I tend to ski with family and friends, usually a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 15. Most of those in our group are similar to my ability or better, with the exception of a few family members who ski only occasionally for a family day out.

When I post a GTG, the smallest group I've attracted is 12 at the Bear Gathering at Boyne Mt.
The largest group was when I posted a GTG at Copper Mt when we took our vacation last January. We were shocked and amazed that 23 people showed up to ski with us. There were 4 in our group so we had a total of 27 people for a simple, " Hey, I'll be here, you wanna ski with us?"

The draw back of a big crowd is that it's difficult to ski with everyone,and the group gets split up easily, especially with different abilities thrown in the mix.

Gotta love a good GTG!.

Puck it

My daughter and son -sometimes(they don't like to get up early teenagers)
Wife infrequent(Very far weather skier)
Friends often
Brother Majority of time

Alone quite a few times especially if the pow is coming down.