• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

Skied for a few runs yesterday afternoon and it was obvious any way down today would have issues. Wise to close.

Plus the snow was rather unpleasant even though softened.

Jeebus.

Carnage on the webcam.

Vibes.

danimals

Seems that is the new norm.....thaw/freeze/resurface or no Natural Snow what so ever....I am speaking generally over the last 6 years or so.

I agree. I mostly ride in PA and NY but I remember never really worrying much about the weather 2000-2010 as I could just go to any hill really and it was cold and there was snow. And when it snowed locally (lots of nor’easters) in southern NJ schools were out for a few days and the snow stuck around for weeks...

Now we get a storm once every few years, and the snow is all gone within 48 hours.

Hell there used to two small ski hills in south jersey that are now gone due to weather.

Looks like winter is back and staying for a while though, can’t wait to get to magic for my first time in March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

Last year was one of the best snow years for Vermont (much better for NoVT however) in several decades. The year before I was skiing waist deep powder at Magic Mountain.

Just saying don't hang your skis up yet.

slatham

Last year was one of the best snow years for Vermont (much better for NoVT however) in several decades. The year before I was skiing waist deep powder at Magic Mountain.

Just saying don't hang your skis up yet.

That's a very deceiving statement:
1) That was not the case for SoVT - snowfall was below historical averages.
2) Even up north they suffered frequent thaws. I was at Stowe in March and the snow stake was at an impressive and wonderful 100+" depth but it was still rock hard and did not ski great.

Although I agree with your point about not hanging up your skis. There have been some great streaks of skiing with some great powder days over the past several years. You just have to watch the weather and time it right.

And I've been skiing for 50 year. Freeze/thaws and especially the January thaw have been consistent events.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

It's not a deceiving statement at all sounds like you just prefer glass half empty mentality especially if you didn't like the skiing in NoVT last March :snow:

KustyTheKlown

i'm real curious as to what they get today-tomorrow and sat-sun. right now i am at jay saturday, but i'd love to drive down sunday morning, ski free at magic, shorten my drive home. then again, sunday morning isn't looking like the greatest time to drive 120 miles from lyndonville to londonderry...

unfortunately i think they are starting this period of snow with shitty enough conditions that 6-10" won't really matter or open much...

hughconway

Wow. MLK weekend is here already. I've used one of my Magic 4 pack tickets - 3 left. My original plan (based on projections that the quad would be completed & inspected by now) was to use one this weekend and the other two on the weekends flanking presidents week/school vacation to avoid the crowds at Killington.

I just checked the webcam and there hasn't been any visible progress on the quad since I was there a couple of weeks ago (shocker!) and presidents weekend is now only a month away. Given the current conditions and the crowds that will show up if there is a storm Friday into Saturday, I don't think it's worth heading back to Magic this season. 4 Pack pricing breaks down to $52.25/day of skiing. Anyone interested in buying 1 (or all 3) of the tickets I have left? I'll cut my losses and sell for $40 each or $110 for all 3.

KustyTheKlown

the storm is saturday into sunday and likely won't do enough to change the status quo on terrain.

you are foolish to give up on your magic four pack in mid january. we will be skiing pow in february and march at magic, no doubt. maybe even end of january.

who gives a shit about the quad? its a nice to have, not a need to have. magic has been fine the past few years with red, and green has relieved the beginner/racer strain on red. don't give magic and their team a hard time. they are a small operation running on elbow grease and passion, and its common for massive projects like this to experience delays.

bdfreetuna

Wow. MLK weekend is here already. I've used one of my Magic 4 pack tickets - 3 left. My original plan (based on projections that the quad would be completed & inspected by now) was to use one this weekend and the other two on the weekends flanking presidents week/school vacation to avoid the crowds at Killington.

I just checked the webcam and there hasn't been any visible progress on the quad since I was there a couple of weeks ago (shocker!) and presidents weekend is now only a month away. Given the current conditions and the crowds that will show up if there is a storm Friday into Saturday, I don't think it's worth heading back to Magic this season. 4 Pack pricing breaks down to $52.25/day of skiing. Anyone interested in buying 1 (or all 3) of the tickets I have left? I'll cut my losses and sell for $40 each or $110 for all 3.

I respect your decision to sell, however I have 4 "already paid" Magic passes to use this season (which I hope to share with my wife, so maybe 2 trips total). I am not concerned in the slightest about saving these for a little later on.

Remember, Magic will open terrain on less base than their neighbors. If you know how to steer on skis (away from rocks and water bars), this is a good thing. After this week's snow we should be half way there. They have already been at 100% open this season, and they will not hesitate to expand trail count whenever humanly possible.

KustyTheKlown

seriously. if i didnt have my own 4 pack and lots of other pass products floating around, i'd buy his remaining tickets and then post copious amounts of pics of me using them to ski powder in feb and march.

icecoast1

Winter's coming back and staying for a while this time from the looks of it. Seems pretty crazy to give up cheap tickets right now. There will definitely be days in feb/march that will be worth it. If I didnt already have a Magic pass I'd buy them in a heartbeat . Also, the quad hardly ever ran before and that never stopped you from having a good day

GregoryIsaacs

DM Sent

NYDB

Assuming 9-12'' between the 2 upcoming snow systems, I think by sunday AM you'll have natural green and blue terrain open on the east side (experts only, thin cover style) but that is about it. If I had a 4 pack I wouldn't burn one, but should be an enjoyable sunday.

I selfishly hope the limited terrain keeps the crowds manageable.

Last year MLK sunday was the busiest day I have ever seen at Magic after a storm, but they had more terrain open.

RustyGroomer

you are foolish to give up on your magic four pack in mid january. we will be skiing pow in february and march at magic, no doubt. maybe even end of january.

seriously. if i didnt have my own 4 pack and lots of other pass products floating around, i'd buy his remaining tickets and then post copious amounts of pics of me using them to ski powder in feb and march.

Or Sunday.

If you decide to head down, let me know. If a bed helps, you got one.

KustyTheKlown

^thank you. very much appreciated.

i'm 100% at jay on saturday and as of now i have a room in lyndonville with plans to ski burke sunday, or head back up to jay if burke underperforms. as much as i'd love to come south and ski magic sunday and make my final drive so much shorter, i'm not 100% sold on the snow being enough to make a major difference after magic got kicked in the dick last week. i'm also a bit concerned about the general safety of driving from lyndonville to londonderry on saturday evening or early sunday in the snow.

but i will certainly be back and we will shred the magic.

bdfreetuna

I'll take his spot. If you put out flowers I like those yellow roses and baby's breath. Also fair warning I can drink a lot of beer so if I show up and there's an empty fridge at least text me first I can grab a case.

slatham

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too early to give up 3 cheap tickets! Hell, one of my best seasons at Magic started on February 5th! Check out the Magic promo pick with Matt/Do Work in a red onesie - that was the start of a great run!