• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Bubba

He means from an operational competency perspectiv
He means from an operational competency perspective.
He means from an operational competency
Yes, yes, and yes. Disagree on all three of your assessments.
You obviously have never met the locals at either area, cause the community is the same. While MRG is obviously bigger, the terrain is very similar. If you don’t agree, you’ve never had a proper tour of Magic. It’s ok, ask a local, they are great and would be happy to show you.

KustyTheKlown

calm down new guy.

i love magic, i have been a passholder, and i've skied every inch of it. 'meeting the locals' has fuck all to do with it.

the comment was about operational competency, which mad river glen has in spades. magic doesn't. its unfortunate. i want them to succeed. how many times can you say 'bad luck'

Bubba

calm down new guy.

i love magic, i have been a passholder, and i've skied every inch of it. 'meeting the locals' has fuck all to do with it.

the comment was about operational competency, which mad river glen has in spades. magic doesn't. its unfortunate. i want them to succeed. how many times can you say 'bad luck'
Somehow your quote was added. I was talking to the dude who’s obviously never skied anything off the trail map at Magic. Magic has always been an operational shit show. Us locals are aware and are frustrated as anyone. But anyone writing the terrain and vibe aren’t comparable to MRG is putting their ignorance on full display. Their needs to be some logic to the hate.

Bubba

calm down new guy.

Also, I can guarantee you’ve never skied every inch of it without skiing with a local.

ThatGuy

Watch out Kusty big boy Bubba has a gps on you and knows where you been…
Got that local 6th sense.

Realistically its not that hard to ski all the inbounds terrain at Magic, you could easily do it in one season if the snow is good.

KustyTheKlown

with the tracking app its particularly easy. just about every set of woods between the trees is skiable, as well as the shoulders out of bounds on both sides. cool secrets, bro.

Bubba

with the tracking app its particularly easy. just about every set of woods between the trees is skiable, as well as the shoulders out of bounds on both sides. cool secrets, bro.
Watch out Kusty big boy Bubba has a gps on you and knows where you been…
Got that local 6th sense.

Realistically its not that hard to ski all the inbounds terrain at Magic, you could easily do it in one season if the snow is good.
I don’t need a GPS to know you can’t find it all without a local. We’ve cut it all and maintain it. There’s the low hanging fruit- trees between trails and the shoulders and then there’s the nooks and crannies. Honestly I’m always happy to show people around. This convo was about the comparison of Magic and MRG. I’d add to that, the locals at Magic are way more willing to show you around than at Mad.

foofy

@Bubba I've been a passholder multiple years at both. Both great mountains, I know the nooks and crannies, and the communities. I still disagree with your assessment, but that doesn't make me the ignorant one.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
This is fun to watch play out. Are there similarities between the two, absolutely. Are they close to the same, no. Not terrain, not community, I’d maybe give the bar nod to magic at this point, maybe.

And on the community front I’m not saying one better than the other. They just aren’t the same.

Last edited:

NYDB

So I don't know who was there the afternoon on the 29th last week ( I know @slatham was there) but it was so great for 4-5 hours. so great.
that's why I love magic. Holiday week, no lift lines, legit expert terrain open on soft snow decent but low tide coverage on West side, and a sunny afternoon to enjoy it.

I know that wasn't the scene at stratton, bromley, okemo, or mount snow that day. If you were at magic that afternoon it was like you were getting away with something. looking around like - why the fuck ain't more people here?

it's because everyone waits for great conditions to show up, and they miss middling conditions magic. which is my favorite magic. totally blows away anything south of Pico even 60% open.

anyway......

Bubba

This is fun to watch play out. Are there similarities between the two, absolutely. Are they close to the same, no. Not terrain, not community, I’d maybe give the bar nod to magic at this point, maybe.

And on the community front I’m not saying one better than the other. They just aren’t the same.
The more I think about it, you’re right. Magic lacks the pretentious, I’m cooler than you vibe you get at MRG. Both local tribes are extremely dedicated to their mountain, just in different ways. Terrain wise, Magic is a half size MRG. Is what it is.

drjeff

So I don't know who was there the afternoon on the 29th last week ( I know @slatham was there) but it was so great for 4-5 hours. so great.
that's why I love magic. Holiday week, no lift lines, legit expert terrain open on soft snow decent but low tide coverage on West side, and a sunny afternoon to enjoy it.

I know that wasn't the scene at stratton, bromley, okemo, or mount snow that day. If you were at magic that afternoon it was like you were getting away with something. looking around like - why the fuck ain't more people here?

it's because everyone waits for great conditions to show up, and they miss middling conditions magic. which is my favorite magic. totally blows away anything south of Pico even 60% open.

anyway......
Regardless of what mountain I am at that day, I will say that I have tons of days that ended up being really good, fun days where the day or 2 before, or even early on that day I skied, just looking at the forecast I wouldn't of expected it to be good/fun, and thought about not putting my gear on and going out for what I initially anticipated to be just a couple of runs.

I truthfully wonder if those who choose to mainly just chase "great" days instead of just getting out there and skiing regardless, really love the sport or just seek the social media accolades they get from posting up about a "great" day the chased???

I know today for me, which I wasn't expecting much, turned into a really fun day, and so many of my friends in the bar for apres had the same feeling

Do Work

Is the new Learning Area line stabbed off the Wizard upline now vs direct from pumphouse?

Yes it connects to the west side upline, but was installed with uphill valving that will let it terminate flow there- thus allowing the East/West valves to both be open simultaneously and run the learning center while sending water East early season.

The Witch pipe is fed from the 400 summit line off of upper carpet. It runs straight down witch and crosses down onto blackline, terminating at the bottom of the ledges which is also right where the 300’s apex is.

On the bright side the air aftercooler that was rebuilt last year works great so that’s a solid addition. Shame about the weather outlook, nothing those guys can do until that changes and when I drove by today it was pretty much all dirt on naturals.

Newpylong

Makes perfect sense thanks Matt. What's the deal with the pipe that goes up the ledges there? I was puzzled to its purpose and where it went...IE did the 300 originally keep going etc.

Do Work

Makes perfect sense thanks Matt. What's the deal with the pipe that goes up the ledges there? I was puzzled to its purpose and where it went...IE did the 300 originally keep going etc.

Do you mean up on Witch under Red? That’s where it used to also run over to the “upper upper black” via that traverse that comes out just below Pitch Black and Black Magic. No idea why it’s so high up in the air like that other than being my litmus test on which cliffs are sendable. All that pipe on that section west of Witch is disconnected. Only Witch and below is live currently.

Newpylong

Yeah the set that I spotted that keeps going up past the intersection of Black Line and Witch. Steve said it cut back over a Traverse towards Witch I was just wondering what the heck it was there for or why they would ever make snow up there in the past.

Tin

The more I think about it, you’re right. Magic lacks the pretentious, I’m cooler than you vibe you get at MRG.

Except for some of the ski patrol at Magic.
USZwaWQ9QXBp