• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

At this point spinning by the end of the year is a win, hopefully end of February. I bet that's going to be quite the party.

slatham

Great news this is finally moving forward. Really wish they could have it for the weekend, and I am sure their bank account agrees.

JoeB-Z

As per Magic snow report, Black passed its load test yesterday and will undergo state inspection this Saturday. Unfortunately looks like it will miss the brunt of the weekend traffic (“possible” opening Monday) but I didn’t think I’d see this day this season a month ago.
A little different in the Alpine Update but basically the same.

"Work continues on Black Quad after successful load-testing yesterday, with many punchlist items. State inspection will be soon but operations timing is not expected for the weekend,, but perhaps the holiday Monday, as the chair needs some run-time before opening to the public. But, it is getting very close."

skithetrees

I won’t be able to make it up until next weekend. Does this mean that is when they plan to open it? Anyone know how much “run-in time” is needed?

drjeff

If I am not mistaken based on memory and having been at Magic on President's Day 5yrs ago for my younger kids U14 Southern VT Council slalom race, that was the last day the old triple (which was loading doubles every 3rd chair) carried guests up to the Summit.

Would be a fitting closure to the saga that the installation process of the Black Quad has been if it could be carrying customers to the Summit on the 5th Anniversary of when the old Black last did. Sincerely hope it can happen!

jimmywilson69

what will this thread complain about when this chair runs? LOL

Be curious to see their next moves for improvements down there. from the discussion it seems like snowmaking upgrades should be next.

letitsnow1

Be curious to see their next moves for improvements down there. from the discussion it seems like snowmaking upgrades should be next.
We'll complain the additional lift capacity is making the trails too crowded lol

Newpylong

I think they gotta finish that tow up in the learning area and focus on snowmaking but I cant imagine there is much appetite for immediate investment following what has to be a huge charge over the past few years on that lift.

AdironRider

Have you forgotten all the other fuck ups?

Let’s start with how they can’t make snow before December and just build from there.

drjeff

I think they gotta finish that tow up in the learning area and focus on snowmaking but I cant imagine there is much appetite for immediate investment following what has to be a huge charge over the past few years on that lift.
Agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if next years capital expenditures end up being a few new HKD towers and a fresh coat of paint on a few things. Between the Black saga and the multiple flood recovery efforts, let alone the less than cooperative Weather during the 1st 2 big Holiday periods this year, unless some new financial backer comes in with a bunch of investment $$ for them, the coiffures I would suspect are running low right now. Hopefully Mother Nature will end up being kind the next 6-8 weeks and bring multiple snow storms with good weather on the weekends to get them a strong finish to the season, especially if they can have some buzz with the Black finally spinning (hopefully!)

ne_skier

Wrote something a couple pages ago about what would happen if the Black project was completed/abandoned - hopefully we'll see the positive half of that play out through the rest of this season and next. Having Black done should seriously cut the huge lift lines that keep people from trying Magic out for the first time and then returning for more, and to be rather blunt, makes them look like a much more serious operation (with all due respect). Safe to say they'll be making more money to offset that lift.
For now, savor the half-hour lines at Red this weekend. Could be the last time you see them for a long time.

skiur

It will probably break down a week after it opens, there will be plenty to complain about! :)

MidnightJester

Its Happening : )~ Magic Snow report today!! The Magic Lift Spell is cast, are all the ingredients right?

"Black Line Quad passed its load test on Tuesday, a critical step, and now will be state inspected this coming Saturday 2/17. So there is potential it will be opening to the public by Monday the 19th!"

Last edited:

zoomzoom

a successful "load test" means the lift's electronic drive can control the load. to pass, the electronic drive would have to accelerate the line to design speed, hold it there, and then decelerate per the standard. not too fast nor too slow. each individual brake { service, emergency and backstops } would be proven to hold the static load. some inspectors, or the left designer, may require dynamic testing of any brake. during load-testing at killington's canyon quad, the lift was run full speed in reverse, and then the bullwheel brake was applied. 500fpm iirc.

yes, omg!

typically there will be some unloaded carriers left at the top of the lift, giving room for these tests. you don't want loaded carriers slamming around the top wheel. the barrels from these carriers being spread out over the line. no cheating! after the elec loaded portion, the first loaded carrier would hopefully be at the "unload" line. the lift would then be allowed to reverse until the last loaded carrier was at the exit of the lower wheel, or perhaps at the "load" line. the apu would then be started and allowed to warm up, then it would be coupled up and proven to accelerate, hold and stop the load. final line speed under each mode, accel/decel times, braking distances, amperage readings, etc would be noted. if designed for downhill loading, overhauling loading would commence now. once ok, the barrels would be dumped of water and run down to the bottom.

line clearances { bottom of carrier to snow surface } would be checked during empty and loaded stops per the line profile.

this is "loaded" portion of an acceptance test, which is an entirely different animal.

zoomzoom

during acceptance testing, each manually operated switch will be tested. stops, slows, comm, machine room lanyard stops, apu e-stops, etc,etc. tower annunciation must be somehow proven, does a trip on T4 show as T10? not good. load lines, signage, portal ropes, apu instructions, all posted. and more.