• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

letitsnow1

There supposed to be open every Thursday and Friday. Did they cut back to weekends only in past Springs? I thought they kept there regular 4 day schedule. In the future it would be great if they could expand to 5 days a week like pico.

MidnightJester

There supposed to be open every Thursday and Friday. Did they cut back to weekends only in past Springs? I thought they kept there regular 4 day schedule. In the future it would be great if they could expand to 5 days a week like pico.
on their website you can only purchase lift tickets at the moment for (SAT & SUN) and no Thursday or Friday or Eclipse Monday

slatham

They pull back from Thur-Sun in late March, with these past 2 weekends Fri-Sun. They then try for the first weekend in April, but it is always only Sat/Sun, save for a dump. This has been typical for the past several/many years. There just aren't the visits late in the season to justify. Same rationale for closing Mon-Wed throughout season, except for mountain rentals.

Not sure when they might put Thur&Fri ticket sales on website. My guess is not until Tuesday when the storm will start and by then confidence will be pretty high on outcome.

letitsnow1

Considering they didn't open until mid January I would think they would try to stay open when possible for their loyal customers that buy a pass year after year, and give their seasonal employees a well deserved paycheck. It's hard to justify buying a pass when they weren't even open 3 full months

NYDB

Put me down as a passholder that wishes they operated more often and consistently. Thurs-Mon schedule from Mid dec open through close. No powder day openings. (or at the very least, thurs through Sun the entire season)

I think it would let them achieve better staffing consistency, and let Magic continue to move away from most peoples ' only go there on a powder day' perception of the place.

Plus they really don't have 'special powder day openings' much anymore. Like someone said upthread, this is the 1st this year. There have been very few the last couple of years.

Not having the customers is a BS excuse (unless they are really operating with no room for error) to not try it.

They need to do it first, and the customers will follow. Make snow, run lifts, etc. I think there is demand for it. But you might have to operate for a few years consistently first, and the customers will come.

Make snow, run lifts, customers will come.

Newpylong

I disagree somewhat.

Black NH is going under (amongst other reasons) because despite having only a dozen people skiing on a Monday they stayed open 7 days a week year after year regardless of conditions.

There aren't many powder days because well, there isn't really any snow anymore except for random March dumps.

Passholders at Magic know the operating schedule before buying a pass. I'm not talking opening day, but daily schedule. Magic doesn't have the school groups, night skiing, etc that thriving mid-week areas have to sustain themselves for the entire week. Staffing more days a week is also very difficult, especially near other bigger fish.

With RFID it is much easier for them to make more informed decisions now. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but it surely isn't Thursday to Monday. I think they are probably correct with Thur to Sunday, they just need to work to a more consistent opening date.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

It's a whole new deal for Magic to figure out how to optimize the business model with the Black lift built. No lift lines on a powder day is very attractive given their terrain. That was proven last Sunday. The Black lift siphoned off a lot of money and attention for many years. Snowmaking needs to be the next focus as the climate changes. Trying to get open on the Green lift early is ok for Thanksgiving but lame later in December. As for next year, Wand and Hokus Pocus need a glacier of snow so people do not need to pole over from Showoff if only Black is running. The sin of the work road rocks (could they have been bigger or sharper?) under Wand should never be the skiers problem. Or create a better diagonal off Showoff. Move the shack for the race equipment and maintain a real downhill path. Finishing a run on a slushy, sketchy Wand and Hocus sucks.

letitsnow1

Thurs to Sunday is fine but they should stay open those 4 days a week until closing day. And last Sunday there were definitely 5-10 min lifelines until they finally got red running at about 11. They had lift mechanics and ski patrol doing everything, it looked like shoestring operation. They should keep there seasonal employees employed to the end of the season. Early season they need to focus on making snow on lift severd trails first. The terrain park and beginner area should only get snowmaking after they have a route down from the summit. The snowmaking system is what's holding them back.

MidnightJester

Trying to figure out how Magic and the other mountains will handle this storm. Looking at 30mph winds in some places and 2ft of snow by Thursday morning.
Last weeks storm a lot of the mountains had employee and opening issues the next day after the storm. This storm is a little more spread out but most is coming Wed and Wed night into Thursday

Pushing to make my first Magic trip for this Storm one of the days.

Parking lot nightmare redo

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Magic rarely has wind holds, power outage is always a concern
The Black lift is a little more exposed up top. I was on alone Friday and I thought it was going to take off. Just a dumb worry. There is always the bulletproof Red.

ne_skier

The best way to eliminate the "only for powder days" narrative surrounding Magic is snowmaking capacity and timely early-season snowmaking. I'll give them a pass this year because they had the permitting issues with the pond in November and a warm December, but in the future having at least Green open by Thanksgiving needs to be the goal. Putting aside the possibility of a terrible winter, I'd like to see Magic get to the point where they're making enough snow on nearly all their snowmaking trails (yes, excluding Sorcerer) to be able to groom them out wall-to-wall, not just a skinny path down the middle. I've probably beaten a gaping hole in this drum by now, but the West Side is far better when Wizard is groomed the whole way down - even when you're heading west to ski bumps primarily.
For now, let's hope for some good snow to finish out this weird, backward season we're having.

MidnightJester

If you had to order Magic and Killington over Friday and Saturday what order do you think would work out the best?? Reasons or Opinions??
Never been to Magic ever yet and trying to work out a trip plan this week and weekend.

Currently considering Killington Friday and Magic on Saturday

Probably hitting Okemo up on Thursday(18" plus by then) thinking on way up to get more use out of my Epic pass. That's if I get up there early enough and the Mountains open decently. Sunday will be somewhere lol

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

I'd flip those. K with more elevation & further North could be all snow Saturday, Magic should be all time Thurs. Friday.

MidnightJester

Was wondering now that they have the new Black lift operating and its only (4)days this weekend left that they will still have Ticket sale limits??

ne_skier

The 8"-16" on their website after the mixed precip is a pretty big range in terms of terrain openings. If it's on the bigger side considering it's their last weekend (and when else are you skiing Red Line in April these days??) I'd expect crowds - not in the lift line sense with both lifts spinning, but tickets could run out on the sooner side.

skithetrees

Mountain weather is saying 18” at the base and 30”+ up top at Stratton. Slightly less at Okemo. Fingers crossed!