• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

drjeff

Looking forward to getting back to Magic on Sunday (and trying to figure out how to maximize my skiing as my son is taking a few race runs down Showoff, and not have it seem like i'm blowing him off to enjoy the rest of the mountain ;) )

BenedictGomez

Magic, Attitash, Platty, Bretton Woods, etc... either it's a small sample size coincidence or maybe the smaller places do this more often. I rarely see it dependably at bigger places.

Smellytele

Magic, Attitash, Platty, Bretton Woods, etc... either it's a small sample size coincidence or maybe the smaller places do this more often. I rarely see it dependably at bigger places.
I think White Heat at Sunday River used to be half bumps, half groomed.
Cannon's front five usually have one side on each trail bumped up as well

JimG.

Staff member
Belleayre is doing the half n' half on some terrain this season.

I don't love it but it's better than a total mow.

cdskier

Belleayre is doing the half n' half on some terrain this season.

I don't love it but it's better than a total mow.

Curious...which trails are they doing that on this season? I remember lower belleayre run was always like that. Trying to remember if any others were in the past back when I skied there regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Curious...which trails are they doing that on this season? I remember lower belleayre run was always like that. Trying to remember if any others were in the past back when I skied there regularly.

Upper and lower Belleayre run; Yahoo; and so far both Seneca and Onteora have been groomed side to side.

Can't figure out if that's because of the thaw/freeze thing (which I understand) or because Bruce Transue is the GM now. I think it's a little of both. I did notice on Wednesday that the "moguls" signs are on top of Onteora and Tongora (which had also been groomed) now so bump season is upon us.

cdskier

Upper and lower Belleayre run; Yahoo; and so far both Seneca and Onteora have been groomed side to side.

Can't figure out if that's because of the thaw/freeze thing (which I understand) or because Bruce Transue is the GM now. I think it's a little of both. I did notice on Wednesday that the "moguls" signs are on top of Onteora and Tongora (which had also been groomed) now so bump season is upon us.

Interesting. I definitely would not be a fan of either Seneca or onteora being groomed.

I never once saw tongora groomed either during the years I skied there.

Like you said, I’d understand if they did it due to thaw freeze. Otherwise if this is the new GM’s decision I don’t like it. The moguls at Belleayre on many of the trails you’re mentioning were some of my favorites and one of the things I really liked about Belle.

Kleetus

The Moguls at Bellayre are the only thing that draws me there on occasion in the spring. They normally have some good ones. Have had quite a few days skiing bumps there in the spring where snow never softened up at Gore or WF, but was warmer further south and did at Bellayre so made the trip and was worth it.

skiur

I wish more places did this, at least on a few trails.

It allows differing levels of skiers in the same group/family better enjoy a run together.

I disagree, I dont like when places do that, A bump run should be a bump run, and not made easy for people that cant ski it. I guess on a few trails its ok but lots of places are doing this everywhere. A bump run should rarely if ever be groomed and none of this half grooming nonsense.

ShadyGrove

Looking forward to getting back to Magic on Sunday (and trying to figure out how to maximize my skiing as my son is taking a few race runs down Showoff, and not have it seem like i'm blowing him off to enjoy the rest of the mountain ;) )

This is where the green chair really shines. You can mix in a west side lap and then ski to the green chair to head down Showoff and see your son race, without going all the way back to the top.

drjeff

This is where the green chair really shines. You can mix in a west side lap and then ski to the green chair to head down Showoff and see your son race, without going all the way back to the top.

From the parent perspective, especially since most of the time that Showoff is the race hill is for the younger kids (U10's and U12's) the Green is a godsend as you don't have to try and "reason" with your kid about NOT riding up the Red in their race suits to get their coats/pants rather than wait for the coaches to being the coat bag down after the run is complete! And at least the the last 6 years that my kids have been racing at Magic, the majority of their race days have been cold, blustery days, where riding the Red in a race suit is far from a warm thing! ;)

cdskier

I disagree, I dont like when places do that, A bump run should be a bump run, and not made easy for people that cant ski it. I guess on a few trails its ok but lots of places are doing this everywhere. A bump run should rarely if ever be groomed and none of this half grooming nonsense.

Depends entirely on the trail. Many of the bump runs at sugarbush I wouldn’t want half and half either as it would ruin the experience.

Some wider trails I think half and half is ok though. Just needs to be the right trail to support it properly.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Depends entirely on the trail. Many of the bump runs at sugarbush I wouldn’t want half and half either as it would ruin the experience.

Some wider trails I think half and half is ok though. Just needs to be the right trail to support it properly.

+1

The trail I posted above from Attitash is like 150 feet wide. It made sense. The other bump runs there were all wall to wall and I wouldn't have wanted to see a half and half. Probably the only trails that half and half would make sense at Sugarbush are Ripcord and Upper FIS. Maybe Cliffs too for something lower angle.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Interesting. I definitely would not be a fan of either Seneca or onteora being groomed.

I never once saw tongora groomed either during the years I skied there.

Like you said, I’d understand if they did it due to thaw freeze. Otherwise if this is the new GM’s decision I don’t like it. The moguls at Belleayre on many of the trails you’re mentioning were some of my favorites and one of the things I really liked about Belle.

It was the thaw/freeze. I went today and there are "moguls" signs in all the usual places. No more grooming.

Tongora had some really nasty ice bumps on it and needed a grooming.

rocks860

Today was great. Definitely a “firm” base but still a ton of fun. Found a new favorite glade in the hallows, a little scratchy but tons of snow in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocks860

Saw bits and pieces and rode up on the red with a guy who had just done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk