• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

KustyTheKlown

yep. cheers to the engineers and project managers. human ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.

maybe its a stoner thing, but i cant drive over a bridge or thru a tunnel, or fly in an airplane, without marveling that we've figured this shit out.

MG Skier

It was impressive to watch via Magic’s feed. Once the parts are next to the concrete form it goes together fast!! Nice work installers and planners! When is the crane coming for the bull wheel and drive terminal? Maybe I can make that one?

IceEidolon

Per Facebook, guns are running!

One of Magic's replies indicates they're opening Green first, which makes good sense. There's electrical most of the way up, and pressure for Impulse and Viper low energy guns (compared to Ratniks at the top). That should help get the best efficiency out of the system.

I'll be curious to see what the exact route is now that Green is online.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=479529576024088

slatham

Yes one of the major justifications for Green was the ability to get open quicker.

As far as route my guess is Wand to Show Off, then Lower Wand into Hocus Pocus, tubing, beginner area.

Real question is, Lower Magic Carpet next, or a run off the summit?

Slidebrook87

Well, I don't think Magic will be able to complete the quad on time. They still have a lot to do. It should've been done and load testing by now.

drjeff

Well, I don't think Magic will be able to complete the quad on time. They still have a lot to do. It should've been done and load testing by now.

The stated intention that the Magic admins who frequent this forum have said now for months, is that the goal is to have the new black spinning and carrying folks up the hill in January.

I don't think that I can ever recall them, once the project actually started, that the plan was to have it spinning by the opening day Thanksgiving/1st weekend of December time frame

drjeff

Yes one of the major justifications for Green was the ability to get open quicker.

As far as route my guess is Wand to Show Off, then Lower Wand into Hocus Pocus, tubing, beginner area.

Real question is, Lower Magic Carpet next, or a run off the summit?

I think some of that choice of where to head next may have a bit to do with how much (or little) heavy equipment they still need to get to/from the top terminal of the new Black quad to finish it off. I think we all can agree that it would be much "easier" to help pull/drag/assist a wheeled crane or cement truck if still need for the top terminal through as little snow along their work route up and down from the top, than a tracked vehicle such as a bulldozer or excavator through some whales of manmade.

IceEidolon

Fortunately there are several options now with working pipes, pressure, and in some cases power for fans, so even if they can't bury the work road the snowmakers can stay busy.

slatham

I think some of that choice of where to head next may have a bit to do with how much (or little) heavy equipment they still need to get to/from the top terminal of the new Black quad to finish it off. I think we all can agree that it would be much "easier" to help pull/drag/assist a wheeled crane or cement truck if still need for the top terminal through as little snow along their work route up and down from the top, than a tracked vehicle such as a bulldozer or excavator through some whales of manmade.

From what I heard, now that the last cement work was done they can bury the work road.

Regarding Black, the earliest date I ever heard was prior to Christmas, never for opening or December 1 etc. I think the target now is by MLK.

hughconway

From what I heard, now that the last cement work was done they can bury the work road.

In theory, don't they still need the work road to bring up the top bullwheel and a crane to mount it?

I'm still very impressed by what the folks over at Magic are making happen, but I'll stand by my assumption that the new quad won't be ready and inspected until next season.

Slidebrook87

I guess they'll have to use that red chair for most of the season. Does anyone know if a new motor was installed for black? The old motor when it was Snow Bowl sounded pretty cool.

drjeff

In theory, don't they still need the work road to bring up the top bullwheel and a crane to mount it?

Maybe, maybe not. I have seen in the past when areas have to do bearing work on a bullwheel that they are able to use an excavator to lift the bullwheel on/off it's mounts and then a sled behind a snowcat to transport it up/down the mountain for service. And as we all know, the crew at Magic most certainly has demonstrated that they're pretty good at figuring out the logistical challenges that they encounter in their tireless (and much appreciated!) efforts to improve the infrastructure and experience at Magic!

MG Skier

I’d say they are working their plan on the new to them quad the best they can. When you have to wait for a sub contractor to finish concrete there isn’t a whole lot you can do. Let’s remember that the green chair came on line after the start of the season. I can remember people working on it at the start of the season when I stopped at Sunshine Corner. I’m sure Magic has a plan for just about every situation! They want that chair on line just as much as we do or more! Hoping to get out there soon!!! Looking forward for a ski, a cold upper pass beer and a Ruben and some great conversations!!:snow::daffy::beer:

Do Work

Thanks for all the kind words everybody, we are chugging right along despite many setbacks due to the lift builders basically destroying all the snowmaking pipe they came in contact with during the build. Doesn't take much when you've got an #85k dozer pulling a #40k concrete sled around, and I've been upside down in the mud and welding for weeks to get it all back together.

She's working like a charm now though, and we are currently wide open from the top of Medium down to the Red Chair and the snow is piling up fast with these temps. Crews are working around the clock to maximize output and keep the progression rolling and we are very optimistic for our projected opening.

Everybody is really excited to start bumping chairs. It feels like several lifetimes of work since last season and I cannot wait to get into the swing of things, see all my favorite people again and kick off this season right!

Now if we can just burn enough skis and do enough snow dancing/sacrificial drinking to swing this next storm a bit to the north we'll be all set!

Do Work

I’d say they are working their plan on the new to them quad the best they can. When you have to wait for a sub contractor to finish concrete there isn’t a whole lot you can do.

This is more correct than I ever want to fully articulate. If stress and contingency deployment was money I could buy Bezos and get back Gates as change.

MG Skier

This is more correct than I ever want to fully articulate. If stress and contingency deployment was money I could buy Bezos and get back Gates as change.

Do Work, I was up for a hike yesterday....yes, you have been busy! There isn't much you can do with all that heavy stuff going over the lines! Glad to see the picture this morning....any help from mother nature is appreciated!

JoeB-Z

Sure looks like a rippin' storm and temps for next week leading up to the opening.

slatham

It was great to see snowmaking plumes on Magic today from across the valley. Stopped by for my pass and checked out the progress and a lot of snow was put down in only 24 hours. Should be great opportunities for more snowmaking this week and of course a nice storm of - well lets be conservative and just say double digits....

Great job by Do Work and team to get things running. Time soon for Do Work to Go Ski!

KustyTheKlown

so, does magic open earlier than saturday given the storm? and do they open red? i hope the answers are no, and yes, so there is freshies waiting for a red chair debut on opening day. i'm in.