• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

That's the way I read it too, possibly going to a compression assembly due to an engineering error in the profile. No small task, even if you found it.

machski

Did some research on my go-to websites and here's what I found:
-Sunapee's former Sunbowl Quad was installed in that position in 1998, however, it was relocated from Okemo where it was likely installed as the Solitude Quad in 1987, replaced in 1994, relocated to be the South Face Quad, and replaced once more in 1997 and moved to Sunapee a year later. Being a 1987 install it does have the spoked sheaves, however according to multiple sources they are keeping the line gear, chairs, and terminals for a future North Peak replacement, so they might be unwilling to choke up parts.
-West Mountain did actually list the leftover parts from the old Barnstormer lift (1985 install, but it may have been sold to Catamount for their new Glade lift. I'm not sure however, and if I were Magic I'd definitely look into that, it could end up being their solution.
Wow, I knew the current Sunbowl Express was relocated from Okemo (the HSQ that Sunburst 6 replaced) but I didn't realize the FGQ was an Okemo relocation too. Two lifts in that alignment relocated, crazy stuff.

ne_skier

Snow report for Thursday looks pretty optimistic about a thaw this week, only trails predicted to be closed (And yes, this is obviously subject to change) are Upper Magician, Black Magic, Warlock and White Tiger. Hopefully the rain and subsequent freeze predicted for Friday doesn't turn out to be much and the spring conditions can carry into the weekend in some capacity

NYDB

Yeah I don't know about soft this weekend. It doesn't get warm enough really. Maybe sunny spots after lunch. Bromley might be the place to be this weekend in so vt.

slatham

I think someone had asked about St Pat's day? From Alpine Update:

Get Your Irish Up!: We plan to have a special St Patrick's day opening for next Wednesday with $49 tickets for everybody! The T-BAR will be open, the deck grill going and some Irish Beef Stew and Guinness for lunch at the BLT. The cafeteria and take-out window will be closed, but it should be a fun day on the hill as we wear our green and enjoy a bonus March day of skiing and riding at Magic! (Red Lift only, though.)

ThatGuy

Snow has softened up real nice.

Attachments

• D3A9B119-2DA2-4237-AE24-3388A226B8BF.jpeg
    D3A9B119-2DA2-4237-AE24-3388A226B8BF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

NYDB

^ it better have been soft today. Wasn't it like 60 degrees?

I'm more worried about what's going to be left after today and tommorow, because it looks to get cold again with some potential snow chances next week

ne_skier

Weather.com predicting a low of 19 Friday night. For next week, there's potential for Tuesday PM snow showers, wintery mix on Wednesday, and 1-3 inches on Friday

drjeff

NOAA shows nothing for Magic
Some of the local snowmobile clubs in SoVT, mind you who at times may even be more optimistic about future snowfall potential then some of us AZ'ers, I have seen suggest that 6-12" could fall next week over a series of a couple of storms...

Time will tell. Most seem to agree though that in about another 24hrs, the really warm air goes away for a while...

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

single chair weather blog's thursday post was talking about potential big snow next weekend. the 12z gfs run had a beauty for next friday. the 18z has nothing in the same time frame. its 9 days out so no one really knows yet

the 12z run, for next friday morning:

1615505216789.png

reefer

at magic. just softening up. adventure skiing on tali. base isn't going anywhere but things will likely be frozen. ugh.

Attachments

• 20210312_110003.jpg
    20210312_110003.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

slatham

There is *potential* for next week but the models are having a tough time with both storms. The pic KTK put up is the second storm. You can't pay much attention to the 2nd storm when the models disagree on the first one (which would be around the 17th, if it holds together). The first storm is just coming together over the 4-corners and will blast Denver. The second is still out in the Pacific. Lots of time and lots of potential but too early to get excited....

ThatGuy

Can feel the cold front coming in now. Hopefully that storm does deliver next week.

Attachments

• C1F77E63-E519-48FB-BF6E-021E45BE9819.jpeg
    C1F77E63-E519-48FB-BF6E-021E45BE9819.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

Slidebrook87

Why not use late 80s/90s style Poma sheaves? The ones used on Black currently are the older spoked style, but the newer ones are compatible and much more plentiful. The F-Triple at Hunter (same model as Black) has a mix of the old spoked style and the newer sheaves.

Newpylong

Well first of all, Tim doesn't videotape and talk about lifts as a hobby, he does this for a living, and has been doing it for 20 years. So if it were that simple it wouldn't be a big to-do.