• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

The sheave trains for the mis-engineered towers had to be re-built from scratch iirc. I'd of thought early 90s Poma sheaves would be a dime a dozen?
Not who you asked, but it’s my recollection that sourcing the sheave assemblies was the tricky part, not the sheaves themselves. The sheaves Poma used from the late 70s through 1986/87 are also different than those used from the late 80s through the 90s. BL, being from ‘86, has the older spoked style sheaves as opposed to the newer “solid” ones seen on newer installs (Blue Ribbon @ Bromley). Alas I am unaware of the technical differences between these, for all I know it’s just a difference in design.

ne_skier

Another Sept 1 has come & gone without any sort of significant progress on the Black Quad. Supposedly the contractor will be back this week to handle some of the 'easy' towers, but the "hard to access" tower that has been the source of all sorts of excuses is still untouched. While there is still enough time to get the installation complete before the season starts, if the history of this job is any indicator of the future, I suspect the lift will be delayed....again.
Never saw myself giving an inch to the veteran trolls who lurk in this thread, but here we are. The frustration is justifiable. The trolls may rejoice now that someone who actually skis at Magic and is invested in its future is giving some minor credence to one of their rants.

After 4 seasons without a second summit lift and the potential for a fifth, it's understandable to be a little frustrated with the process. The consequences of only one lift to the top, whether it's long lift lines for a similarly long lift ride or no summit access during Red's breakdowns can and do suck. And unless you're paying attention to the updates and are at least decently versed in the tribulations of installing a chairlift, it may seem like not much is being done to meet the current, 5th target.

As shitty as it feels and looks to dismiss this buildup of frustration with "it just sucks", that's all you can really do. With the exception of whoever ends up taking the blame for the engineering mishap that has added at least 2 years to this project, there isn't really anyone to point the finger at here. While it isn't Magic's fault that despite 6 years of growth they still aren't rich by any ski area definition, it also isn't Pfister's fault for being overworked and catering to customers in more dire straits and with deeper pockets (y'know, like companies typically do).

The question now is where do we go from here. With the possible exception of SkyTrak, the possibility of another installer or lift manufacturer taking the reins for this project is very unlikely. My best, unqualified advice going forward is to stay honest with the aforementioned frustrated clientele as Magic has been doing and don't set expected opening dates till the lift is inspected.

Do Work

The question now is where do we go from here.

I go retrofit a chairlift. Starting today FYI, Pfister boys are out there now staging and building parts and we'll be working on this nonstop until these towers are done. I won't make any promises but the wheels are finally freakin' moving after a long and torturous stay with our hands bound in engineering hell (as opposed to welding hell which is where I will be for the next month).

I know people are frustrated about Black's status for good reason and I am too, so I'm just going to finish wolfing down this sandwich and get back to welding rather than attempt to placate. I'm sure G will be sharing status updates and pics as we complete our goals so stay tuned.

bigbob

I go retrofit a chairlift. Starting today FYI, Pfister boys are out there now staging and building parts and we'll be working on this nonstop until these towers are done. I won't make any promises but the wheels are finally freakin' moving after a long and torturous stay with our hands bound in engineering hell (as opposed to welding hell which is where I will be for the next month).

I know people are frustrated about Black's status for good reason and I am too, so I'm just going to finish wolfing down this sandwich and get back to welding rather than attempt to placate. I'm sure G will be sharing status updates and pics as we complete our goals so stay tuned.
Nothing beats a positive attitude. This is what life is these days, a series of setbacks, but unless you keep pushing foreword the setbacks will beat you! Rember, they started this project during Covid and the world is still not back to normal. Will it ever be?

slatham

Good call. Those boulders will stop alot of people from sliding all the way to the bottom after they try to turn on the ice.
Ha! LOL.

The good news, Wizard Chute is now wider. But now there’s a man made rock ledge to keep it a true Magic trail!

I hiked this earlier this summer when the work started. I was thinking they would need some dynamite to get wider into the rock ledge. Looks like some talented backhoe work might have done it.

Some much needed widening especially if uphill capacity is increased.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Good call. Those boulders will stop alot of people from sliding all the way to the bottom after they try to turn on the ice.

I went down on the ice there once. So now I'm on the ground looking up and my buddy turns hard right and rode up the ledge to stop himself. A patroller 50 feet behind us fell as well trying to stop himself from hitting me.

JoeB-Z

Nice to see the show stoppers addressed. I need to stop by in a bit, pay for my locker and do my "inspection". Interesting to see how the Wizard chute skis. My wimpy knees don't allow just going for it.

slatham

Attachments

• 7DA6253D-952A-4B16-B00D-5DD995B65040.jpeg
    7DA6253D-952A-4B16-B00D-5DD995B65040.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • F526B094-1749-4012-A705-4F5BBB8B9835.jpeg
    F526B094-1749-4012-A705-4F5BBB8B9835.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18