• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

NYDB

they didn't do a big groom last night? I wonder if they had a mechanical issue. seems like a thaw / freeze event would warrant a regroom of the groomed terrain.

or maybe there wasn't anything they could do so they left it as is

Last edited:

chuckstah

I was told yesterday they are down a groomer, don't know the issue.

ne_skier

Sun is coming out in full force so I’d expect the conditions to turn spring-y around 1 which should resolve the groom issue. Ungroomed transitioning from crusty to deep and wet, with a bit of stickiness to it

JoeB-Z

I hope they are going to have the two operators going back to back with an all nighter on the one machine. With what I saw on Friday, it could really be tricky tomorrow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was there today with my son and some friends. Pretty tough conditions early, but the groomers became nice cream cheese around noon. Anything in the shade never softened much by the time we were done at 3.

First time there for my 7 year old. He loved it and handled the early frozen cord and coral reef bumps well. Wanted to do his first double diamond, so I took him down Twilight Zone. He did remarkably well given the challenging snow.

Stunner of a day, but needed to be 10 degrees warmer to soften the terrain in the shade.

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_092225366.jpg
    IMG_20230318_092225366.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

JoeB-Z

It was lovely today. Talisman skied about as easy as it ever could. Wall to wall perfection. the weather looks to hang in too. Next weekend is looking good. People were in the woods and the 2" opened up Black Line etc. It seems freeze thaw for now but no meltdowns. Maybe another weekend beyond Easter?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Yeah it was a bit crusty under the 2" in the AM but by afternoon everything was completely amazing. Was taking my teen twins down double black steeps, bumps and glades I never would have touched with them the other times we have been here. Got one of their small "stealy" stickers for my helmet too.

JoeB-Z

Yeah it was a bit crusty under the 2" in the AM but by afternoon everything was completely amazing. Was taking my teen twins down double black steeps, bumps and glades I never would have touched with them the other times we have been here. Got one of their small "stealy" stickers for my helmet too.
I thought it was a great afternoon to introduce advanced skiing. Very glad you had the chance with your twins. At that age they can advance a year in their skiing and confidence when they see what can be done.

Smellytele

I was there Sunday as well. Stuff that hadn't been skied in awhile such as Black line was crusty underneath but things that had been being skied were great, The groomers were in great shape as well. Skied the woods all day from the 2nd run on with 2 runs down black line. Crazy that so many people were skiing red line that was scraped off after the first person went down it as the rest of the mountain was skiing so well. Got a run down upper Magician as well that was fun. Sun came out around 1 and made for an excellent afternoon,

NYDB

I was there Sunday as well. Stuff that hadn't been skied in awhile such as Black line was crusty underneath but things that had been being skied were great, The groomers were in great shape as well. Skied the woods all day from the 2nd run on with 2 runs down black line. Crazy that so many people were skiing red line that was scraped off after the first person went down it as the rest of the mountain was skiing so well. Got a run down upper Magician as well that was fun. Sun came out around 1 and made for an excellent afternoon,
People will lap a beat up and scraped off redline all day for some reason. I Don’t get it either. Maybe it’s the run under the chair effect?

JoeB-Z

The sking exceeded my expectations today. The inch of snow last night helped but also the base did not set up to anything really hard, just firm and edgeable. I suppose the natural was sort of technical but some really good skiers looked great on Red Line. I think tomorrow will be a fine day if people can make it.

ne_skier

Say goodbye to the beloved wicket tickets - for next season Magic will implement RFID with handheld scanners to facilitate multi-resort Indy Passes. Had some pretty crappy experiences with these at Mountain Creek, but the Alpine Update says they generally receive positive feedback.

ne_skier

The key to making sure this works is having people put their cards in the proper pocket and making sure scanners can do the scanning efficiently. At Mountain Creek, the scanners often didn't know where to look, the machines took a while to pick up the card's presence and there was always a handful of people who held up the line after putting their card beside their phone or wallet. Naturally I imagine some of these issues are worse given the location I had my experience at. Line holdups also shouldn't be as big of a deal if...erhm...particular factors allow for a decrease in lift lines to the summit.

Shame it has to come to this - a small minority of people screw with the experience for everyone else. I'm fairly anti-RFID for a resort like this, but it's apparent that this is a serious problem, and ignoring it would be flushing money down the toilet, something this place really can't afford to do.