• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The offical A zoner vote for minin summit 14/15

4aprice

Scotty must be studying this summer as his posts have become suddenly readable. (maybe Dome's translation course is working). I agree with the premise of a So Vermont GTG. Magic would be a lot of fun, but anything south of K would raise my chances of being able to attend. Have to make more definite arrangements though as I missed MMW and others at Magic last year due to failed texts. (failed to deliver, thanks Verizon). Did get a couple of runs with Wa-Loaf though. Hope it works out.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Any place from Stowe to Magic & everything in between works for me. Since some people seem to be worried about snow consistency at Magic I'm surprised Bromley hasn't been mentioned as a meeting spot. It's in southern VT., has more reliable snow, same small mountain vibe & believe it or not does have some pretty damn good terrain (both glades & bumps). Finding a place to stay would also be much easier with Manchester nearby. Just a thought, like I said anywhere between where I mentioned works for me. Jay & Smuggs are little bit to far north & Mount Snow is a little to far south. From our house I could be in the MRV or Manchester areas in an hour, of course Killington/Pico or Okemo are even closer. Stowe is about my max. for a day trip being about an hour & fourty minute drive although I have done Smuggs on occassion.

Last edited:

Madroch

Like the magic idea...
But it may be hit or miss... Maybe pico if trying to stay southish....

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
For most people? I don't see how.

It's about 6 hours from me to Stowe or Smuggs, but at least 8.5 to Sugarloaf (with a far greater chance for "longer" due to traffic).

How about another "mini " for us "Southern orphans". Elk , Hunter, Cameklback ? Does'nt need to be the same weekend as the others .
One a month ? 3-4 weeks

darent

I think the lack of lodging could be an Achilles heel for a magic meetup like this. Maybe JRMagic and rusty groomer have ideas? It's only 1.5 hours from here, so it's a non-issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
some decently priced lodging just down the road from Magic, The INN in the Meadow is one

ScottySkis

Thanks 4A price I just have more time now so not trying to hide from boss or supervisor at work so I can out more of what I want to say.

I be down with Magic or Killingtion would be my votes now.

skiNEwhere

I guess reviews like this don't help build confidence in their maintenance operations:

Mike Donnelly

a year ago
only 1 lift at this mountain, and it broke down while we were on it, and we were lucky to get down. Lift stayed closed for 5 days. Had to fight like hell to get a partial refund even though we only skied down 1 time and we were stuck on the lift for 1 hour.

The terrain and snow are excellent, everything else is not. We had discount tickets, they would not let us use more than 1 and gave us a hard time with that 1. They have no mirrors in the bathrooms, and parking lot is tiny and a long ways off. Prepare to hike to the lodge.

One friend who likes Magic (again the mountain is great) skis with a rope at all times, because he has gotten stuck on the lift frequently enough and has lowered himself down from the chair lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like the idea of Magic in early March. Call it March Magicness Summit.

And regarding reliability of good skiing at Magic? As long as the place is open, that's all that's needed.

The reality is that while we've had the AZ Summit 5 times now at Sugarloaf, (a mountain with massive snowmaking capabilities and decent natural) the skiing at 2 of those summits was pretty bad, 1 year was completely awful, last year was decent and then we had the one epic summit with the Nemo Blizzard. This is New England, the chances of having bad conditions are far greater than having good conditions on a pre-booked group outing. That said, I've had a blast at every single one of the AZ summits.

If there's a lodging partner / hotel that's close by with a decent enough bar for apres ski activities; I'd love to see it happen.

The question is, what lodging facility will partner with Magic to deliver the kind of deal we get at Sugarloaf. Last year it was as cheap as $138 per person for two nights of lodging and two days of skiing. Insanely good deal.

If we can find something for even $200 a head at Magic, I think we'd have a good turn out.

skiNEwhere

Someone mentioned superbowl weekend, which is February 1st. That would cool if the meetup was then, because I'm hoping to get to an official AZ summit as well.

xwhaler

I would think seeing if the Upper Pass Lodge would be interested in a group rate on tickets+lodging makes the most sense.
Its not slopeside but is the closest lodging to the lift, probably the nicest on the access road and has a bar/restaurant on site that could be utilized before/after the BLT.
It appears there are different room configurations from standard hotel rooms to larger multi-bedroom options.

http://www.upperpasslodge.com/

RustyGroomer

I'll be the point man for Magic if needed. Just give me the date. I know Vince @ the Upper Pass & can get rooms for those in need. It's pretty nice, clean, doggie friendly. Can probably get some discounted group tickets, etc. Can surely play tour guide. Happy to take care of everything.

twinplanx

I'll be the point man for Magic if needed. Just give me the date. I know Vince @ the Upper Pass & can get rooms for those in need. It's pretty nice, clean, doggie friendly. Can probably get some discounted group tickets, etc. Can surely play tour guide. Happy to take care of everything.

Doggie friendly is nice perk!

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

RustyGroomer

Doggie friendly is nice perk!

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk
One of our Boston's with Vince's pug. We bring the dogs down there for playtime.
1450900_10202430850550823_57054694_n.jpg