• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official March '17 Nor'easter Thread

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
thats my main concern. tho my bases are already fucked and the replacement skis already purchased waiting to be drilled.

hows the base at burke? with a 2 foot dump will the burke glades all be 100% game on?

Most everything will be back in play. Especially by this weekend with another small storm in the forecast for Saturday.

12" = everything will be back on but you might take on some damage in places like Jungle.

16-20" =
hh.gif

cdskier

Plus Stowe and the Bush have some of the best terrain. The front 4 and Castlerock would entertain any of our Western friends

No...The Bush sucks. Castlerock sucks. Everyone should stay far away! :snow:

KustyTheKlown

sweet. i think i keep the lyndon hotel, do burke saturday, sleep in lyndon, get up early, hoof it south to magic for sunday, then i'm an easy 3:45 from home, and i get to use my vt 5pack and my magic voucher, saving my K days for the weeks to come

dlague

Plus Stowe and the Bush have some of the best terrain. The front 4 and Castlerock would entertain any of our Western friends

I would agree! In fact, I can think of lots of terrain that would be a lot of fun - I think SL will be off the hook!

Jully

Just got the go ahead to work from home tomorrow (which means Wednesday too...), so I just got about 5x more excited. I'll be day tripping, but making sure I leave plenty early. Can hit SR, Wildcat, Tash, Crotched, or even Waterville or Berkshire East... sad that I gotta pick only one...

Last edited:

drjeff

When I was at Burke 10 days ago, the good natural trails were in need of at least 2 feet to really cover up some of the rock out croppings, the woods in and around the East Bowl area, while bullet proof while I was there, looked to still have generally decent coverage, and that was before the squalls last Friday and before this coming storm, so that should be good to go if the storm pans out as they're thinking.

FYI - be careful for deer on I-91 a bit South of St Johnsbury!!! I went "deer hunting" at 73mph on my way up to Burke :eek: Fortunately while my car sustained $5 grand in damage per the insurance estimate, it was at least still driveable, even if it did smell like some ripe deer jerky for a few days after!!!!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
When I was at Burke 10 days ago, the good natural trails were in need of at least 2 feet to really cover up some of the rock out croppings, the woods in and around the East Bowl area, while bullet proof while I was there, looked to still have generally decent coverage, and that was before the squalls last Friday and before this coming storm, so that should be good to go if the storm pans out as they're thinking.

FYI - be careful for deer on I-91 a bit South of St Johnsbury!!! I went "deer hunting" at 73mph on my way up to Burke :eek: Fortunately while my car sustained $5 grand in damage per the insurance estimate, it was at least still driveable, even if it did smell like some ripe deer jerky for a few days after!!!!

The only time it takes two feet to cover up anything at Burke is if the trail starts out completely bare. most of the rocks cover up pretty well with just 8-12". A few rocks on Fox's Folly, Rerun take a bit more. I always say that 6" at Burke does more to improve terrain conditions than it does at any other mountain. A lot of that has to do with the shape of the rocks on Burke vs those on NH mtns and the Green Mtn spine where they are more jagged and lots more of them.

And yes, once you get into the CT river valley, the number of deer increases A LOT.

hammer

Ouch, guessing you were OK? What became of the deer?

slatham

I don't know....in my town, the psychic shift to spring is setting in. But I guess up in the mountains, skiing is still on everyone's mind.

Hope it isn't utterly mobbed, but you are probably right.

I think the crowd potential on a sunny, warm Presidents Day weekend after significant and well advertised snow will dwarf this weekend, March 18th. Too many people have switched gears, and there were a lot of people out on Presidents who ski 1-4 days a year. While I am sure it will be busy, I highly doubt its anywhere near Presidents.

drjeff

jerky... ;-)
This one was more like pâté after I hit its head/shoulder area just below my passenger side headlight with the cruise on 73!!

Couldn't see any cars on 91 where I was at the time... Saw the deer maybe 2 seconds tops before impact!!

Fortunately for me (and my daughter who was in the car at the time with me) aside from being a bit shocked at the incident, my car was driveable after pulling a bit of what was left of a portion of the wheel well and some of my shredded front air dam and fog light assembly!! Other than that, aside from smelling like beef jerky for a few days before it went into the shop, no issues for us!! The deer didn't fair nearly as well!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
CT statewide travel ban beginning at 5am :thumbdown:

That pretty much limits me to Catamount, Jimminy Peak, and Bellayre. Catamount might not be open. I doubt Bell will be accessible. Jimminy Peak it is!

Malloy has officially pissed in my bowl of Cheerios.

KustyTheKlown

i cant ski the actual storm. i'm just stoked we are gonna get an extra ~month out of what looked like a dead in the water season.

albert a ripper

Got my powder board waxed up and ready. Leaving in the morning and not coming back till I can't walk.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1489448912.916234.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone