• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Time to burn my Stratton freebie....

ta&idaho

Anybody been there of late and can give an honest assessment of conditions?

Yeah, I used my free ticket on Sunday. Everything was groomed flat, so it was mostly fast cruisers all day. The Snow Bowl area had the best snow, but the lift wasn't running since it had been iced up pretty badly the day before. The glades over there were skiable and fairly fun (especially Cabin Fever), but it took forever to get back up because the lift wasn't running. The runs on the Shooting Star/Sunrise side of the mountain were somewhat icy/chunky for the top half and slushy on the bottom half, but this is where we spent most of the day since it had the longest sustained pitch when you combined the two lifts. We didn't spend a ton of time in the middle portion of the mountain, because the Gondola was mobbed and there isn't another convenient way to get back to the top.

My recommendation: pick a sunny day, get there first thing, and bomb cruisers until the crowds show up.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Originally Posted by Dr Skimeister View Post
Anybody been there of late and can give an honest assessment of conditions?

Yeah, I used my free ticket on Sunday. Everything was groomed flat, so it was mostly fast cruisers all day. The Snow Bowl area had the best snow, but the lift wasn't running since it had been iced up pretty badly the day before. The glades over there were skiable and fairly fun (especially Cabin Fever), but it took forever to get back up because the lift wasn't running. The runs on the Shooting Star/Sunrise side of the mountain were somewhat icy/chunky for the top half and slushy on the bottom half, but this is where we spent most of the day since it had the longest sustained pitch when you combined the two lifts. We didn't spend a ton of time in the middle portion of the mountain, because the Gondola was mobbed and there isn't another convenient way to get back to the top.

My recommendation: pick a sunny day, get there first thing, and bomb cruisers until the crowds show up.

I was also there on sunday and generally agree with the conditions, but other than the lower mtn glades on the sunbowl area, I'd have to say the conditions were not that great. When TA & Idaho, says groomed flat (s)he means it! I kept thinking, I need to try telemarking like I've been wanting to so I wouldn't be so bored. I'd wait to use that freebie after some new snow, which will hopefully come after this weeks' warmup so the woods will be in better shape, (and the trails!). My daughter(s) did do amazing in the skischool (baby was in daycare). And, I must say, they had major lift issues on saturday where the mtn was closed morning and I believe just parts of the lower mtn were running in the p.m., but they basically gave us full refunds for daycare and skischool, despite the kids being in there for about an hour or so before we pulled them for the day. I must say they did treat people right.