• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Time-warp base lodges

skiNEwhere

Yea, that's right. It wasn't built until the late 80's, but IMHO it looks like the color scheme you'd see from that era. Definitely dated.

SkiingInABlueDream

Are you looking for lodges that are just non-modern, or also in disrepair? I interpreted "have not seen a new coat of paint <in a long time>" in the OP to mean disrepair.
Personally I like very old lodges that are well maintained. The lodges at Mansfield and A-basin are two that stand out to me.

skiNEwhere

Personally I like very old lodges that are well maintained. The lodges at Mansfield and A-basin are two that stand out to me.

A-Basin just redid their lodge this year. Well at least the 6th Alley Bar, which for most of their clients is the only part that matters

BenedictGomez

I've never researched when Plattekill was built, but that place teleports you back to the 1950s or 1960s (I'm assuming or course, given I wasnt born). It's not just the lodge, it's the fact that you practically park on top of the ski lifts.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Of the one's mentioned, I like Suicide Six, MRG, and Arapahoe Basin for old lodges that are quite well kept and nice, rather than tired.
I hate to say it, but there are more time warp lodges than not:razz:
Did anyone mention Hunter Mtn yet?
Old school Hall of Fame inside the huge Hunter base lodge:
attachment.php

Bathrooms are still from the 60's! Yet to be updated except for the hand dryers...

Brad J

Gunstock, Older lodge at Cannon, Old lodge at Wildcat next to old Gondola

thetrailboss

Staff member
Gunstock, Older lodge at Cannon, Old lodge at Wildcat next to old Gondola

Gunstock is the real deal. Love the stone. I never liked the Cannon lodge on Peabody side. I know it's changed a lot for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Surprised no one has mentioned Pat's Peak base lodge. That might be my favorite base lodge in all of New England.

WoodCore

Spruce Lodge at Sunapee
Mohawk Mountain CT
Mount Southington CT
Madonna @ Smuggs