• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Maple Smoked Turkey

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Ok, here's the turkey I did tonight. In a nutshell, amazing.

Moist, tender and full of maple smoke flavor. Enjoy!!

I rubbed the bird with Jake's Grillin Poultry Rub http://www.jakesgrillin.com/
Orion-Turkey007.jpg

In the mighty Orion with maple chips
Orion-Turkey019.jpg

Things can only get better from here
Orion-Turkey003.jpg

95 minutes later
Orion-Turkey014.jpg

Orion-Turkey016.jpg

Finished product shots
Orion-Turkey024.jpg

Orion-Turkey020.jpg

Orion-Turkey018.jpg

Lessons learned: None. This came out exactly how I was expecting it to. The whole freakin house smells like maple turkey. I can't wait to make turkey salad out of this.

Now all I have to do is to convince my relatives to let me take care of the turkey for thanksgiving.

Later,
Root

Glenn

That's awesome. More details on your smoker? I've never really seen a set up like that. Almost looks like a cross between a smoker and a dutch oven.

Glenn

That's really cool. I've never seen that before.

Speaking of holidays.....I did a smoked turkey breast last year at Christmas. My wife still cooked the oven turkey, but the smoked one was a really nice addition. And a rather big hit too. I don't know why people are always apprehensive about smoked dinners...but they're always damn good.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I hear ya. The convection factor really cuts down on the cook time as well. This was a 12 pound turkey and it was done in 90 minutes.

I've done almost everything in here. Chicken, ribs, brisket, pork tenderloin, corned beef and now a turkey. Everything comes out perfect. I take the pics to upload over at the Orion forum. Those guys are suckers for pics of smoked meats.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just having fun with my favorite cooking gadget (one that actually does what it says, and perfectly at that.)

I got mine at Home Depot where invenatory might be limited now but at the end of the summer, they were $99. I heard buy.com has them for the same price. Let me know if you pick one up

Glenn

I hear ya. The convection factor really cuts down on the cook time as well. This was a 12 pound turkey and it was done in 90 minutes.

I've done almost everything in here. Chicken, ribs, brisket, pork tenderloin, corned beef and now a turkey. Everything comes out perfect. I take the pics to upload over at the Orion forum. Those guys are suckers for pics of smoked meats.

Holy crap! :-o That would take 4+ hours on my electric smoker.

Here's mine:
brinkmann_gourmet_electric_smoker_grill_reviews_324189_300.jpg

I haven't used it in months. I know it sounds odd, but I do most of my smoking in the fall and winter.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Holy crap! :-o That would take 4+ hours on my electric smoker.

Here's mine:
brinkmann_gourmet_electric_smoker_grill_reviews_324189_300.jpg

I haven't used it in months. I know it sounds odd, but I do most of my smoking in the fall and winter.

The convection process speeds things up a bit. Not a true low-n-slow smoker, which is fine with me, because my time is precious. Taste is nearly identical. I'd even say in a blind taste test you couldn't tell the difference.

I can't wait to fire up some ribs after a day on the slopes. :spread:

drjeff

Man, why do I keep looking at these smoker TR's after 11PM! Now I've got the munchies bigtime, and it will be either deal with it, or I'll get to brush my choppers for a 2nd time tonight ;) :rolleyes: ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Sorry drjeff. Hopefully you didn't click on all the links I put up for OldSnowboarder.

It was damn good though. You're safe until next weekend ;)

drjeff

Sorry drjeff. Hopefully you didn't click on all the links I put up for OldSnowboarder.

It was damn good though. You're safe until next weekend ;)

I'll see what I'll throw together for next weekend myself. I have beverage duty for Monday nights Pats game, which means that for next Sunday's game I'll be cooking :)

Glenn

I may have to do a beer can chicken next weekend after reading this thread.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I did a "beer" chicken in the Orion once. Beer in the drip pan, salt and pepper on the bird with mesquite chips. I didn't take any pics of that one though. It has a really nice bird stand so you don't need the can.

drjeff

I did a "beer" chicken in the Orion once. Beer in the drip pan, salt and pepper on the bird with mesquite chips. I didn't take any pics of that one though. It has a really nice bird stand so you don't need the can.

Arghhhh! Why do I keep coming back and reading this thread late night :rolleyes: ;)