• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Mesquite & Beer Smoked Chicken

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Hey everyone,

Here's the details on my Orion Cook tonight. DrJeff - please don't go any further if your first looking at this after 11pm. If you do, I'm not responsible for any late night snacking you might encounter. Sorry dude

Meat: Yardbird (chicken)
Weight: Just over 7 lbs
Rub: Jakes Grillin Poultry
Wood Chips: Mesquite
Liquid in drip pan: Michelob Ultra
Liquid in Root: Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat

Prep: Pretty standard stuff here, removed giblets, washed inside and out. I patted down the whole bird with my Jakes Grillin rub, and poured some on the inside. I let the bird sit on the counter while I got the Orion ready to go and did a few other errands...about an hour.

I poured almost a full Michelob Ultra into the drip pan which was lined with heavy duty foil and lit it up. After an hour, I added two sweet potatoes on the top rack.

Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

Results: Chicken was amazing. I tried to cut the drumstick off and the whole damn bone just slid out. Wings had the strongest smoke flavor. Everything was so moist and would just fall apart and melt in the mouth. Sweet potatoes weren't fully cooked though. Who know that you are susposed to poke holes in them? I finished them in the microwave. They didn't pickup any smoke flavor. Next time, I'll put them in at the start of the cook.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Rub
62ce0597.jpg

d226fdca.jpg

In the Orion
84b8d08e.jpg

Fired Up!
34c80350.jpg

Done!
358768a5.jpg

Hmmmm!
9a835491.jpg

a0887a3e.jpg

3f1b6c81.jpg

8f759ed3.jpg

Nothing left (I'm going to make some smoked chicken salad with the leftovers)
cb491d18.jpg

Moe Ghoul

Dang, Root, you post some mighty fine cooking TR's. A tip for the potatoes, if you have skewers, stick the potatoes on the skewer lengthwise and it'll cook off from the inside as well.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Dang, Root, you post some mighty fine cooking TR's. A tip for the potatoes, if you have skewers, stick the potatoes on the skewer lengthwise and it'll cook off from the inside as well.
I did some baked potatoes a few cooks ago and they came out well. Hey, that's part of the fun in experimenting with this thing. I'm going to do the sweet potatoes again and I'll give that a try! Thanks

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Off to the kitchen now for a snack :)

Mighty fine looking bird their Root :)
you should know better by now.

I was really hoping to do a pork butt or shoulder, but the supermarket was out by the time I got there...

My brother is coming up next weekend, so I might not be able to smoke anything, unless I give him his xmas gift early.

drjeff

you should know better by now.

I was really hoping to do a pork butt or shoulder, but the supermarket was out by the time I got there...

My brother is coming up next weekend, so I might not be able to smoke anything, unless I give him his xmas gift early.

That's OK Root, I was contemplating a post workout snack anyway before looking at the thread. ;)

Glenn

Wow! nice work! I'm still amazed that you can cook a 7lb-er in under 2 hours. That's just amazing!