• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Smoked Corned Beef

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Meat: Corned Beef Brisket
Weight: 5.25 pounds
Rub: kosher and sea salts, dried onion, red pepper flakes, red bell pepper flakes, garlic powder, cracked black pepper chipolte chile pepper & parsley flakes.
Wood Chips: Sassafras
Liquid in drip pan: Heineken Dark
Liquid in Root: Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat

Prep: Very basic stuff. Put spices on meat. Pour beer in drip pan.

Cook time:Two hours.

Results: Not as smokey as my last corned beef but delicious as hell. This is the first time I've used Sassafras and it has a very mild flavor that works very well with corned beef. I would say it's more mild than apple. I Very tasty overall though and moist as could be. Overall I think the cherry or mesquite was more of a powerful flavor. Next chicken I do I'll use the sassafras again.

Here's some pictures
CB01.jpg

CB02.jpg

CB03.jpg

CB04.jpg

I took the day off from work today to go skiing(in the rain). I had an amazing time. When I take a day off, man I really indulge in my passions.

Last edited:

WoodCore

Looks great Root!! Where did find the sassafras wood?

WoodCore

Redners. http://www.rednersmarkets.com/ I should stop by on my way home from Blue to see if they got the Peach back in stock.

I just went back for another slice...what an awesome day. I need to have more double TR days this season. :daffy:

Cool, thanks for the link!

On a side note: made a killer soup today from the remnants of Saturday's Orion chicken that received rave reviews from my folks and the workers at their new house. Amazing how many meals you can get out a single Orion cook!

Glenn

That looks good Root! I've never thought of using those chips before. Good tip.

drjeff

I think there might be an Orion snowstorm TR coming from me tonight. Just gotta see if there's anything more than a can of spam and a box of ramen noodles in the grocery store on the way home later today ;)