• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Smoked Brisket on the Orion

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
As requested here's a TR of tonight's dinner. I picked up a 7lb brisket at BJ's yesterday for around $23. This will be enough food for lunch every day this week as well as a few dinner leftovers. After reading some of the posts at Orionoutdoors.com, I also decided I was going to add potatoes to my smoker tonight since it works more like an oven. I took the pictures tonight because it's a frequent topic of discussion over there for newcomers. If you are interested in the full post here's a link: http://orionoutdoors.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?id=828

I used a brine mix of 75% apple cider vinegar / 25% apple juice
HPIM0349.jpg

Coated the brisket with yellow mustard
HPIM0351.jpg

Then I applied my rub
HPIM0353.jpg

I cut the brisket in half. One on the bottom rack, the other in the middle. There's mesquite chips around the base of the drip pan also.
HPIM0360.jpg

After two hours, I added 4 potatoes to the top rack. I could smell this cook from about 100 yards away!
HPIM0371.jpg

HPIM0373.jpg

Done!
HPIM0374.jpg

HPIM0382.jpg

After letting the brisket rest for 1/2 hours I sliced it up.
HPIM0384.jpg

I can't begin to explain how good dinner tonight was. The potatoes had picked up just a hint of the mesquite flavor but was in no way overwhelming. The brisket was juicy, tender and moist. I thought the mesquite would have had a stronger flavor, I'll have to try a hickory brisket next time.

snoseek

Well done. Food always taste so good with when you make a project out of it-TLC. I love and crave good brisket.

Grassi21

Great smoker stoke! Brisket is on my list of large cuts of meat to throw on the smoker.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I personally don't liked boiled meats, except for corned beef (brisket), which is on my list of things to cook in the smoker.