• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trail Etiquette

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I know there have been other threads with the same or similar titles, but I just have to write this after reading the lift etiquette thread. Yesterday at Loon my girlfriend and I were having a pretty enjoyable day, started on south peak, moved over to north, down to the kanc quad, etc, etc. Normally we go to Cannon on Sunday but decided on Loon because of more terrain. Have to say the surface conditions were holding quite well considering the volume of traffic!

However, ice does happen especially high traffic trails. We know that, we in NE all know that can happen! What do you do? Find the shaved snow and ski the sides of the trail! Going down Upper Speakeasy, halfway down the middle of the trail was bullet proof. The sides were alright with snow shavings if you will. She's ahead on skier's left and I'm on the right side. 2/3 of the way down a skier and rider are going down on the left as well, and catch up to her. They don't want to be on the ice, can't blame them, but they are practically on the tails of her skis. Why these two had to be side by side in the 4' snow path is beyond me, and, it's not like my girlfriend and I ski slow! They tailed her for a few seconds and knowing there was somebody behind her (at about this time I was thinking hey guys just push her into the woods if you're in such a hurry!), she moved out of the way onto the ice and WHACK down she goes and the DBs just keep on downhill.

I wrote whack because she fell forward and that was the sound of her helmet hitting the ice. After helping her up, she was not totally with it. Another skier stopped and asked me if she was okay..... it had to look bad if you're going to stop and ask the person helping if the other is okay. I wanted her to go to first aid but she decided no. Our ski day ended soon after as she was not feeling well.

Long story short, went to the ER today and she has a concussion, whiplash, and possible displaced shoulder. She's feeling much better now.

Why am I pissed off? If the DBs just had some patience this would not have happened. I'm also pissed off because she actually moved so they could go by! Anyone on that trail could see the condition it was in, and it is your responsibility for the person below you. It was not in the condition to ride on someone, and you shouldn't put your own physical well being at danger for DBs. She won't do that again!

Sorry for the angry thread, but needed to share

legalskier

I hope she's feeling better soon. That was a very nasty fall. She was the one trying to defuse a dangerous situation created by others, and she's the one who suffered for it.

If the DBs just had some patience this would not have happened. I'm also pissed off because she actually moved so they could go by! Anyone on that trail could see the condition it was in, and it is your responsibility for the person below you. It was not in the condition to ride on someone, and you shouldn't put your own physical well being at danger for DBs. She won't do that again!

I hope she doesn't. I've never had this happen, though plenty of times I've heard that loud scraping snowboard sound somewhere behind me, which can be unnerving. If in her situation I wouldn't give ground. I'd gradually slow down, leaving them with the choice of either turning out onto the ice, or trying to squeeze by me on the edge. Either way I'm still the downhill skier maintaining my right of way. If they crash into me, they're at fault. Unfortunately your GF relinquished her right of way when she moved away toward the center of the trail. I wouldn't be surprised if these knuckleheads specialize in such aggressive, reckless tactics. Next time, I hope ski patrol sees them doing it. Did you report it to patrol?

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Thank you, she seems to be doing much better!

Yes, I hope patrol has a front row seat next time too!

I didn't report it because I wouldn't have been able to give a good description, other than a skier and a rider. Can't tell you hat or helmet, what color pants or jacket. Maybe I should have so the incident was on record, even with a vague description of the individuals.

Two runs later is when she was feeling sick and we stopped. As she told me today, riding up the lift (north peak), I was thinking, I'm going to throw up, should I throw up to the left on the nice stranger, or to the right on John.... Thankfully she didn't have to make that choice!

TropicTundR

You guys will be in my prayers, and hope there are no lasting effects from this.

Like I said in a earlier post, when the hill gets too crowded I like to lower my poles to my knees and flap them while singing "Bird is the word".

Smellytele

I do hope your girlfriend gets well soon.

Not really sure what they did that could be punishable by ski patrol. They didn't hit her or pass to closely. She panicked and gave ground that she didn't have to. Not sure what your definition is of close - where that is subjective. Not trying to be a jerk just not sure if what the did is all that wrong.

legalskier

Not really sure what they did that could be punishable by ski patrol. They didn't hit her or pass to closely. She panicked and gave ground that she didn't have to. Not sure what your definition is of close - where that is subjective. Not trying to be a jerk just not sure if what the did is all that wrong.

"...practically on the tails of her skis" sounds too close to me, especially given the other circumstances.

hammer

I was on that trail during our last visit to Loon...like how it is a little more narrow and interesting but the snow was all scraped off to the sides then as well. My short turns leave a bit (well, a lot) to be desired so I ended up using the entire trail but crossing the icy middle was a pain.

Hope your girlfriend is better soon, and hopefully the next time this happens she will slow down and/or stop and let the DBs take the icy part of the trail to get around her...

MommaBear

Sounds like a nasty fall - hope she is on the mend. Have a snowboarder currently benched with a concussion; its not a pretty thing.

As for her moving over, here is my (female) perspective. Having someone tailing me too closely, on the slopes or on the roadway, is intimidating. Sure, I get angry. But I typically move over because I'm so distracted by what is going on behind me that I'm not fully focused on what is in front of me. And to me, being safe and letting them pass is more important than who had the right of way. I probably would have done the same thing as her because knowing if I stopped on the side, I'd probably get plowed over.

And yes, my husband hates it when I move over to let people pass - on skis or in the car. But that is his problem, not mine.

Geoff

If I hear that booming sound of a snowboarder in a death skid, I just stop and let them go by. Unless it's ants on a really crowded bumped up trail, the traffic moves in waves. Just wait for the gap.

just like driving in crowded conditions, i live by the mantra that you can only deal with what is in front of you...do your best to block out the DB behind you and keep your concentration forward

MadMadWorld

I would handle it the same way I handle an aggressive/road rage driver who is tailgating me and flashing his high beams. There is no shame in safely getting out of the situation (which she was obviously trying to do). I hope your wife has a swift recovery and karma gave that guy a swift kick in @ss. These are the kind of stories that remind me why I hate skiing mountains where there is very little respect for other skiers and the mountain. I love being a part of a community like the ones at Magic, MRG, and Smuggs where skiers of all ages (the kids are great!) are not only respectful of others but are willing to lend a hand whenever necessary.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Thank you for the kind words, her head feels even better now, but her neck and shoulder are still hurting a bit. Thankfully she will take tomorrow off from work, should've taken today off too... When recovering from a concussion I would not have wanted to teach music to junior high and high school students!

I do hope your girlfriend gets well soon.

I know you're not trying to be a jerk, but they were practically on her tails. If you could stop time and measure, the skier was about a foot behind her and the rider was next to him. On a few turns the rider was almost next to her on the ice side, and would then fall back. Given the fact that the strip of snow between the trees and ice was about 4' wide, this is not the place to try and squeeze three people moving at a pretty good clip. Total time from when they came up on her to the fall was maybe 20 or so seconds. She knew that the situation was getting worse and decided to get out of the way. Now, let's say she wasn't my girlfriend and just another skier in the same situation, I would've thought the same thing, 'Geez guys, why don't you just push her into the trees' They were going to muscle their way one way or another to get around her.

Punishable by patrol? I don't know, if they saw what I saw I am sure they would have said something. Maybe a reminder of the code, and the fact that it's busy, no need to run somebody over! There's nothing wrong with going fast, but not on that trail at that time!

Highway Star

I know you're not trying to be a jerk, but they were practically on her tails. If you could stop time and measure, the skier was about a foot behind her and the rider was next to him. On a few turns the rider was almost next to her on the ice side, and would then fall back. Given the fact that the strip of snow between the trees and ice was about 4' wide, this is not the place to try and squeeze three people moving at a pretty good clip. Total time from when they came up on her to the fall was maybe 20 or so seconds. She knew that the situation was getting worse and decided to get out of the way. Now, let's say she wasn't my girlfriend and just another skier in the same situation, I would've thought the same thing, 'Geez guys, why don't you just push her into the trees' They were going to muscle their way one way or another to get around her.

IMHO these time and distance estimates are a bit unrealistic.

Skiing the edge of a trail is dangerous, always leave yourself an out.

Sorry to hear about the injury.

Kerovick

First off let me say that I am very glad that she is recovering and sorry that she was injured.

Following closely to another snow sport enthusiast is rude and dangerous but If I was her I would have not tried to move out of there way on to the ice to let them by. Down hill skier has the right of way. If they want to brave the ice rink then let it be their asses that bite it not mine.

Just my 2 cents

:)

Last edited: