• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tug hill vs northern VT forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowlover

Funny thing is, they did groom between dumps, that's why the snow was only 4', not the 5 1/2' that fell over three days. If they hadn't groomed a strip on the edge of each trail, it would be unskiable. Snowboarders, especially light ones, were the trailblazers that day. See, snowboarders are good for something. :D
Get a wider with 100% rocker ski(camber even in the middle section defeats rocker) if you were having trouble. I don't agree at all that it's unskiable.

People were having a blast.
Again, forget all this core stuff that none of you do anyway in powder like you see hucking off cliffs and going down the fall line in pow at 70mph. I like having fun and coming back in one piece.
Heaven! :)
http://www.newschoolers.com/watch/694042.0/Snow-Ridge-Powder-Day?c=11&o=8&t=6

Some pics
Continuous pitch
snowridge.jpg

snowridge2.jpg
snowridge3.jpg
snowridge4.jpg

Snowlover

Does it have the pitch of alta or vetical? No, but it's without question the best snow on the ec.

Snowlover

Cornhead, have you ever actually skied that amount of powder on a steeper slope? Near 60 inches? A lot of times people just have trouble in powder whether in a wide ski OR narrow because of lack of skill set in that discipline. Then blame lack of pitch. Wide ski helps you maintain neutral stance so you don't have the quad buring backseat stance.

Again, you're not going to find that deep of powder at any other resort on the ec untracked with no wind on it. If vt gets 3 feet, it's getting hammered by winds due to a very strong low that's required to dump that amount. Also, a lot more skier's hitting it. And 3 feet is ONLY 36 inches. They've gotten 77 inches in 24 hours at montague. Not going to find that outside of the west coast

Cornhead, what type of ski's you rocking when you out int that? Please tell me big banana rocker with no camber or very low camber with 115+? And by little camber, I mean when you place the ski's together there's very little room in between. High rise camber defeats that rocker in tip/tail. New Rossi "powder" ski's have too much camber and not enough tail rocker! More of all mountain ski that is good in pow and great on groomers, but can't compare to a ski with less camber in pow. Some ski's have camber in the middle, but it's very low rise so that's a lot better than what rossi has come out with.

Wide underfoot ski floats like a snowboard. That's why you thought the snowboarders were so good!

Last edited:

Cornhead

I think I'd have needed a snowboard on each foot to float my fat ass that day, I wasn't on carvers, Mantras 98mm underfoot, early rise. I was just grateful they stayed attached to my boots all day, woe to those that didn't, like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Snowlover

I think I'd have needed a snowboard on each foot to float my fat ass that day, I wasn't on carvers, Mantras 98mm underfoot, early rise. I was just grateful they stayed attached to my boots all day, woe to those that didn't, like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Terrible ski for deep pow like that. That ski is a stiff ski designed for groomers and light pow. It's not a floating machine. Forget the marketing talk. 98mm sink like a rock bro! That's not fat! They don't really float. They sink. Ask anyone who tackles deep pow. 115 minimum for haikkado. And those conditions that day are japan deep pow conditions. And the fact that the pitch is not steep makes a true fatty even more neccessary. I've skied both widths in pow. No comparison. Trust me. Get a true rockered ski. Your ski is a all mountain ski. Not a pow ski. You also want a SOFTER ski. Not a stiff ski so the rocker can do it's job! The ski flexes in the powder to float you. Look at a volkl "two" if you like volkl. 124 underfoot. Then you can actually slarve turns and slay the pow. Your tail is locked in that mantra. Forget all this b.s. in this thread and just listen to me bro. The volkl two is medium flex for a ski that size.

Have you skied 60+ inches on a steep slope before? Anyone trying first time to ski that deep of pow is going to have trouble/learning the first time obviously no matter the pitch

witch hobble

My take away from this thread:

I'm an ignorant, brainwashed lemming, but if I buy some new equipment and drive 3/4ths of the way to Cleveland or Toronto, I might achieve an orgasmic epiphany of gigantic proportions and return home with inchoate scorn for the marketing departments of various ski resorts.

snoseek

Yes, to flat for me too really enjoy myself with multiple feet of snow. Terrain trumps all.

Savemeasammy

Have you skied 60+ inches on a steep slope before? Anyone trying first time to ski that deep of pow is going to have trouble/learning the first time obviously no matter the pitch

Yes. Back in the day (college) at Alpine Meadows. 7.5 feet (reported) over 3 days. We skied Beaver and Estelle bowls - on old-school 198 "straight" GS skis. Yes - we had to lean back like crazy! Skiing powder when you can't "bounce" off the bottom is definitely more challenging. And this snow was the denser variety that you get in the sierra's - you don't really "sink" as much as you do in the real light stuff. (And these bowls had a moderate pitch - and we didn't stop - and luckily didn't crash, either!).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Snowlover

Yes. Back in the day (college) at Alpine Meadows. 7.5 feet (reported) over 3 days. We skied Beaver and Estelle bowls - on old-school 198 "straight" GS skis. Yes - we had to lean back like crazy! Skiing powder when you can't "bounce" off the bottom is definitely more challenging. And this snow was the denser variety that you get in the sierra's - you don't really "sink" as much as you do in the real light stuff. (And these bowls had a moderate pitch - and we didn't stop - and luckily didn't crash, either!).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
Cool! If you could ski those, you'd rip on modern stuff!
Like that guy in the 3rd pic! Look at how far back he's leaning. That's what I LOVE about fat ski's. No leaning back. It's amazing it took so long for ski technology to come up with that simple concept of the spatula. Oh another thing, lake effect snow is some of the driest snow on the planet. 30 to 1 ratio's are not unheard of. Very fluffy. Here's focecast starting tonight. Lake effect machine is on AGAIN. Unfortunately, snow ridge is not in the bullseye. 18 inches tonight near fulton.(and that's on top of what already fell) Probably about 6-10 inches more at the ridge. ..LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST
THIS EVENING...
...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 10 PM
EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...LEWIS COUNTY. HEAVIEST SNOW NEAR CARTHAGE THIS
EVENING. HEAVIEST SNOW EXPECTED ACROSS THE TUG HILL AND
SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE COUNTY THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* TIMING...ADVISORY THROUGH 10 PM THIS EVENING. WARNING FROM NOON
THURSDAY THROUGH LATE THURSDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...AROUND 2 INCHES ADDITIONAL THIS EVENING. 4 TO 6
INCHES THURSDAY...AND 4 TO 6 INCHES THURSDAY EVENING...LEADING
TO STORM TOTALS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT SNOWS.
StormTotalSnowFcst.jpg

Snowlover

Drifts in the tree's my friend. Show me that on a wide trail. We are talking about 60 inches of snow at tug and more at times. Jay got about 3 feet AT MOST in that storm vs 60 inches. That hardly ever happens anyway.

Jay peak storm:
http://nyskiblog.com/forums/#nabble-td3779550

http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/V...ng-After40-Inch-Storm-In-February-5834581.htm
Funny how I couldn't find any amazing pics except for glades. Check the trails in that video. Doesn't look like 40 inches. Most trails look heavily tracked out and you can even see exposed parts of the trail due to wind exposure. They only show a real trail for a slit second.Jay peak claims 40 inches in 48 hours. So you're not skiiing 40 inches untracked on a trail. At snow ridge you can ski 40 inches untracke or more due to lake effect intensity.(and their closed monday/tuesday allowing pow to build up) You can get that amount from open to close before anyone can get at it.

No one says jay peak can't get big dumps. Hell 38 inches fell in central ct last year! It's all about how often. I'm sure someone could pull video from nemo from sundown. Sundown ended up with 2 feet, but gunbarrel was so wind driven it was ridiculous. The storm was ferocious to drop that amount of snow. 4 foot drifts....then ice/winddriven cement.

Last edited:

Snowlover

If you want to ski drifts in the woods, then you can get it. Wide open pow trails with wide sweeping turns in 60 inches untracked, I don't think so. Maybe once a decade if at all. lol You'd have to have 60 inches fall at jay peak with little to no wind from close until open. Yeah I'm not sure that's every happened. Tug hill has recorded 77 inches in 24 hours, which is a world record. Oh and then you have vt crowds as well tracking it out

Snowlover

Actual evidence that Vermont mountains actually have powder has no place in this thread. Clearly I need to move to central NY to ski real powder.

Show me that amount of powder with someone standing at the bottom of a LONG wide open trail at jay peak. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.