• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tug hill vs northern VT forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottySkis

One day i need to check iut Snow Ridge, because if Cornheads epic trio reports nit because if the person who hates east coast riding.

Snowlover

Go get it. The bashing is more about the messenger and his overall troll...I'd take a foot on just about anything.
HAHAHA LMAO....You just made my point
All you guys were bashing snow ridge calling it a mole hill and then BOOM, cornhead says he's heading their and suddenly...it's "go get it"
YOU guys are so BIASED it's ridiculous. Just be honest you don't like ME.....It's not that I'm wrong. You just don't like me.(I don't like 99% of the people on here anyway. A bunch of jerks who cant' handle someone with a different opinion without attacking them) That and you can't take the facts that northern vt exaggerates! Period. You like the idea that a east coast ski area with 2000 vertical gets nearly 400 inches even if it's not true. Northern VT is like santa claus. It's fun to believe in, but it's a fantasy.

Well boo hoo!

Snowlover

. Not their fault that they have a bad PR rep
It's funny you should mention PR/Marketing.
Snow ridge tells the TRUTH about their average snowfall, unlike northern vt area's. I wonder how many people would bypass going to snow ridge who enjoy good snow over vertical because these ski area's have lied and said they get way more snow than the tug hill. Just think about some of the people in this thread that truly believe jay's 375 is real and tug hill gets 250. They'd plan trips to VT over tug hill, EVEN if they prefered good snow over vertical. Me personally? Give me 500 feet vertical with good powder/packed powder over 3000 feet of ice crap. Any day of the week. The choice should be left up to the consumer which they prefer. Most people have this ridiculous idea that central to northern VT get more snow than tug hill.

Snowlover

Oh and for anyone who hasn't skied snow ridge, it basically skis similar to mohawk, about the same vertical/acreage except add feet and feet of snow! :) It has a constant pitch unlike some area's. Great little affordable hill.....Oh and 18 dollar lift tickets on weekdays. THE WAY SKIING SHOULD BE! NO CONDO'S NO B.S. JUST GREAT SNOW AND AFFORDABLE LIFT TICKETS. Snow ridge is the bomb! I wish mt snow and snow ridge would switch geographic positions so I could actually make day drips there instead of only once or twice a year. Hell, even with 50 dollar hotel, snow ridge is still cheaper than just a lift ticket mt snow! LOL

Snowlover

Kind of funny how snow ridge can get by with 18 dollar lift tickets and make a healthy profit with way less crowds than elsewhere, yet you fools believe those resorts charging outrageous lift prices have to. It's GREED!(and the fact that they service the upper class with all the b.s. that comes with that). Screw that crap.

Snowlover

^ That didn't answer my question.
Some people I have on ignore. You I don't yet. I could easily lie, but I'll tell the truth. I've never skied jay or stowe. Too far of a drive/too expensive for nothing special snow wise especially since I don't even tree ski. I know this play. If I say no....than you'll say well how do you know anything? Well of course that's like saying I can't tell what the temperatures are if I'm not standing outside. There's something called a thermometer. As I've stated a thousand times. Just follow the radar/nws reports/forecasts for an entire year.(radar picks up on microclimates..."jay cloud") Check climate data from official stations. And anyway, you'd have to work at the mountain/ski the mountain 7 days a week to really see first hand anyway. Then you'd have to live on the tug hill for a few years for compairson purposes as well since it's all relative. Visiting is irrelevant for finding snowfall averages. You could visit a ct mountain and get 2 feet of untracked. THat's called luck

gmcunni

why do you care what others do / think? ski the places you like, don't worry so much about the rest of us.

dlague

Tug hill forecast-North florence, ny
Tonight Snow, mainly after 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -10. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Wednesday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 11. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 9 inches possible.
Wednesday Night Snow showers, mainly before 9pm. Low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -20. West wind around 11 mph becoming south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Thursday Snow showers likely, mainly after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 14. Wind chill values as low as -20. South wind around 16 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Thursday Night Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around -3. West wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Snow showers likely, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 4. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday Night A chance of snow showers before 9pm, then a chance for flurries before ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Northern vt, 3300 feet
Basically just flurries for a week out.

Tonight A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around -2. Wind chill values as low as -26. Windy, with a west wind 20 to 26 mph. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Wednesday Snow showers likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 3. Wind chill values as low as -27. Windy, with a southwest wind 23 to 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -29. Windy, with a west wind 23 to 28 mph decreasing to 16 to 21 mph after midnight.
Thursday Snow showers likely, mainly between 1pm and 3pm. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 4. Wind chill values as low as -28. Breezy, with a southwest wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Thursday Night A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -8. Breezy, with a west wind 8 to 13 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 0. West wind around 16 mph.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -8. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming south after midnight.

Just follow it over a winter. Tug hill average snowfall from multiple stations = around 250 inches. Snow ridge is snowiest ski area in east. Really no comparison. Follow the weather for the truth. Also look at the winds in the forecast! 30mph sustained in Vermont. All the pow will be blown off on wind exposed trails obviously. The high peaks of northeast are notoriously wind exposed. Snow ridge, which is on the east side of the tug hill will have great wind protection from prevailing westerlies and obviously not as windy period as high peaks of the greens(4000 feet). Also, it seems as if it's almost always snowing up there on the tug. All you need is a west wind! Great packed powder conditions as well. No reason for snow guns up there! Ride the real stuff! :)

Oh and lake effect season is starting to come to end/greatly reduce due to how cold/frozen the lake is getting and lack of arctic air this time of year. If you had followed this all year, tug hill crushed northern vt high elevations when it came to frequency and snow total, which are both important.

Who really cares! Most here will Ski Jay , Stowe, Smuggs, etc before Snow Ridge no matter what the snow depth is. This post seems to be looking for a debate that ends badly!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
One thing with Lake effect snow is that it starts to tapper off in the late winter/early spring due to less cold air moving over the lakes. The Mtns of northern VT often continue to crank out decent snow amounts into early April. Hell last MAY 26th I was skiing 18"+ of fresh snow at Jay. And that 18" didn't even get included in their season total.

Snowlover

One thing with Lake effect snow is that it starts to tapper off in the late winter/early spring due to less cold air moving over the lakes. The Mtns of northern VT often continue to crank out decent snow amounts into early April. Hell last MAY 26th I was skiing 18"+ of fresh snow at Jay. And that 18" didn't even get included in their season total.
Yes it tapers off, but they still get nor'easters just like vt! There's also still lake enhancement going on in late march. Also, lake ontario doesn't freeze completely over so it's not a sudden stop like over every single other lake. Lake erie shuts down HARD once that lake freezes up. May 26th is a complete fluke and you know it. How wet was that cement anyway? lol

Snowlover

This post seems to be looking for a debate that ends badly!
What debate! I say my piece and people attack. It always ends badly since they can't prove me wrong. Hell last time, some guy came on here trying to prove me wrong and posted jay peaks nws climate station at the base level, which just added more evidence to my argument. The mod deleted all that unfortunately. It was quite amusing.

Snowlover

why do you care what others do / think? ski the places you like, don't worry so much about the rest of us.
I could careless about the people I'm arguing on here with. I just find it amusing how dumb and arrogant some of these people are and it's quite gratifying to see a bunch of dumb sheep keep contradicting themselves 20 on 1 and still can't make 2 +2 = 5 even though they really want to. I also find it annoying that the general population believes northern vt gets nearly 400 inches. I'm trying to pull the wool off their eyes.

It was quite easy to shut me up...."yeah jay exagerattes, tug hill gets more. More vertical at jay" Case closed, but not on the internet. It goes on for pages!!

legalskier

Tug hill average snowfall from multiple stations = around 250 inches. Snow ridge is snowiest ski area in east. Really no comparison.

I went on the Snow Ridge website to try & get some visual confirmation of your claim, but their cam is down. I tried over & over, but no luck. Which is odd, as today is one of the weekdays they aren't actually closed.
Here, you give it a try: http://www.snowridge.com/

You freely interchange 'Snow Ridge' and 'Tug Hill,' but Tug Hill is a huge area extending over four (4) counties: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_Hill
Are you claiming that your huge snow totals apply to the entirety of Tug Hill, or only Snow Ridge? If you're claiming the entire 4 county area, can you provide specific snow totals on specific dates throughout the ski season for all towns encompassed in the Tug Hill region?

Finally, if Snow Ridge does, in fact, receive such massive amounts of deep powder, doesn't the lack of pitch prevent you from actually skiing it? Wouldn't that require Snow Ridge to groom it out to make it skiable? Which, of course, defeats your original claim of Utah-like pow skiing in Tug Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.