• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Use of non-standard spellings! My opinion.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Is it me, or does the use of non-standard spelling of words drive anyone else crazy. I mean, I can understand if someone truly has a disability or poor spelling, but deliberately spelling words to look "cool" really bothers me.

You know what I mean...I mean words like: guyz, dayz, bekuz, aiight, jus, etc.

There may be a time an a place for it, but in my opinion(for what it's worth) that is not here. This is a "mature" community, not a teeny-bopper hang out. I enjoy your participation and am thrilled you have chosen to be here. You frequently have a lot of great stuff to share. To me, this language makes you less credible.

It's like the kids that wear their pant's half off their bodies to show their "FANCY" new boxers. It may be ok when they are home and just hanging around with their buddies in their yard. I don't think it is ok for them to walk down the streets, go to school or hang around the malls like this. I don't need to see their boxers and frankly, I think it is disrespectful to walk around with them hanging out like that...it's not cute. The same is true for the girls that wear the really skimpy tops and shorts that are shorter than short in public. I don't need to see this.

How you speak, write and dress says a lot about you. You don't want to give people the wrong opinion. Writing with non-conventional spellings to look cool is not cute and clever. It shows a lack of self-esteem and a poor self image. It calls attention to you in a negative way.

Ok, so now I have had my rant...again...this is just my opinion.

Joshua B

I think it's certainly an interesting rant, the way you tie in kewl spelling and slack dress.

Max

It makes you wonder how many of these words may eventually make it into the dictionary. I've been as guilty as anyone of doing minor "reconstructive surgery" to the King's English, mostly on web BBS's like this. Some words/phrases have become so commonplace that integration into the official language is perilously close. Words like "gonna", "wanna", "mebbe" and phrases like "I dunno" are creeping into the vocabulary.

If you axe me, I see no end to it! :lol:

tirolerpeter

Non-standard spelling

I don't care for it either Teachski, but it is in he nature of youth to: "Be Espressen Theyselfs" with their "own" lingo. Today's accepted slang terms were yesterdays "outlaw" language that adults railed against. In the long run, proper spelling and expression (not to mention more mature and less scandalous fashion trends) become valued by the young because they must ultimately function in the broader society. Most will realize that their insular social groups ("in crowd," posse, gang) is fun to "hang with," but does not serve them well when it comes to working and earning a "piece of the pie." I kind of treat it the way I treated the development of speech in my own young children. When they tried to form a new word I listened, decoded it, and then modeled it for them correctly. E.g., if they said: "Muk" I said: yes, "Milk" I didn't correct them I just modeled the proper form. Likewise, if I choose to respond to a posting I simply respond with (what I hope is) proper English. Hey, a person could make themselves crazy listening to "non-cool" people mis-using "who" and "whom" or (my pet peeve) mis-use of reflexive pronouns. I used to torture any education administrator who told me I could: "See Mr. Smith or MYSELF about a problem."

teachski

Website
teachski.com
It has become quite a problem in schools as this has entered their daily writing now. We do not allow it and it does have a negative effect on their grade if they use it. Most comply, but then there are a few that "don't care" and continue to use it. The grade means nothing to them. These are the same students that use it on the MCAS (or other state mandated tests) and then wonder why they did not pass or complain that the test is unfair.

I was asked to proof read a letter a student had written to a college admissions board last spring. It was filled with this "kwel"(as JoshuaB said) language. I told the student this needed to be changed and he was not very happy. His answer, "But that how I write now." I said, "If you want to get in to this college it isn't." He reluctantly changed it.

Charlie Schuessler

teachski said:
...I was asked to proof read a letter a student had written to a college admissions board last spring. It was filled with this "kwel"(as JoshuaB said) language. I told the student this needed to be changed and he was not very happy. His answer, "But that how I write now." I said, "If you want to get in to this college it isn't." He reluctantly changed it...

The result is HE DID CHANGE IT (because he understood the logic) and he will remember that lesson when you're not around... JOB WELL DONE TEACH! :wink:

highpeaksdrifter

teachski said:
It's like the kids that wear their pant's half off their bodies to show their "FANCY" new boxers. It may be ok when they are home and just hanging around with their buddies in their yard. I don't think it is ok for them to walk down the streets, go to school or hang around the malls like this. I don't need to see their boxers and frankly, I think it is disrespectful to walk around with them hanging out like that...it's not cute. The same is true for the girls that wear the really skimpy tops and shorts that are shorter than short in public. I don't need to see this.

Yeah, I'm glad no one dressed stupid, talked funny, or had unconventional hair styles when I was a kid. They grow out of it.

I think your rant is really a scolding to those of us who write boyz, ax, or whatever merely to fool around and have a little fun with our posts. I personally find it presumptuous of you because "You're not the boss of me".

I hope your ski season is groovy.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
since you are coming from the perspective of a teacher, i can understand your beef in relation to schools. kids gotta learn proper english (don't follow my example, heh!) especially good writing skills. that said, i use lots of purposeful typographical errors in my online messages such as rekkids, wikked, switching 'ers' to 'ahs' etc. etc. etc. an evolution of the language is constant, some alterations stick and some don't. a lot of weird gramatical spellings are actually insightful and/or ironic. i don't appreciate reading language completely in l33t speak or what not, but an occasional spelling quirk spices things up.

Jaytrek57

Teachski--

You have got to lighten up.

BTW, your spelling is OK, but you had at least 7 different grammatical errors, most notably the use of punctuation...but alas...glass houses and all that. :wink:

By the way..."I'm all that and a bag of chips." :wink: :wink:

Peace.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
RC, now your secret is out...I thought that you did it because you couldn't help it ;)

Actually, after grading 20 essays from my students today and seeing this "IM speak" in 90% of them, I got a little frustrated. I decided to take a break from grading so I thought I'd visit AZ. The very first post I saw when I signed on had days spelled dayz. I was already quite frustrated from reading our first major essay of the year and reading things such as, "b4 i movd here i lvd in wista. i hangd wit da boyz. we usta han at da pak." Granted, most of my students have writing and reading disabilities, so I do not expect perfect essays, but I do expect simple, common words (sight words) to be correct and I do not expect numbers to be used as words or word parts.

I come here as a release. It's ok to have some words thrown in from time to time like RC said, but when It's a constant thing...I don't know...it just irritates me.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out, sorry if I offended you.

By the way (BTW) I do use a little myself from time to time. I'm not saying don't use it at all...what I am saying is use it sparingly and pourposfully like RC said.

BTW- when a student says they are going to "ax" someone I ask them to wait until I am not around because axing someone could make a terrible mess.

awf170

lighten up....
There may be a time an a place for it, but in my opinion(for what it's worth) that is not here. This is a "mature" community, not a teeny-bopper hang out. I enjoy your participation and am thrilled you have chosen to be here. You frequently have a lot of great stuff to share. To me, this language makes you less credible.

huh, this sounds likes you are directly talking to me :-?(or am i just an idiot?)

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Jaytrek57 said:
Teachski--

You have got to lighten up.

BTW, your spelling is OK, but you had at least 7 different grammatical errors, most notably the use of punctuation...but alas...glass houses and all that. :wink:

By the way..."I'm all that and a bag of chips." :wink: :wink:

Peace.

Yes, I tend to get lazy with punctuation when I write on message boards. I do not proofread to make sure the punctuation and grammar are 100% all of the time. What I write is able to be read, however.

Math is my strength, but I am forced to teach one english class. I assure you, I am much more careful with grammar and punctuation in class.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
awf170 said:
lighten up....

huh, this sounds likes you are directly talking to me :-?(or am i just an idiot?)
No, actually. I find most of your posts to be written in a mature way (plus, we know that you really are a teen). It's the adults that try to be "kewl" that really bother me.

awf170

teachski said:
No, actually. I find most of your posts to be written in a mature way (plus, we know that you really are a teen).

aight cool, dats wat i though anywayz, jus makin sur :wink:

ctenidae

There's a difference between typos, intentional slang use, conversational English, and proper English. Each has its time and place.

There are some things that have neither a time nor a place. One of my biggest pet peeves is the apparent total abandonment of the past tense. Most of the news reports (more and more as time goes on, it seems) relate the facts in the present tense. This absolutely drives me nuts. I really can't stand it. IM speak is annoying, and those who don't grow out of it will suffer, as will those who can not express themselves in the language that is correct for a time (we'd all have trouble understanding Chaucer these days). Sucks for them. But dropping the past tense in favor of more dramatic present tense , particularly in the media, has got to stop.

How's that for a rant?

awf170

heres some awsome non-standard spelling, from some stupid lil jon song.

A ready! What yuh ice grillin mi for? (Dem a club badbwoy!)
Step to we yuh get destroyed (Dem a club badbwoy!)
Knock yuh out like we do Roy (Dem a club badbwoy!)
Dem a club bad who? Club badbwoy!
Lil Jon run di city (That's what's up!)
Disappear when yuh see we (That's what's up!)
Jamaicans nah nuh pity (That's what's who!)
That's what's up! (A weddy!!!!)
We nuh care who yuh pray to could a holla could a Buddha
When mi shotta come try stand up like Luda
See if yuh nuh get end up out di ruga (RAH!!!!)
Push di nozzle in yuh mouth mek yuh suck on it like a soda
Yuh coulda, bawl fi yuh muma well if a Aruba
Jon squeeze di ruga try stop it wid yuh ooba cahooba
Shot inna di ATL mek him head land ova Cuba
Lil Jon mad, nah nuh head, why yuh spreadin ruma?
Yuh story dem nuh logic cau yuh only a assuma
(Kill yuh gooba) Yuh nuh hear seh dat we get we gun diploma
Shot will mek yuh big head fly wey like witch deh pon a brooma
Sound from mi gun buss and a give yuh brain tooma
Fire from di nozzle just a bun yuh like a fooma
Stack who nuh site yuh dead and dog a draw wey yuh Puma
Fiber glass glock dat a mek out a Aluma
Get mi cross Likkle Jon, yeah!
Gangstas get busy throw it up and rep yuh city city
Elephant and Eastside Boyz up in the plizzy plizzy
Likkle Jon mek dem dance and keepinn it jiggy jiggy
Hennessy and Crunk Juice mek dem head dizzy dizzy

I really dont think i understood one thing there :lol:

BeanoNYC

If one of my students handed in an essay or paper with that crap on it, they would get a big phat (couldn't resist) "F" from me. That being said, I don't mind seeing it on forums or emails to me.