• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah No Ski Report

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Weather: Whiteout
Conditions: Never made it so I don't know.

Report: Wasn't sure where to place this one. It is a ski trip report, except we never made it to the slopes. This morning Vee and I woke up, I ask how she's doing, she states her whole body is aching from the last few days of skiing. On top of that, snow reports from the different Cottonwood Canyon resorts are stating that heavy snow will be falling and that there is a possibility of the Canyon roads being closed by mid afternoon and not opening again until tomorrow. I just got my new skis mounted this morning and I'm dying to try them out, what should we do?

Well, in the end we decise to go to Brighton and just do a half a day of skiing, that's 9-12:30. Figured we could get some turns in, not kill ourselves and get on the road before they close it. We start out about 7:30 AM, get to the Canyon entrance, no problem, black top and just traces of snow. We start driving up the Canyon and the snow starts to come down harder and harder as we get to higher elevations. Conditions start turning to whiteout and it was starting to get difficult to see the road. We decide to turn back so as not to get stuck on the mountains overnight, this would not be a bad thing if V wasn't in pain from the last few days, but she was, I'm not much better. Well trying to turn around on this mountain road wasn't easy, you can't tell where, there's a shoulder and where there's a ditch, finally we turned around. When we got back down to the canyon entrance, everything that had been blacktop earlier was now white. Anyway, no biggie, got a lot of things done.

Purchased some nice adjustable Leki poles for V and myself on sale at Sports Authority 29.97 marked down from 100! We'll give our legs a chance to get better and enjoy all the pow tomorrow. It's interesting to see how quick things can change in the mountains here. One thing to keep in mind, this is a mountain road that in spots has a steep drop and no guard rails, here's some pics:

normal_P2270001.JPG

normal_P2270007.JPG

normal_P2270009.JPG

normal_P2270010.JPG

normal_P2270012.JPG

ajl50

....leaving it at that.

Your TR's are driving me nuts. I'm going to be there in 10 days and am drooling.

BeanoNYC

I'd be happy to, but I think we got the last two pair. I was lucky to find the second ones for my wife.

Rich, where's the avatar pic from?

Mount Snow: Overbrook.... My favorite trail on the mountain. Too bad you got the last ones...do they have the nifty leki straps on em? Maybe I'll try my luck at the Sports Authority around here. Should be up by K on the 10th with our buddy Colin!

tirolerpeter

Tomorrow!

Think about how great it will be tomorrow! Nobody is feeling sorry for you Andy. When I go out there for five days, I take the third day off. Makes for better skiing on days 4 and 5. Locals will ski multiple days, but they often don't get on the mountain until later in the day, and/or knock off early. Not to mention, taking leisurly lunches. Vacation trippers try to Max Out their skiing due to limited time, and often end up exhausted.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Mount Snow: Overbrook.... My favorite trail on the mountain. Too bad you got the last ones...do they have the nifty leki straps on em? Maybe I'll try my luck at the Sports Authority around here. Should be up by K on the 10th with our buddy Colin!

No, they don't have the nifty straps, but that's ok. Those straps are cool, but I have has some problems with them, worrying about loosing them, the clip freezing up. So, I don't mind the normal straps and I do like being able to adjust the length. The 10th huh, let me know for sure, if you go, I'll go. Otherwise I was thinking of hitting Stowe or Sugarbush.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Think about how great it will be tomorrow! Nobody is feeling sorry for you Andy. When I go out there for five days, I take the third day off. Makes for better skiing on days 4 and 5. Locals will ski multiple days, but they often don't get on the mountain until later in the day, and/or knock off early. Not to mention, taking leisurly lunches. Vacation trippers try to Max Out their skiing due to limited time, and often end up exhausted.

Peter, believe me, I feel exactly what you're saying. Tomorrow should be another great one and will be all rested, I'll have my new skis, things are good.

On another note, I normally ask my wife where she want to go and she doesn't really care, she leaves it up to me. Well, we're here enough of days so that we can hit the same resorts a couple of times. I asked her what she would like to repeat. Her response with no thought or hesitation, cat skiing at Powder. She says that's the best snow she's experience while we've been here!

bigbog

...???

andy,
You're close to the Cottonwood Canyons...and you're discussing Killington, Mt. Snow, and....XXXX... :rolleyes:, a beautiful, terrific TR, but man you've got skis...now get yourself a beacon, pack, shovel...& go do some skiing! ;-)
BTW, we're looking forward to ~5" over the next 24hrs!!!! :lol:

Steve

RISkier

Nice that UT has finally gotten the good snow. One thought is that if you're worried about the roads up to the Cottonwood Canyons and you want to ski, you might consider one of the PC areas. The road to Park City is basically 4 lane all the way and much less prone to closure.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nice that UT has finally gotten the good snow. One thought is that if you're worried about the roads up to the Cottonwood Canyons and you want to ski, you might consider one of the PC areas. The road to Park City is basically 4 lane all the way and much less prone to closure.

After we came back down from the mountain, we took a ride to Backcountry.com in SLC and I asked them what the roads to PC are like. They pretty much told me the same thing you did and I started heading in that direction. But, I could tell my wife wasn't into it, keep in mind we got some really good skiing in the last four days, figured the rest wouldn't hurt us. And as Peter pointed out, we'll be good and fresh for tomorrow's powder.