• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail 2/26/08

downhill04

Date(s) Skied: 2/26/2008

Resort or Ski Area: Vail

Conditions: Champaign POWDER

Trip Report: Day 2 of the Colorado ski trip. Woke up to ANOTHER 12” of fresh Colorado champaign powder!!!! :snow::snow::snow:This was the best day of the trip. Heck this was my best day on skis ever!! Blue sky basin was waist deep in many locations. I was hucking cornices, cliffs and anything else I could find. Landing in that amount of snow was unbelievable!!!

Oh and I forgot to mention there was no such thing as lift lines. I kept making run after run in untracked pow.:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Sorry only one pic.
Vail_day_1.jpg

Last edited:

2knees

nice, obviously the back is feeling better.

how bout some helmet cam footy :smile:

downhill04

nice, obviously the back is feeling better.

how bout some helmet cam footy :smile:

Actually I was skiing against doctor’s orders. I ruptured a disk in my lower back the day we skied together. My Dr. told me I wasn’t allowed to ski but he gave me pain killers just in case I couldn’t resist the urge. I couldn’t resist :grin:

I have to get a cortisone injection in my spine next week. If that doesn’t help I have to have the dreaded back surgery to remove the disk :cry:

2knees

damn bro, that sucks. at least you got in this trip though.

God forbid you have to have the disc removed, what is the long term prospect for your skiing career?

downhill04

damn bro, that sucks. at least you got in this trip though.

God forbid you have to have the disc removed, what is the long term prospect for your skiing career?

That is still up in the air. Basically what happened is the disk I ruptured (very last disk in the lower spine) is pushed out towards the back of my spine. The sciatic nerve that runs down my left leg is being pinched against the spine by this disk. When I stretch my leg too far this nerve is being dragged across the bone, causing me a good deal of pain. The cortisone injection will hopefully alleviate some of the pressure this disk is putting on the nerve and allow things to heal.

The neuro-surgeon I am seeing told me this week that I can still ski but need to be very cautious. He told me groomers are fine but to use extreme caution and judgment before skiing bumps and jumps. I guess I need to learn how to ski “easier” for the immediate future :grin:

I will probably shut things down for the rest of this season and see how I fell in the fall.

Nice pictures..serious Colorado Stoke!!!..One of my PA ski buddies flew out there yesterday and another is going on th 17th