• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail/Park City Permanently Close Dutch Draw Gate

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've literally just begun my apartment search the past couple days and have found numerous places sub $1,100 rent studio/1 bedroom. On the bus route in Sandy/Midvale and even a couple in Cottonwood Heights. I find it surprising given we're 2-3 months from ski season and I'm sure I'm not alone in looking for apartments in these locations.

I have a question, does the market cool off after the Christmas holidays, once all the resort workers are settled? Right now my emergency back-up plan is staying in an extended stay, running me $1800 a month. I couldn't do it sustained month-month but I can see myself doing it if the market does in fact cool down after the influx of seasonal workers is over. Maybe I'm overthinking it... but my micro-econ brain is telling me thousands upon thousands of seasonal workers flooding the area would raise rates in the fall and then drop in December for whatever inventory is remaining.
What seasonal workers? With J-1 visas being shut off, a lot of foreign workers ain't coming.

For the PC areas, most would try to be in Heber. For the SLC areas, there are a lot of locals that are already here and work year round.

I would not say that there is any sort of seasonal rush. We're just really short on housing at a time when there is a lot of demand for other reasons.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What seasonal workers? With J-1 visas being shut off, a lot of foreign workers ain't coming.

For the PC areas, most would try to be in Heber. For the SLC areas, there are a lot of locals that are already here and work year round.

I would not say that there is any sort of seasonal rush. We're just really short on housing at a time when there is a lot of demand for other reasons.

By seasonal workers I mean US citizens coming to the mountains to work for the winter.... apparently in talking to several resorts its a big phenomenon out there? The classic 20-something yo that's a white water rafting guide in Arizona for the summer and a lift op at Snowbird in the winter.

I just wasn't sure if it were enough to move the needle on housing, sounds like that's not the case.

thetrailboss

Staff member
By seasonal workers I mean US citizens coming to the mountains to work for the winter.... apparently in talking to several resorts its a big phenomenon out there? The classic 20-something yo that's a white water rafting guide in Arizona for the summer and a lift op at Snowbird in the winter.

I just wasn't sure if it were enough to move the needle on housing, sounds like that's not the case.
Maybe (?)

I'd think that the U students would have a bigger impact on the rental market.

BenedictGomez

I've literally just begun my apartment search the past couple days and have found numerous places sub $1,100 rent studio/1 bedroom. On the bus route in Sandy/Midvale and even a couple in Cottonwood Heights.

When you go to visit & apartment hunt, have you thought of instead of staying in a hotel for a week staying in 4 or 5 different AirBNB's & making connections? That area (Sandy, Cottonwood Heights) is littered with AirBNB places, lots of them are seriously nice apartments in homes with separate entrances, pool tables, hot tub access etc.. Way better than an apartment complex in SLC.

Once you stay at an AirBNB you have the owner's contact info, show them you're clean-cut & not a degenerate and mention you love their place & wonder if they'd be interested in doing something for the season, "off" AirBNB? I'd jump at that were I the owner. They get cost certainly, no dealing with numerous vagrants, no egregious AirBNB fees, less frequent hassles, etc...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
When you go to visit & apartment hunt, have you thought of instead of staying in a hotel for a week staying in 4 or 5 different AirBNB's & making connections? That area (Sandy, Cottonwood Heights) is littered with AirBNB places, lots of them are seriously nice apartments in homes with separate entrances, pool tables, hot tub access etc.. Way better than an apartment complex in SLC.

Once you stay at an AirBNB you have the owner's contact info, show them you're clean-cut & not a degenerate and mention you love their place & wonder if they'd be interested in doing something for the season, "off" AirBNB? I'd jump at that were I the owner. They get cost certainly, no dealing with numerous vagrants, no egregious AirBNB fees, less frequent hassles, etc...

That probably will not be viable....my car is actually junk at the moment (tranny went super early, 110k miles and it's a Toyota...shoulda bought a lotto ticket as that's a 1 in a 10,000 stroke of bad luck). Bc of parts shortages and the hot used car/part market it made more sense to sell it than to put thousands of $$$ in for a rebuild and/or new transmission and have to wait literal months. So I'm actually going to Penske to rent a box truck and use that for my move. Ideally I'd like to have a place lined up before I get out there...sketch, I know, but that's really my only good option. Alternatively I unload my crap into a storage unit in UT, and live in an extended stay or an AirBnB for a month while I scout out apartments the "traditional" way on the ground. But then I have to rent a uhaul again to get my crap into the new apartment. I wouldn't mind doing this once or twice trying different places short-term as you suggest, but I'm going to be limited in my movement. The way I see it with the ski bus system in my mind I won't *need* a car. I understand the bus is kinda a crapshoot on powder days but there's employee ride shares that line up early on those days (from my understanding). So now I'm also super limited in my options of where I can stay (gotta be near the bus). I can buy a car out there if/when I have to... I do have the money, but I'd rather make it work without the car if I can by any means necessary.

abc

I have a question, does the market cool off after the Christmas holidays, once all the resort workers are settled?
But doesn't the apartments that are rented during this "rush" will be off the market till spring time? So why would the rental market "cool off" between now and then?