• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts Sells 650,000 Epic Passes

KustyTheKlown

Just remember all those passes =
I skied Vail a couple of years ago and one of those days, they set a record for skier visits. The news was reporting over 50,000 people
View attachment 21232
View attachment 21233

yep. this. so glad i'm off the epic and on to the max pass. even if the max pass had no eastern options, it would be a better bet than the epic pass. so much less crowded at max and mc destinations.

Razor

I will miss the ASC pass for the rest of my life. I kept a spreadsheet keeping track of the cost per day and was down to around $12 a couple of years. Because my tickets were so cheap I traveled and stayed at the ASC resorts Friday and Saturday night every other weekend or so. With the ASC pass I could stay at the Snow Cap Inn at Sunday River for like $130 a weekend. Used to go to Killington for 4 or 5 weekends and Sugarloaf once a year. North Conway to hit Attitash. When ever there was a storm I'd go where the most snow was forecast. Man I miss those days.

I hear you,man. As owners at the Summit at Sunday River, we were able to stay at the hotels at the other resorts for around $30/night. Best trip ever was to Canyons, but we hit up every one of the others often for a couple of years.

dlague

yep. this. so glad i'm off the epic and on to the max pass. even if the max pass had no eastern options, it would be a better bet than the epic pass. so much less crowded at max and mc destinations.
I think these lines can easily be avoided now with Epic Mix that report lift line wait times.

From my perspective the Epic Pass provides the biggest bang for the buck. The closest resorts to me are Breck, Keystone, and A Basin that are on the pass and they are not limited to the number of days. Vail and Beaver are limited but we will never hit the limit there. Then we have three destinations - Utah with Park City, Tahoe with Kirkwood, Heavenly and Northstar and lastly Whistler/Black comb. All for $609.

So for me Max Pass Colorado resorts are available with the Rocky Mountain Pass if so inclined. Not planning an Eastern Ski Vacation any time soon so I will stick with Epic and yup I will be owned by Vail. But we generally bring food and adult bevs, have our own gear, more than likely not stay at their resort and will use limited amounts of their services. Not their ideal passholder.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiFanE

I will miss the ASC pass for the rest of my life. I kept a spreadsheet keeping track of the cost per day and was down to around $12 a couple of years. Because my tickets were so cheap I traveled and stayed at the ASC resorts Friday and Saturday night every other weekend or so. With the ASC pass I could stay at the Snow Cap Inn at Sunday River for like $130 a weekend. Used to go to Killington for 4 or 5 weekends and Sugarloaf once a year. North Conway to hit Attitash. When ever there was a storm I'd go where the most snow was forecast. Man I miss those days.
We bought a place at SR during ASC years - stunned at prices and how affordable for a family to ski. But just figured out my day price isn't much more than yours, and given inflation even closer. At $999 year I get 50-60 days in. Just under $20/day. Not as much variety but I never get anywhere else now anyway. The added Max pass (was it $349?) makes it pretty good deal. Not ASC type deal - but that was not sustainable - even if it sucked us into buying a place lmao.

4aprice

that's pretty incredible, I worry about what happens when they kill all the competition.

One Pass to rule them all.

Doesn't seem to be happening. The competition is the Max Pass, Rocky Mountain Super Pass, Mountain Collective etc. You even see the smaller areas getting together with the Freedom Pass. Now what happens to an area that dares to stand on its own is an interesting question.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
A few years ago we planned a trip to CO and saw that the Epic pass was about the same price we'd end up paying for lift tickets. So, we planned a 2nd trip and bought the passes. On a per day basis I think we were paying half or less that what we otherwise would have paid for tickets. Haven't looked at the current rates but it doesn't take that many days to make it worth while. Living in Southern NE, none of the NE annual passes make any sense for us. At least not any of the passes of which I'm aware.

This is what Vail hopes happens--come twice but a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member

Agree. What amazing deal. Two seasons with that pass. Cool to visit so many areas.

Whitey

I think this shows the wisdom of the multi area pass, and Epic (Vail) were the pioneers. I will say as a skiing consumer, it is something I've wanted to see for a long time. If I was in Colorado or planned to do some Lake Tahoe skiing I would look into it. It changed the game IMHO. Buy the pass then make the travel plans. If Vail, BC, Breck, Keystone and A Basin can't keep you entertained, nothing will. Buy RMSP the next year for variety

Your point about the multi-mtn, all over the US/Canada passes is a good one. The Max Pass was absolutely the deal maker for our trip out west this year. We got the passes and then scheduled our trip out west based on the mtns that were available to us. Made a huge difference in the expense of the trip as the cost of the max pass was less than what we would have spent on lift tickets in CO for the week. On that alone it made sense, but then throw in all the eastern areas it gives us access to - totally changes the calculations to the positive. Not sure I would still be going out west this winter if it weren't for the max pass altering the financials for us like that.

dlague

Doesn't seem to be happening. The competition is the Max Pass, Rocky Mountain Super Pass, Mountain Collective etc. You even see the smaller areas getting together with the Freedom Pass. Now what happens to an area that dares to stand on its own is an interesting question.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Peaks has their Northeast version which many here have jumped on.

VTKilarney

Now that Vail owns Whistler, wouldn't it make sense for them to purchase Jay Peak as a feeder hill for all of the Montrealers? A pass that includes Jay Peak and Whistler would put a LOT of pressure on Tremblant.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now that Vail owns Whistler, wouldn't it make sense for them to purchase Jay Peak as a feeder hill for all of the Montrealers? A pass that includes Jay Peak and Whistler would put a LOT of pressure on Tremblant.

I just don't see Vail interested in an eastern resort. It doesn't fit their model.

4aprice

I just don't see Vail interested in an eastern resort. It doesn't fit their model.

May depend upon how Max Pass does. I don't necessarily see them buying an eastern resort, but it might help to have some eastern "partnerships". DHS brought up ASC but that recipe may have been missing the western ingredient to make it work. I want to ski the west but for the time being am located here in the east. Max Pass is a great combo of east and west and the driver of our ski plans this year. Living out there would be a different story.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

I dream of a world with abasin off the epic pass and on either the RMSP or team up with Loveland and maybe somewhere down south. I would move back to Colorado for that. I like the epic variety in California better than Colorado but I've had some pretty sweet off peak days at Vail and Breck I suppose.

If you're a weekend/holiday skier you really owe it to yourself to get away from Vail Resorts IMO

dlague

I dream of a world with abasin off the epic pass and on either the RMSP or team up with Loveland and maybe somewhere down south. I would move back to Colorado for that. I like the epic variety in California better than Colorado but I've had some pretty sweet off peak days at Vail and Breck I suppose.

If you're a weekend/holiday skier you really owe it to yourself to get away from Vail Resorts IMO

The Epic Pass is a tool in the arsenal - we also have the Gems Card - albeit redundent with A Basin being on the Epic Pass. But that gives me reduced access to Loveland, Monarch, Eldora and Cooper. From Ski movies we have 3 comps and 3 2 for 1 deals for Crested Butte and 3 late season comps for Steamboat, used a comp for Eldora more 2 for 1 deals for Loveland.

We may try the Rocky Mountain Super Pass next year. Or get a Monarch or Loveland season pass as they come loaded with lift tickets to other places. See how this year goes.

4aprice

A-Basin, Luv, WP and Copper, Wow that would be awesome.(don't forget the connection with Steamboat and CB) Throw in Solitude and Brighton for a little Utah love:thumbup:.

Been thinking of you Snoseek as I watch whats going on in the Sierra. Hope you keep sane in the east this year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

Just remember all those passes =
I skied Vail a couple of years ago and one of those days, they set a record for skier visits. The news was reporting over 50,000 people
View attachment 21232
View attachment 21233

Yeah, but...:grin:...that's when you go to Beaver Creek:
LL

or the upper mtn at Breckenridge:
LL

or anything black at Keystone:
LL

dlague

Yes there are plenty of options! I also can completely avoid I-70 going to Breck Keystone and A Basin. And to Loveland as well except for a short stretch but it is opposite direction of traffic. Do wish I lived like 30 minutes closer - once my youngest is out of high school.

dlague

True - they want places with lots of property with room to grow, lots of additional all services and strong loyalty base and relatively close to populations and/or airports.