• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Veterans Day

Glenn

veteran.jpg

110907_Veterans_500.jpg

legalskier

We buried my uncle today; he was a Navy vet an retired FBI.
I found out today that he took part in the D-Day invasion. As his ship was approaching Normandy, it was blown out of the water and he got thrown overboard. Many were killed. Too far from the beach, he probably would have drowned but a passing ship threw him a line. He spent the next three days holed up in a pillbox as the Germans retreated.
He never spoke about it even once. RIP

:flag:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
We buried my uncle today; he was a Navy vet an retired FBI.
I found out today that he took part in the D-Day invasion. As his ship was approaching Normandy, it was blown out of the water and he got thrown overboard. Many were killed. Too far from the beach, he probably would have drowned but a passing ship threw him a line. He spent the next three days holed up in a pillbox as the Germans retreated.
He never spoke about it even once. RIP

:flag:

You must be very proud... sorry to hear of your loss

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Edd

I got out of the Navy literally one week before 9/11. What's happened in the past 10 years makes me feel like I was never even in the military.

drjeff

I still get teared up when I think of the stories that my grandfather, who was a flight surgeon in the navy and was in the air working on soldiers who were injured during D-Day over the beaches of France and the waters of the English channel! True heroes that far too many of us will never be able to fully comprehend the sacrifices they made for us! :flag: