• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

old guys setting PRs for ski days

Kingslug20

My lower back takes a beating once in a while..especially when you hit a steep uphill wall to get iver..really compresses the shit out of it...like yesterday...

jaytrem

This friend will turn 69 in April. Tremendous telemarker and super fit. Another friggin great pow day in UT, this from Solitude 30 March 2023:

View attachment 57856

View attachment 57858

View attachment 57857

BTW, this guy had to take about 10 days off around 1st of March. Sore back from too many super active powder days at Solitude this winter. But he's back skiing strong and aggressively now.
Nice, looks like more coming too. Would really prefer some spring skiing. Have no desired to deal with the crazy Utah powder day traffic. If all goes well, we'll be there Tuesday night, then ski 12 straight. Starting with the northern places, but may sneak down to Sundance on Fri or Sat.

jimk

Nice, looks like more coming too. Would really prefer some spring skiing. Have no desired to deal with the crazy Utah powder day traffic. If all goes well, we'll be there Tuesday night, then ski 12 straight. Starting with the northern places, but may sneak down to Sundance on Fri or Sat.
I posted this in another thread:
As of this date, April 1, 2023, I've been in Utah for 70 days. During that time Snowbird's year to date snowfall total went from approx 300 to 750". If you do the math that averages almost exactly 6" per day. The last two weeks of March received over three feet each. There is another storm predicted for this Sun-Tues that could total 2-3 more feet. It's incredible and truly reaching the point of too much of a good thing. Both BCC and LCC access roads are closing frequently night and day for plowing and avalanche mitigation work. About once a week or more vacationers are having there visits staying up in LCC brought to a halt for 6 to 24 hours by "interlodge" conditions, meaning: no driving, no skiing, no stepping outside the lodge buildings at Alta or Snowbird. This is no April Fools joke. This winter in the Wasatch is historic.

@jaytrem my advice is to follow the weather reports carefully. The roads to Sol/Bright, Alta/Bird and Snowbasin have been closing frequently, especially the last two weeks. With the next big storm coming tomorrow through Tuesday I don't know well to tell you, except remain flexible and go where you can find an open resort, especially the first couple of days of your visit. I think after Wed there will be a few non-storm days. You should have exceptional conditions and hopefully the resorts won't be as crazy crowded as if you were visiting for a snowy week in early March instead of early April. It should even get quiet at many if we go into an extended dry spell.

I normally do most of my skiing at Snowbird, but LCC access road has had so many closures this winter I'm doing more skiing at Solitude than in the past because BCC doesn't close as much. However in the last 2 weeks even BCC it's starting to close a lot too due to many snowy car wrecks and small avalanches blocking the access road.

snoseek

This is the time to check out Sundance imo...

jaytrem

This is the time to check out Sundance imo...
They'll be closed all week until Friday, so any snow that falls should still be untracked. So we're ideally shooting for Friday.

@jimk Yup, I do love the lesser known places. Only been there once. Was a perfect bluebird spring day. Won't complain if it's exactly the same.

We have the ability to be pretty flexible. Staying near Ogden for the first 5 nights, then down to Sandy for 7. Got a Yeti pass, so 1 ticket to each place (kids have 3), along Epic and Indy. Once in Sandy we have no set plan. Should probably do Alta and Deer Valley early. If I break my skis again, I'll stuck on a snowboard for the rest of the week. :) Potential plan...

Wed Nordic (they don't open until 10, so can sleep in after arriving pretty late)
Thur Powder (just seems easier to go on a weekday)
Fri Sundance (closed all week, so potential for untracked days after a storm)
Sat Beaver/Cherry (need that combo to be either Thur or Sat since Cherry not open Sunday nights)
Sun Snowbasin
Mon-Sat BCC/LCC/PC/DV
Sun Canyons (probably cut out early to amusement park)

If anybody would like to meet up for a few runs or just to say hello, please let me know. I'll have my 11 twins with me, but they can ski pretty much anything.

oldfartrider

I’m 65 and still work full time not wfh. Tomorrow will be day 50. If I’m not at the mountain after work I’ll hit the gym do a little cardio and strength. A couple of years ago I was out of breath first day of the season and that smartened me up and about staying in better shape. Generally I’ll lose at least 10 lbs during the season. In the summer I race cars almost every weekend and nothing will make u fat faster than just sitting all day. Hopefully it doesn’t happen this summer. I do most weekends and also went to Japan and Switzerland this year. Hoping to hit 60+ this season.

ColdRain&Snow

Like a few others itt, I worked pretty hard to get in shape for the season and started strong, then didn’t really do much conditioning once the season started.

I had such a blast it was easy to over indulge every which way up there.

My year is done now, and it was a slow rot to the end.

Next winter I’m going to need in season conditioning.

4aprice

62 yo reached the 50 day mark Friday at Deer Valley for the 1st time in many years. Unfortunately the weather down here in the banana belt Pocono's kept me from topping 60 though I have to give them credit for what they did with the hand they were dealt. Is it over for me? Not sure as before I left Denver yesterday, my son was pushing me to come out for a spring extended weekend at Winter Park later this month.

As far as staying fit, my dry land routine is some running, climbing hills, tennis, water skiing + biking in a usual summer. Plus I think I may try to do bi-monthly visits to the "Big Ramp" down in the Meadowlands to keep some skiing muscles active.

Retirement is looming and with the plans already in place I should be logging significant days once it begins.

2Planker

In 41 years. Estimated 1,400 days Patrolling and 1,100 Free Ski days.

Approx 60 ski days/year well into my 60's

Hawk

Until 2005 I spent about 60 days at the Barkah right behind the fireplace most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We must of crossed paths.

2Planker

Until 2005 I spent about 60 days at the Barkah right behind the fireplace most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We must of crossed paths.
Yep, 1990-2010 I was usually on top of The Pig or Barker, so between that & Gourmet Dumpling House our paths have definitely crossed.

Last edited:

drjeff

Some really cool old guys (and gals) making some turns and talking the zen of skiing this past weekend out at the World Pro Ski Tour finals in Taos!

And if you've never watched any of 1984 Women's Olympic GS Champion Deb Armstrong's videos about technical skiing aspects, and you like to ski geek out on tech skiing, well worth watching as she is a great communicator of technical skiing aspects IMHO