• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Volcano eruption near Japanese ski resort injures many

ceo

I can't help wondering why someone thought it was a good idea to build a ski resort on an active volcano.

VTKilarney

I can't help wondering why someone thought it was a good idea to build a ski resort on an active volcano.

With Godzilla ready to pounce, this probably seemed like the least of their worries.

Edd

Japan has an incredible history of disasters, not the least of which is the dropping of two atomic bombs. An eruption at a ski area is probably just a Tuesday over there.

Godzilla-wise, there’s a new anime film on Netflix that’s like nothing I’ve seen with that franchise. Dark and adult, subtitled and dialogue-heavy. That character is very much inspired by the catastrophes they have there. Interesting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Japan has an incredible history of disasters, not the least of which is the dropping of two atomic bombs.

Some disasters can be avoided by not declaring war on half the world and sneak-attacking an up and coming superpower nation.

Others can't (like the natural ones relevant to this discussion).

Edd

Tuna lays down the straight talk. Take that, Japan! Thanks for keeping me on track.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

It being International Holocaust Remembrance Day it's as good a day as any to remember why the war took place.

I like Japan and it's people, it's not about one upping anybody. But calling the bombs a "disaster" reduces the complexity of the decision and events leading up to it.

When 50 to 80 million people die due to a war we are right to point fingers at those at fault for causing the destruction and loss of life.

Is USA morally / ethically responsible for deaths of 200,000 Japanese via A-bomb or does the blame lie with the Japanese government's imperial ambitions to split the Globe with Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy?

I think mostly the latter, due to the nature of the conflict and there being a clear "aggressor" (which was certainly not the USA in this particular conflict), which led me to take issue with the "disaster" comparison.

machski

Isn't Mount Hood still considered an active Volcano?

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

It sure isn't dormant or extinct. I'd go one further with Mammoth. They have hot springs that have powered up and earthquakes threatening in the last decade or so as I recall.

Go look at Whakappa and Turoa in New Zealand. I've been, these signs are above every men's stall in the bathrooms:
2bfa9a523e3962ad476747c22c1b9a58.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Even Yellowstone is a volcano. Yes, it’s alive.

Not very likely to go any time soon. But one day it will.

BenedictGomez

Even Yellowstone is a volcano. Yes, it’s alive.

Not very likely to go any time soon. But one day it will.

That caldera is one of the largest on the planet. When it goes, it will take a big chunk of the west with it, and likely plunge the earth into a volcanic winter lasting for years. Thankfully, scientists think it's likely several hundred thousand years away.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
That caldera is one of the largest on the planet. When it goes, it will take a big chunk of the west with it, and likely plunge the earth into a volcanic winter lasting for years. Thankfully, scientists think it's likely several hundred thousand years away.

I'm a fan of Zentner lecture series . Explains how Yellowstone hot spot has shifted over the eons.