• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

raisingarizona

Bombshell news out of the UTA today....
www.sltrib.com

In a major move, UTA to sharply cut back bus service in three counties, and it’s going to affect skiers

A severe shortage of bus drivers is forcing the Utah Transit Authority to cut service along 20 routes across three counties.
www.sltrib.com
www.sltrib.com

Details on the UTA website -

I can't believe they're pulling this sh!t 7 weeks before opening day. I'm sure there's a ton of vacationers and resort employees that were relying on the 953 and the lesser 901 routes. Busses running at 30 minute intervals when they were at 15 minute before and still jam-packed. Unfreakingbelievable. Shot in the arm to tourism here. Meanwhile I've been on the TRAX system 12-15 times this year and I've never been on a train car even 1/3rd full unless it's a special event.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but this is very fishy given the gondola vs bussing debate happening right now in LCC. These routes are busy with high ridership AND they get funding from the resorts. Totally out of the blue and very little time to re-plan vacations or housing situations.
They aren’t pulling any shit man, the employee shortage in Utah is insane right now. Everyone is struggling. Ive spent more time in Utah for work over the last 2.5 years than I have at my home here in Flagstaff and every business can barely keep their head above water. Many have cut their business hours in half.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Yeah, more like a shot in the head for bus riding tourists and even more so for locals.o_O

This is news to me. Sorry to hear about the demise of the 953 line. That was a convenient alternative for me to travel up/down LCC, even if I drove myself instead of riding the bus 95% of the time. Hopefully, they find some drivers to reinstate 953 during the prime 2 or 3 months of ski season? Absent the 953 line, if I wanted to catch a 994 bus I'd want to park over at that lot they shut down at the base of LCC. I wonder if they will reopen that for people that want to catch a 994 bus up from there?

I doubt that lot is coming back for a bus stop as it regularly fills up now with just people hitchhiking and carpooling.

cdskier

They can’t get drivers. It is a hard job. The clientele suck. The agency is also constantly under public and political scrutiny. Morale is low.

I'm not surprised by any of that. For comparison, here's what NJ Transit is offering bus drivers out here:

Starting hourly rate of $23.21 per hour with top rate of $33.99 per hour

I don't know enough about UT to know how the cost of living out there compares to NJ.

IceEidolon

Even if average cost per bed is lower, if there's no availability your available pool of labor is tiny.

teleo

www.sltrib.com

In a major move, UTA to sharply cut back bus service in three counties, and it’s going to affect skiers

A severe shortage of bus drivers is forcing the Utah Transit Authority to cut service along 20 routes across three counties.
www.sltrib.com
www.sltrib.com

I can't believe they're pulling this sh!t 7 weeks before opening day. I'm sure there's a ton of vacationers and resort employees that were relying on the 953 and the lesser 901 routes. Busses running at 30 minute intervals when they were at 15 minute before and still jam-packed. Unfreakingbelievable. Shot in the arm to tourism here. Meanwhile I've been on the TRAX system 12-15 times this year and I've never been on a train car even 1/3rd full unless it's a special event.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but this is very fishy given the gondola vs bussing debate happening right now in LCC. These routes are busy with high ridership AND they get funding from the resorts. Totally out of the blue and very little time to re-plan vacations or housing situations.
Arrg. Count me in as one of those tourists potentially affected by this.

My plan was to stay in Residence Inn in Cottonwood Heights for 9 days solo in Feb before meeting friends at a condo at Alta for 5 days. Thought this worked well as both the 972 and 953 stop right near the hotel so I can get to Solitude/Brighton (never been to either) and Alta/Bird to make sure I use all 7 Ikon days because I love Alta/Bird. Figured being closer to the canyon roads rather than near Midvale Fort Union would save some time on the bus.

For those of you with more experience out there. Is this plan as good as I thought it was? Will the busses be full by the time they get to Cottonwood Heights? Wondering if I should stay closer to Midvale to be able to catch the 972 and 994 where they start. Any speculation as to if any of these cuts will be reversed?

KustyTheKlown

My plan was to stay in Residence Inn in Cottonwood Heights for 9 days solo in Feb before meeting friends at a condo at Alta for 5 days. Thought this worked well as both the 972 and 953 stop right near the hotel so I can get to Solitude/Brighton (never been to either) and Alta/Bird to make sure I use all 7 Ikon days because I love Alta/Bird. Figured being closer to the canyon roads rather than near Midvale Fort Union would save some time on the bus.

For those of you with more experience out there. Is this plan as good as I thought it was? Will the busses be full by the time they get to Cottonwood Heights? Wondering if I should stay closer to Midvale to be able to catch the 972 and 994 where they start. Any speculation as to if any of these cuts will be reversed?

i dont have a lot of utah bus experience but i did do it once and stayed in a real piece of shit motel 6 in midvale, but i waltzed onto an empty bus that got totally full, even on weekdays, by the park n ride stops

thetrailboss

Staff member
www.sltrib.com

www.sltrib.com
www.sltrib.com

I was going to say it seemed like one hell of a coincidence that the ski routes are being cut while folks are pushing for a gondola.

ss20

i dont have a lot of utah bus experience but i did do it once and stayed in a real piece of shit motel 6 in midvale, but i waltzed onto an empty bus that got totally full, even on weekdays, by the park n ride stops

This is the norm on my route, the 994 Historic Sandy to Alta. Always very quiet at the first couple stops. Packed in by the CVS park n ride with riders sometimes turned away. This is midweek, and with the 15 minute intervals, BTW.

The Historic Sandy Station which I walk to from my apartment, for the record... :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is the norm on my route, the 994 Historic Sandy to Alta. Always very quiet at the first couple stops. Packed in by the CVS park n ride with riders sometimes turned away. This is midweek, and with the 15 minute intervals, BTW.

The Historic Sandy Station which I walk to from my apartment, for the record... :)
So without 953, how many runs are now left up LCC and the time intervals (30 minutes or so it sound like)?

ss20

So without 953, how many runs are now left up LCC and the time intervals (30 minutes or so it sound like)?

With the 994 and 953 at 15 minute intervals there were 8 busses going up every hour. Now there will be 2 busses- just coming from the 994.

With the parking reservations and the limited bed base in the canyon the busses were the only item that had essentially limitless capacity for getting people up here. I think you will see a slight but noticeable decrease in visitation this winter because of that, at least on the busy days when the lots are full. Here's my math-

8 busses per hour with 30 people per bus for 3 hours- the busy time of 7am-10am... 720 skiers going up canyon.
2 busses per hour, 30 people per bus, same 3 hours- 180 skiers going up canyon.

Probably not noticeable at Snowbird but as you know Alta is very sensitive to relatively small changes in skier volume with just the 5 lifts. Even if we're talking a few hundred people.

I am concerned for powder days as the bus was a way for people to get to the mountain without having to take ill-equipped cars up there. Now how many people say "f it" and try driving front wheel drive sedans up the canyon?

thetrailboss

Staff member
With the 994 and 953 at 15 minute intervals there were 8 busses going up every hour. Now there will be 2 busses- just coming from the 994.
Whoa. That is huge.
With the parking reservations and the limited bed base in the canyon the busses were the only item that had essentially limitless capacity for getting people up here. I think you will see a slight but noticeable decrease in visitation this winter because of that, at least on the busy days when the lots are full. Here's my math-

8 busses per hour with 30 people per bus for 3 hours- the busy time of 7am-10am... 720 skiers going up canyon.
2 busses per hour, 30 people per bus, same 3 hours- 180 skiers going up canyon.

Probably not noticeable at Snowbird but as you know Alta is very sensitive to relatively small changes in skier volume with just the 5 lifts. Even if we're talking a few hundred people.

I am concerned for powder days as the bus was a way for people to get to the mountain without having to take ill-equipped cars up there. Now how many people say "f it" and try driving front wheel drive sedans up the canyon?
Agreed. There is now going to be more traffic. :(

teleo

Thanks kusty and ss. I figured I was before the big park and drive so I'd be OK. Now I'm worried this could turn into a PITA, especially for Alta/Bird. If I want to use marriot points, I don't see much of a better option. I guess I hope they find a better bus solution, or take the hotel shuttle or bus/trax to fort union or historic sandy. I guess I could hop on the 972 going the wrong direction in the morning and just stay on it to get to Brighton/Solitude. God I hope they don't screw this up so badly.

jimk

Just got an email from Snowbird: The plan released earlier this week eliminates route 953 (Midvale Fort Union Station to Snowbird/Alta) and reduces route 994 (Historic Sandy Station to Snowbird/Alta) from 15- to 30-minute intervals. We are working with UTA to hopefully reduce the frequency of 953 and not eliminate it altogether. We will keep everyone updated as these discussions continue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just got an email from Snowbird: The plan released earlier this week eliminates route 953 (Midvale Fort Union Station to Snowbird/Alta) and reduces route 994 (Historic Sandy Station to Snowbird/Alta) from 15- to 30-minute intervals. We are working with UTA to hopefully reduce the frequency of 953 and not eliminate it altogether. We will keep everyone updated as these discussions continue.
The comments on FB in response to this are pretty interesting to say the least….

mbedle

What I find interesting about the EIS is the common denominator for each alternatives' costs. Basically, all of the alternatives include 99 million for mobil hubs (the cog alternative and La Caille Gondala are only 56 million for parking), 62 million for Wasatch Blvd widening, 86 million for snow sheds in LCC (the cog alternative is 250 million for snow sheds), 5 million tolling, 5.8 million trailhead parking and 0.82 million for noise mitigation. So they are basically looking at a 258 million base budget no matter what approach they end up taking. So if you are looking for the cheapest approach above the base budget you are stuck with enhanced bus service from the mobility hubs and no bus lane in LCC. That would run around 96 million above its base budget of 258 million. It was also interesting to note that the tolling approach was looking at only collecting the toll at the resorts, so it would only apply to skiers and hikers that want to go that far up the canyon.