• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT Rt 17- Applachian Gap

WWF-VT

Rt 17 does not close in the winter. The Lincoln Gap Road which is the next mountain pass road to the south does close.

Huck_It_Baby

Awesome! Thank you!

I might take that instead of going over to Waterbury to get to 100 when heading to SB, MRG and K-ton from Burlington.

steamboat1

From Burlington to SB or MRG it's good. In fact MRG is near the top of the gap, no need to go to 100. Same thing for SB, no need to go to 100, take the German Flats road. One word of caution though, it is steep & curvy & can be difficult to navigate during inclement weather. Besides Lincoln Gap (which is closed winter) I'd say it's the toughest gap in the Greens. For going to K I'd just go south on 7 to Rutland then on 4 over. There is a shortcut just before Rutland (Post Road) that would take you over to 4 without going into Rutland. Otherwise going to K I'd choose Middlebury Gap over the Appalachian Gap to get to 100. I think (not sure) 116 would be the road to take to either A Gap or M Gap driving down from Burlington (7 would also get you there).

thetrailboss

Staff member
From Burlington to SB or MRG it's good. In fact MRG is near the top of the gap, no need to go to 100. Same thing for SB, no need to go to 100, take the German Flats road. One word of caution though, it is steep & curvy & can be difficult to navigate during inclement weather. Besides Lincoln Gap (which is closed winter) I'd say it's the toughest gap in the Greens. For going to K I'd just go south on 7 to Rutland then on 4 over. There is a shortcut just before Rutland (Post Road) that would take you over to 4 without going into Rutland. Otherwise going to K I'd choose Middlebury Gap over the Appalachian Gap to get to 100. I think (not sure) 116 would be the road to take to either A Gap or M Gap driving down from Burlington (7 would also get you there).

Agree with all this...including the Post Road cutoff. App Gap is a nice drive, but real bad in snow. 4WD/AWD is a good idea. They used to do a bang-up job plowing it, especially since the former governor used to drive that road everyday for work. But after that they they don't do nearly as well When driving it from the west the very last pitch before the top is usually the problem.

From BTV to MRG/SB it is a good route in good weather. You can get to it via Huntington....either by going from Hinesburg or Richmond. The roads can be pretty bumpy with frost heaves, and there is not much traffic, but it is a change of pace from the 89/2/100 route to the MRV.

BenedictGomez

From BTV to MRG/SB it is a good route in good weather. You can get to it via Huntington....either by going from Hinesburg or Richmond. The roads can be pretty bumpy with frost heaves, and there is not much traffic, but it is a change of pace from the 89/2/100 route to the MRV.

Richmond would be no big deal, but Huntington would be a PITA unless you prefer the scenic route. And I'd avoid Huntington in inclement weather. OT and on a side note though, wonderful trout fishing abounds along that route.

Huck_It_Baby

Thanks for all the local info guys! I'm definitely someone who doesn't mind the scenic and off the beaten path route over the highway route.

Good to know the pass is open and that it can be rough in bad weather. I have an AWD Forester but I haven't decided where to go for this storm but perhaps I'll skip going through the pass if I end up going south this time around. I have to believe it's a lower priority for plowing in a snow event.

nelsapbm

The vast majority of people I know who ski MRG from Burlington go through Huntington. Its not a big deal at all. Take 116 through Hinesburg...3-4 miles south of Hinesburg go left on Hinesburg Hollow Road. Follow to end. Turn right on Main Road and it brings you right to 17. Easy Peasy. OR go to Richmond and take the Huntington Road/Main Road to Route 17.

Huck_It_Baby

The vast majority of people I know who ski MRG from Burlington go through Huntington. Its not a big deal at all. Take 116 through Hinesburg...3-4 miles south of Hinesburg go left on Hinesburg Hollow Road. Follow to end. Turn right on Main Road and it brings you right to 17. Easy Peasy. OR go to Richmond and take the Huntington Road/Main Road to Route 17.

Thanks! I just looked at this on the map. Looks like an easy run and roughly the same amount of time as it would take me if I went to 100 via Waterbury.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Yep, this is the route that I was thinking of.